Clarification on handgun purchases in MD, with the new law...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Okay... so just to clarify...

If I were to purchase a .38 special revolver before October 1st, I would be exempt from the new requirements that go into effect after that date, yes? The fingerprinting and training classes and all.

IF that is true...

Then what else do I need to legally purchase one here in the state OTHER than taking the hand gun safety class online (which I did), and submitting that paper to the state police?

I wasn't really looking to add a handgun yet, but I may rush it given this stupid new law. (I am sure that is exactly what they intended when writing it :rolleyes: )

Luigi

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2010
    I thought that I read in the SB281 for non lawyers thread, that it only exempts the training, but everything else like fingerprinting etc would still apply?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    The shop will walk you through it.

Then you wait, and wait some more.

2 threads dedicated to the wait times. Expect 2+ months.

*** Just because you don't take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't have an interest in you. ***

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I thought that I read in the SB281 for non lawyers thread, that it only exempts the training, but everything else like fingerprinting etc would still apply?

If you purchase after October 1, and already own another handgun prior to October 1, you are exempt from the training requirement. The printing and background check still applies for the permit.

Before October 1, nothing changes, except long waits and depleted supply.

*** Just because you don't take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't have an interest in you. ***

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If you purchase after October 1, and already own another handgun prior to October 1, you are exempt from the training requirement. The printing and background check still applies for the permit.

Before October 1, nothing changes, except long waits and depleted supply.

Yep, ShallNotInfringe has it correct, as I would expect. Just figured I would back up the result.

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    This is why both my wife and I will be purchasing a firearm BEFORE October 1st!

Waaaay too much BS afterwards.
    Brian
    ---------------------------------------------
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect them selves against tyranny in government.” – Thomas Jefferson

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I know that if you have a purchase order for or have submitted paperwork for an "assault long gun" before Oct 1, you're good to go. What if you purchase a handgun and submit paperwork before Oct. 1 without a handgun license (before the licensing takes effect), but the 'not disapproved' comes back after Oct. 1? SB 281 doesn't seem to address this for handguns. Has anyone stated definitively that the as-of-yet-nonexistent FOID is only mandatory for submittals after Oct. 1?

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Kinda sad that we're talking about this. My solution is to buy handguns out of state. (Legally) I choose not participate in MD gun restrictions.

Rleepremier

Feb 2, 2012
    So what about guns that have factory mags that are more then 10? Like will the sig p226 and p229 be banned? If so DAMN IT I shouldn't have sold my p229.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    And that is from the state police, right? Is there a form I have to submit, or does the gun shop walk you through that?

The gun shop will walk you there the fun forms you have to fill out. There are extra forms for regulated weapons vs un-regulated. As long as you have the piece of paper for the online "training" and your DL and a way to pay for it. You are good to go.

Thanks
    Robert

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    do digital fingerprints on file already count for anything since they havent changed since they were digitally taken

My understanding is they want a fresh set even though your prints may already be in the system. My understanding is if your prints are already in the system it is to confirm it is you. If they are not it is to add them in in-case the Gun makes you go out and shot some one :).

Thanks
    Robert

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So what about guns that have factory mags that are more then 10? Like will the sig p226 and p229 be banned? If so DAMN IT I shouldn't have sold my p229.

The guns will not be banned. You just will not be able to get the high capacity mag with them. Thing is, unless you can find one that is limited to 10 rounds, you are going to be SOL unless you buy the high capacity mags out of state.

New York had to amend its law because nobody was making 7 round mags.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN

No. One of 2 things will happen.

1) You wont be allowed to take the Mag that came with the gun out of the shop and you will be force to either buy 10 rounders in the state or go out of state and buy there standard size ones and drive them back into the state.

2) The shop with get the 10 round versions of these guns into there shop.

Most of the popular handguns have 10 round versions for there guns.

Thanks
    Robert

Rleepremier

Feb 2, 2012
    The guns will not be banned. You just will not be able to get the high capacity mag with them. Thing is, unless you can find one that is limited to 10 rounds, you are going to be SOL unless you buy the high capacity mags out of state.

New York had to amend its law because nobody was making 7 round mags.

So I can purchase the gun, but I won't be able to get a mag for it. Awesome way to get a expensive paper weight.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, you cannot buy/receive an over 10 round mag in MD after Oct 1.

You can still get 10 round mags, and most popular pistols have 10 round mags, due to previous Federal and current CA laws.

You will be able to buy over 10 round mags OUTSIDE MD and legally bring them back into the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom