Chicago based instructor Classes at Guntry, Anyone Know anything?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    A lifetime friend posted about this guy on Facebook who supposedly is teaching CCW class at Guntry
    one session in Aug 12/13 the other in Sept 9/10. Anyone know anything about the instructor or Guntry? It is the closest place to me and a price I think is fair other than 0

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    This seems off to me. I took a class there this week and my 1 1/2 hour class was around $60. I try to get to Guntry at least once a week.

I'm not saying it's not legit, but $150 for a 16 hour W&C course at Guntry with an out-of-state instructor seems very unlike Guntry. If the instructor is as his website says (mikebrownclasses.com), then there is a Mike Brown in Chicago that does have his certification through MSP: https://emdsp.mdsp.org/verification/.

Last edited:

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    $150 with rental , ammo and targets is of course not where they are making the profit.

Guntry is probably subsidizing the instructor so they can get brand new shooters in, which equals gun sales, more instruction sales, more membership sales.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Guntry is a very nice facility and a bit spendy. I would check with them before giving this guy any $. If it's legit it's a deal- let's see-50 people at $150 a head is a nice piece of change for 16 hour class

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    73b86c_d2904a0c470245ba8ce8dfa5fadfb812~mv2.jpg

Somehow, you can tell he's the instructor

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I took my W&C class at Guntry. No hidden fees. Fingerprints were included. Only extra was the BS fee to the crown but that has nothing to do with Guntry.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Stupid. Just think, if it was Michigan, under the new proposed law, you would be up for charges for hurting someone's feelings.
    This was NOT for w&c training, to be clear. Hahaha. This was contract instruction for armed personnel on a federal site. In THEORY, they should be better than average. Definitely not the case in my limited experience.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This was NOT for w&c training, to be clear. Hahaha. This was contract instruction for armed personnel on a federal site. In THEORY, they should be better than average. Definitely not the case in my limited experience.
    You mean your shirt, right?

(This guy is giving MD W&C)

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    You mean your shirt, right?

(This guy is giving MD W&C)
    Yeah, my wiseass work shirt. Dress code said collared shirts, listed colors. Tan pants.

I was replying to chili about the butthurt thing.

I don't know the guy in the picture but I want the patch because it's hilarious. I have no comment on his choice to wear Firearms Instructor on every garment. I can't take a position without more information. I worked a job briefly where the instructors wore a specific color of shirt with "instructor" on both sides. Issued uniform. If this guy is doing it so his students can rapidly and easily spot him on the line or in a group, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

If it's like the toolbox being discussed in another thread who is an "alpha" then I will have a different take. Being as I don't know, gotta give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Might be a cool guy who has his students' best interests at heart. Never know.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , $150 is good price for Maryland Poll Tax Certificate .

I hesitate to say " too good " , but in speaking with lots of training providers , with a borrowed class room , and DNR range , $175 was " basically just breaking even , because I believe in this stuff " .

Guntry's price for the W&C Class with their usual in house staff instructors is $350 . So Guntry would have to be donating free classroom space and free range time to out of town guy , for this to be at all possible . Could it be so ? Maybe .

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    4g64loser, I viewed some of his youtube videos. Interesting presentation in some.

He is a colorful character, but it appears his messages are clear on safety and also how fast it can go from 0 to deadly.
    I suspect the benefit of a doubt does apply in that his garb is definitely to stand out and be spotted.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yes , $150 is good price for Maryland Poll Tax Certificate .

I hesitate to say " too good " , but in speaking with lots of training providers , with a borrowed class room , and DNR range , $175 was " basically just breaking even , because I believe in this stuff " .

Guntry's price for the W&C Class with their usual in house staff instructors is $350 . So Guntry would have to be donating free classroom space and free range time to out of town guy , for this to be at all possible . Could it be so ? Maybe .
    I guess a phone call to Guntry is an easy enough way to check.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom