Clarification: XDm with a pinned 10rnd mag now banned?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EVOIXGSR

Straight Baller Status
    Mar 13, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    Title pretty much says it all. Can I now purchase an XDm in MD if it is sold with a pinned magazine that limits capacity to 10 rounds?

edited: changed XDs to XDm

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Title pretty much says it all. Can I now purchase an XDs in MD if it is sold with a pinned magazine that limits capacity to 10 rounds?

As far as I know, both the 9mm and 45acp XDs from Springfield come with factory magazine with a capacity less than 10 rounds anyway.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    You can still buy any handgun regardless of magazine size (assuming you have your HQL or an exemption). If it only comes with 11+ round magazines, you'll simply have to buy the magazines separately out of state.

I believe that some dealers will even ship them to an out of state address for you, but don't quote me on that.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I believe the magazine has to be "permanently" pinned. IE it would take a great deal of effort to remove the pin without damaging the mag. There was guy on ebay selling 30rd mags converted to permanent 10 round mags for CA basically he epoxied the limiter in place so you could not remove the base to make it a 30 rounder again.

jsm7977

Nov 2, 2013
    ive seen a well known dealer in MD simply open a BX25 mag and put a block in it and rescrew it shut and sell it just like that. lol

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    There is no 10 round version of the XDm. SA doesn't make/sell a California version.

So either buy the gun out-of-state and take the magazines home with you. Then transfer the gun naked into Maryland without any mags. Otherwise, you'll have to pay somebody to modify the mags if you want to take possession of them in Maryland. An FFL can receive the mags for you and do this. They aren't banned from receiving them inside Maryland - unlike you.

You are allowed to possess 10+ mags, and you are allowed to buy them out of state, you just cannot buy them in Maryland.

So buy in PA or VA, then transfer the gun. It will likely be cheaper than paying for 10 round mag conversions later.

Yes, this is stupid. It doesn't have to make sense. But it is the law.

You pay a transfer fee and waste some gas.

I own an XDm in 9mm and like it, btw. The only thing about it I don't like is the slightly high bore axis. But it is a rock solid, reliable gun. Easy to clean and certainly more accurate than I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom