• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stevegee58

Spooky
    Aug 5, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    I've been casually looking at SKS's and I'm trying to get a feel for what reasonable pricing is for these things.

I recently saw a Chinese SKS in reasonable cosmetic shape for $425, which includes 100 rounds of ammo and some stripper clips. Is this about par for the course or should I pass and hold out for the next gun show?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    +1, anything over $350 is too much... I just picked up 2 FN49's (think SKS on steriods with high quality machine work) for $550 each. If you're looking at $425, you might as well be looking at an FN49 in 8mm.

Mark

stevegee58

Spooky
    Aug 5, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    OK, so it sounds like $350 is about the max for a retail sale. I see quite a few SKS's on gunbroker for around $350, so I figured that was the average price.

I'll hold out for a better deal and keep my cash dry.

Where'd you get yours, aquaman?

stevegee58

Spooky
    Aug 5, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Is it by chance one of the ones that accepts AK mags? If so, $425 isn't that bad of a price.

No, it's a plain vanilla SKS with a fixed 10 round magazine.

I forgot to mention that the original sights on this SKS were replaced with new-looking peep sights. How much would a set of peep sights go for? I can't believe they'd account for the $100+ premium on this SKS.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    A member here, I found a few on gun brfoker a month ago for 230 (end bid) take my advice, no sks is worth more than 300.

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    I paid $175 for my Chinese Norinco SKS 3 years ago when I started collecting them. Came with a scope and a hard case too. I would say $250 would be my max for trying to buy another SKS. Great guns, though. Want to buy another one to put a different stock on it and maybe make it be able to take AK mags.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    A member here, I found a few on gun brfoker a month ago for 230 (end bid) take my advice, no sks is worth more than 300.

I'd say that for most SKS's but not all. I'd ask more than that for my 54 Izhevsk ($500) and my Chinese police marked ($350) 1949 marked go for big bucks.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I'd say that for most SKS's but not all. I'd ask more than that for my 54 Izhevsk ($500) and my Chinese police marked ($350) 1949 marked go for big bucks.

Well for a collector its different, most folks jjust want an sks for cheap shooting or to customize. I think the op just wants to shoot

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom