cleaning winchester 290 problems... need help...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g19fanatic

Aug 2, 2010
    Lex Park, MD
    My father had this old winchester 290. It is in great condition but by his account has never been cleaned :innocent0

we took the action apart and cleaned it all like crazy. We had one hell of a time putting the spring back in w/ the bolt but managed ok... expect the bolt will not go all the way back... it stops 1/2 the way and wont go any farther.. almost as if the spring isn't correct... but I do not see how else it could be...

anyone with experience have some tips?

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Sounds like you have the bolt halves turned. Make sure you have the bolt in the cocked position and rotate the lug in the front of the bolt until it lines up with the lug in the back. I do not have the winny you speak of but if you need a pic of another similar bolt let me know. And you need to pull the trigger back or depress the retaining pin/latch to let the bolt slide back in too.

g19fanatic

Aug 2, 2010
    Lex Park, MD
    What's strange is that when I just have the spring and the bolt in, it still will not go all the way back... I will attach a picture of what I mean in a few minutes

edit: attachments added...

1 picture of the bolt in without me pulling it back, 2 of how far I can actually pull it back... As far as i can tell, the spring is in all of the way... but I haven't taken it all apart to see if that is the problem

Attachments

• 2011-04-22_20-10-27_302.jpg
      2011-04-22_20-10-27_302.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 249
    • 2011-04-22_20-10-18_490.jpg
      2011-04-22_20-10-18_490.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 246
    • 2011-04-22_20-10-04_490.jpg
      2011-04-22_20-10-04_490.jpg
      23.4 KB · Views: 250

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    oh. it's a semi. my bad. A picture is worth seeing. there are 2 springs, right? One for the bolt one for the pin? What pushes the pin spring back? The bolt or the bolt spring?

g19fanatic

Aug 2, 2010
    Lex Park, MD
    There is a whole other assembly (with the other spring) that goes in after the one in the pictures. I believe that should be ok... Really just hoping that I do not have to take the stock completely apart and that I'm just missing something small...

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    oh crap. If its anything like the 190 it is a major pain in the ass to put back together. The designer of this gun should have been shot by it.
    I spend a coupe hours trying to get the spring and all back in. it's been a couple years now so I'm sure the trick I figured out has been forgotten.
    The triggers on those things are horrid.
    I would start over if I were you.

g19fanatic

Aug 2, 2010
    Lex Park, MD
    I do think that they are the same

Well...after a few hours of fussing...i managed to put it back together...
    Had to apply A little more muscle than I thought I should have but that was about it...i guess the frustration finally got to me and instead of the normal result when that normally happens...it worked out :-)

Now I'm ready to bring her to the grove to test out :)

Thanks for the help and interest fellas

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom