• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    OK, with the warm weather tonight, I trudged back out to the garage and got these old .22's cleaned up.

They were lousy with active rust (kind of evident from the earlier group shot on page 1), but scrubbed up fairly nice for antiques. Much to my surprise, one of them was a shiny nickel, chrome or stainless. (not sure due to lack of info and weak Google-Fu). Amazing how the rust covered it up and a little elbow grease brought it right back.:thumbsup:

The first is a Winchester Repeating Arms Model 90 (1890-1932) chambered in .22 short.
    This is the shiny one I referred to. It has a 24" octagon barrel and a strange wood stock. Not sure as to the type of wood. Definitely not walnut.

The second is a Winchester Repeating Arms Model 06 (1906-1932) chambered in .22 short.
    This one was pretty rough. It was obviously used quite a bit. It must've been leaning against a wall or by the door (as a rabbit gun or such) because you can tell where it was picked up by the barrel everytime. The combination of fingerprints, sweat and moisture took it's toll on the outside of the gun.

Winchester 1890 and 1906 sm.jpg

It cleaned up pretty nice though. I had to scrape a few deep rust spots out, but not bad. It has that dark-spotted, aged look for sure. Pretty pleased with the job overall. Unfortunately, the bore looks like a sewer pipe.

Pretty sure it was a youngster's gun, due to the fact someone carved their initials into the stock. Probably some kid somewhere in the early part of the 1900's popping rabbits and whittling with his pocketknife, pondering the simpler things in life.:)

At least, I'd like to think so.;)

Last edited:

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Winchester did make 1890s with a nickel receiver.
    What is that one chambered in?

It's chambered in .22 short.

I updated the post to now reflect that.:thumbsup: I think I mentioned it in the original group pic, that's why I overlooked it.:o

I really need better reference books. It's really difficult to pin down some of the older/more obscure guns history.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    WOW! Great job. I've got a couple shotguns that were my FIL's. I'm the only one in the family who has any interest in firearms so MIL gave them to me. Unfortunately, none have anything for the non shotgun guru (me) to be able to id them. I've researched the markings on the barrels and they tell nothing about manufacturer. I'll have to do some more research.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    WOW! Great job. I've got a couple shotguns that were my FIL's. I'm the only one in the family who has any interest in firearms so MIL gave them to me. Unfortunately, none have anything for the non shotgun guru (me) to be able to id them. I've researched the markings on the barrels and they tell nothing about manufacturer. I'll have to do some more research.

Google all the info stamped on the gun. It usually pulls up more than you'd think. If you hit a wall, PM me or drop it by sometime.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom