• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have a bunch of different caliber rifles. Most of them come with cleaning kits that I find to be inadequate. I have bough a few different of the cheaper cleaning kits from various places but I find them all to be junk. Who makes the best most reliable cleaning robs and accessories. I am tired of the plastic parts and the skinny brass rods that break or bend.

Any recommendations? I am not looking to buy a sonic cleaner or anything like that but I would like to piece together over time a good reliable quality kit. I don't care if it costs more than average.

I would like to stick to a single brand so that all of the parts fit together correctly, instead of the hodgepodge of stuff I have now.

Thanks!

I have .22lr, 5.45,7.62X39, 7.62X54r, .308, 5.56, 12ga, 45acp, .40, 9mm, .380 and 50 beowulf.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I would recommend getting the Otis cleaning kit that comes with the coated cable and then getting the appropriate caliber-specific nylon bore brushes separately. Otherwise, you'll end up getting a universal kit that will have all kinds of crap you don't want or need.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I use the Otis kit as well. I use the cable when I need portable, and I use Dewey cleaning rods with the Otis brushes, jags, etc. when I'm cleaning at my bench. I have Dewey cleaning rods in .30 cal rifle, .22 cal rifle, and one for .38 cal handgun.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I use Boresnakes. Rod a patch with solvent, squirt Wipeout...wait...run afew patches thru, then Boresnake with a little CLP. BUT. Everyone does it a bit different.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Another vote for Otis. Mix and match, put whatever you need in your Otis kit. The pieces are quality and strong.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Otis to carry when traveling or at the range.

Dewey rods with Park Hale jags and nylon brushed at the house.

DD55

Sep 22, 2013
    Anne Arundel
    I got a off brand cleaning kit for Christmas, which was a very thoughtful gift. The first time I tried to use it the threads on the patch holder stripped and wouldn't stay on the cleaning rod any more. I think I'm going to take the advise on here and try the Otis cleaning kit.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I am a big fan of bore snakes. I really like the fact that you will never hurt the crown using one. Most of the time that is all you need. It is easier, faster and safer. For corrosive ammo or really bad leading I wouldn't rely on a bore snake but I can make my barrel look damn nice using nothing else most of the time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    At least until you talk to someone who has had one break in the barrel. :)

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I have a large Otis set, and have two Tipton rods with the same thread size, 8-32. Tha tmakes life much easier as well.
    Can't beat a nice one piece coated rod.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I use the Otis kit as well. I use the cable when I need portable, and I use Dewey cleaning rods with the Otis brushes, jags, etc. when I'm cleaning at my bench. I have Dewey cleaning rods in .30 cal rifle, .22 cal rifle, and one for .38 cal handgun.

I agree. I like to have the otis and a small rod when I teach classes at the range in case someone hasn't maintained their firearm.

mrdave2010

Aug 8, 2011
    Maryland
    I have an Otis kit that i take to the range every time, but also agree that a bore snake gets you there 99% of the time. I also made my own cleaning kit out of a fishing tackle box inside an ammo box with a bunch of t-shirts. Never been wanting while at the range!

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I agree. I like to have the otis and a small rod when I teach classes at the range in case someone hasn't maintained their firearm.

:thumbsup:

Cannot tell you the number of times I have been glad to had my cleaning kit during a class (and not for demo purposes either).

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I fully concur with the Otis system for general cleaning. If you're a precision shooter (or If you just want to keep your barrel lasting longer) get a single piece Dewey or Tipton rod. Both will fit the Otis brushes.

But here's the real answer: the new solvent on the market make cleaning MUCH easier. I personally use Frog Lube and Fireclean and both make general cleanup a wipe and done affair. Added to that, the current general wisdom is to refrain from over cleaning your barrel. Only use a brush when you see your shot groups open up (500-1500 rounds depending on the rifle) but just a quick pass to get loose material out otherwise.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I'm also a fan of bore snakes. Tend to just use that, some Ballsitol, and some gun oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom