• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    Anybody have experience with one of these? I have a Ruger LCR 9 revolver, but I'm interested in picking up another 9mm revolver, but not ready to dish out for a S&W 986. I would dish out for a model 547, but I've never seen one in person.

Thoughts?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Issues to consider:
    - Spotty quality control.
    - Front sight is part of the barrel and not replaceable.
    - Slow to load. Cartridges must be pressed in by hand to overcome the spring retainers.
    - Speedloaders won't work.
    - Finicky extractors. Fingernails or small rod/dowel needed to remove stuck cases.
    - Somewhat common issues are light strikes and cylinder freeze.
    - Charter Arms recommends cleaning it every 50 rounds.
    - Most importantly, you already own a 9mm revolver that's better in every way.

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    Spotty quality control and finicky extractors are enough to sway me. Apparently, Smith did a really good job with the rimless cartridge extractors, but I can only find a model 547 overpriced on gunbroker. Thanks for your input.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Issues to consider:
    - Spotty quality control.
    - Front sight is part of the barrel and not replaceable.
    - Slow to load. Cartridges must be pressed in by hand to overcome the spring retainers.
    - Speedloaders won't work.
    - Finicky extractors. Fingernails or small rod/dowel needed to remove stuck cases.
    - Somewhat common issues are light strikes and cylinder freeze.
    - Charter Arms recommends cleaning it every 50 rounds.
    - Most importantly, you already own a 9mm revolver that's better in every way.

are you speaking form personal experience?
    i fired a friends pit bull in .40. no issues with function or extraction.:)

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

But that's anecdotal, you don't own it, and it's a different revolver. Check out professional reviews on the 9mm. The reviewers encountered the problems I listed, using guns provided to them by the company. If problems are unique to one reviewer, you might take a mental note and still proceed. When problems are commonplace among reviewers, it's wise to be very cautious.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    are you speaking form personal experience?

i haven't fired either but when i was looking into picking one up, i found more positive reviews for the .40 than the 9mm

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    But that's anecdotal, you don't own it, and it's a different revolver. Check out professional reviews on the 9mm. The reviewers encountered the problems I listed, using guns provided to them by the company. If problems are unique to one reviewer, you might take a mental note and still proceed. When problems are commonplace among reviewers, it's wise to be very cautious.

so you own one or have fired one?

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    so you own one or have fired one?

Let's turn it around. You haven't stated any pros or cons yet. Have you seen a 9mm Pitbull in person? How many rounds have you fired through a 9mm Pitbull? Roughly over how many range and cleaning sessions?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Let's turn it around. You haven't stated any pros or cons yet. Have you seen a 9mm Pitbull in person? How many rounds have you fired through a 9mm Pitbull? Roughly over how many range and cleaning sessions?

I believe your rebuttal is non sequitur. Since you have no personal experience with the pit bull, you cannot give a proper response. Hearsay and rhetoric is all you have. If you have anything constructive to add to this thread please do so.

Last edited:

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    I settled on a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 9mm/357 Mag. I'd still eventually like to pick up a DA/SA 9mm revolver. I know that my S&W Model 547 is out there somewhere.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I've been bugging Charter Arms for a 4"+ Barrel 9mm pitbull with target sights. They say it's coming but I haven't seen it yet...

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    For Model 547 money, you're way better off waiting for the Korth Sky Marshal.

I've been eyeing this with no real news. If it's MSRP or below (like things are supposed to be) I will the guy submitting this to the roster!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom