• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scott60158

Mar 10, 2013
    Harford
    Have done some research and everyone has a different opinion on what is best: aluminum, stainless steel, brass, carbon fiber. I like brass but concerned heavier solvents will break it down. What is good for a handgun barrel.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    i use coated like dewey rods...

opplanet-j-dewey-nylon-coated-rods-pistol-17-caliber-7-inch-17c-7.jpg

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I use Otis. They have a kit with flexible cleaning rods suitable for cleaning both pistols and rifles. You pull the patch (or brush) from breech to muzzle. Seems to work pretty well.

It has bronze attachments but for the length of time it's in the bore, I don't think it will be affected much by copper solvents.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I wonder how many people cause more damage to handgun bores by overcleaning them than if they just shot and kept the locking areas clean and well lubed?? If I'm cleaning the bores of my handguns I just put a patch in the chamber and then fill'er'up with wipe-out foam. I'll come back in an hour or so and run a patch down the bore on one of my rifle rods with the appropriate sized jag. I haven't really needed to do anything besides that, and not very often.

Typically you know when to clean a bore when accuracy is degrading from fouling. I don't think I've ever shot well enough or got to a point where fouling in my non-rimfire handguns has produced a noticeable degradation of accuracy. My OCD usually gets the best of me after a few hundred rounds and I get the wipe out to return everything to squeaky clean.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I have used the same brass rod to clean my pistols for over 40 years. It is a GI rod made for the 1911 and works well with all calibers except .22. It is the same size and consistency as the day I started to use it. Solvents don't bother it at all. Being old school, I only use Hoppe's No.9 and have never lost a barrel yet to either damage or fouling. Being in the Army for so many years, my attitude is that a good weapon is a clean weapon. It has worked for hundreds of years in the military and I see no reason to doubt that a properly cleaned weapon lasts longer and functions better. JMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom