• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    In Hawaii they brought in the mongoose to get rid of rats. Well one sleeps during the day and the other is nocturnal so they never see each other. So the mongoose decided to eat birds and their eggs and now there are whole species of birds that don't exist on the islands. We don't always anticipate the results when we mess with nature.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Well Calvert county sure has plenty of money to waste.

I delivered 10 $1,500 chairs to the courthouse last week. :sad20:

You know what, i wont say that's the county's fault.

It seems that when the supplier gets a quote they will adjust the price depending on who is coming from.

I work at Calvert Cliffs, and you would not believe the price we pay for some stuff. Just because they think we are made of money. Most employers call it the nuclear tax. :tdown:

What most companies dont get is that it will just get passed down to them on the electric rates. :innocent0

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    same for most engineering companies! Even a ballast cost more if you order through a supplier when i can get one form lowes for 20 dollars cheaper.
    You know what, i wont say that's the county's fault.

It seems that when the supplier gets a quote they will adjust the price depending on who is coming from.

I work at Calvert Cliffs, and you would not believe the price we pay for some stuff. Just because they think we are made of money. Most employers call it the nuclear tax. :tdown:

What most companies dont get is that it will just get passed down to them on the electric rates. :innocent0

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Bugs over man? Nice, simplify a complex issue to rationalize away a species. Is a person's life at risk? Does our comfort or water front views justify making a species go extinct? We fight tooth and nail for our civil rights, but then justify away the right of something else to live just because we think that it's insignificant. No, I will never say that a bugs life should ever supersede a person's life, but we have been given dominion and the gift of reason to maintain and cultivate this world. IMHO, every one of God's creatures has the right to exist. Just because we are the strongest and smartest, doesn't mean we should just bulldoze the world as we see fit.

Edit: and notice I said earlier that I feel bad for the folks dealing with this. I don't blame them for the anger they feel, and in their shoes I'd be pretty pissed too. However, my anger would be directed towards the developers for developing and selling these properties, especially if they didn't disclose the environmental issues before the contracts were signed.

Millions of species have become extinct since life emerged on the planet. Some of those became extinct because of domination by other species. Losing a rare species of beetle with a very limited ecological footprint isn't going to make any difference in the long run.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Not just some beetle. This community was built along a shoreline that contains one of two viable populations (worldwide) of the Puritan Tiger beetle which is a critically imperiled, federally threatened species. The developer knew of the restrictions from what I understand when they first proceeded to build and sell lots at this location.. I feel bad for the home owners here, but these beetles can't just be relocated and they have been here before man had ever first laid eyes on this shoreline.

Yeah, some enviro genius decided the Marines were killing off some plant life too with their beach landings. After they were forced to stop, the plants started dying. Turns out that their maneuvers actually helped the plants to flourish.

http://youtu.be/JeSMPESpxdA

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    What, no known natural predators ?

Seagulls will eat ANYTHING. Why not these damned bugs ?

And what happens when the cliffs totally collapse ? Will the EPA pay for relocation to sunny Florida, or should they just rely on ...

Genesis 1:26

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Bugs over man. Nice.
    Well Thailand's Lac beetle's juices are used
    for that clear coating that dissolvable capsules use.
    That saves lives.
    And since a beetle isn't going to determine anyone's continued existence, try to find an example where life and death isn't your focus.

It might.
    BUT - not this Beetle!

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    When I first saw this thread I was sure it was about other problems in CRE, not the Cliff erosion. Are there any homes in the CRE proper that are even affected by the beetle? I know of a few houses up and down the Cliffs, but not in Chesapeake Ranch Estates.I figured this thread was more about the lack of Calvert County helping with the trash problems in CRE.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Never forget that Mother Earth considers man as just another parasite. Expendable like so many species over the past few billion years.
    OK, but never forget that it is man that has evolved into the dominant species on earth so if some beetles have to go to benefit man so be it. If mother earth then wants to take out man so be it, but until then humans before beetle's.

lefever2

Status Unknown
    Jun 19, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    As for the beetles and the cliffs, the beetles are more of an excuse than a problem. The reason the cliffs are almost vertical is because they are constantly being undercut by wave action. The typical slope tends towards 30 degrees which is much more stable. Put lots of rip rap to protect against the wave erosion and the slope will retreat over time to about 30 degrees taking the house at the top with it. As for the rate of cliff retreat, it might take years to retreat a few feet but given the right conditions like a hurricane it could retreat many tens of feet fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom