• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Has anyone ordered a Chinese Type 53 from SOG?

SLG-T53_angle2.jpg

http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns-2/surplus-longguns/chinese-type-53-carbine.html

Mr_Wolf

Aug 24, 2009
    Ridgely
    I received mine Thursday, and was less than pleased. The barrel is completely shot out. Needless to say, it's being returned. They gave me the option of swapping it for another one or getting my money back. I may give it another go....

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I received mine Thursday, and was less than pleased. The barrel is completely shot out. Needless to say, it's being returned. They gave me the option of swapping it for another one or getting my money back. I may give it another go....

Who was your supplier? SOG?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Imported by Century. SOG purchased quite a few of the T53's from Century. I knew these guns would be in LESS than desirable condition so was not inclined to get any.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Pardon my ignorance, but is there any difference/benefit in a Chinese 53 over a Russian or Polish M44? Been wanting one of those Polish M44s a long time now.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I won't be able to tell you until tomorrow.

UPS and it's friggin rules, they won't let you specify a time of day for delivery anymore :mad54:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    a chinese type 53 in good shape is a relatively rare thing. the vast majority were used and abused till they were in rough shape before being retired, and then were not stored very well.

and because of the import ban, most of the retail stocks that hit the US market have been sitting in a container somewhere for a decade or more.

i bought 3 for $35 a piece a few years ago when omega out in AZ was selling off their old stock of them that had been sitting since the ban, thankfully sitting in a desert is not so bad for rust.

2 out of 3 cleaned up nice with decent bores, the other one has a completely shot out bore, but was decent cosmetically after clean up.

if you're looking for a good condition shooter, i wouldnt be looking for a type 53, pay a little more, get a soviet in nice condition. if you're a mosin collector howerver and want to get an example of a chinese mosin, then thats a pretty good price if you get one thats in decent condition with a shootable bore.

your only other option to fill that hole is to wait around for a rare one in great condition to hit the market on gunbroker or something but its gonna be a lot more than $150.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just opened the box from SOG. the rifle is a little battle weary, but I'm kinda disappointed that there is no sling or field kit.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    May 13, 2005
    I just got my two from SOG.

The first one had the 'test symbol that was talked about in the other thread. It's in 'relatively' good condition, but not very good. Stock is awful looking, but no cracks or gouges much, just discolored. I'm keeping this one.

The second one is in FAIR condition at best. The bore is a coal mine with non-circular bumps in parts of it. The stock has a few dog bites out of it and the trigger breaks at about half the weight of a normal mosin and just doesn't feel right. This one is getting returned and I will exchange it for another one.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Actually, I got one a couple of years ago from Tom Bennett. I don't know who consigned it to him but it's a really nice 1953. It filled out (mostly anyway) my M-1944's. It joined my Russian, Polish, Romanian and Hungarian. Wait a minute, I think I have another one but can't think of it right now. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom