• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    What a wonderful cartridge! Possibly the best thing ever! I loved the increased recoil, lower mag capacity, marginally bigger hole, and excessive muzzle flip! It's as if this cartridge manages to combie every downside of 9mm and .45acp without doing anything particularly great.

Most of that was a joke (my name is Chad, couldn't resist). I fired a Glock 19 back-to-back with a 23 today. The 23 flung shots all over the target, the muzzle flip was quite excessive and would make quick follow-up shots quite difficult, all of these downsides and the cartridge is only a hair bigger than 9mm. Personally, I would rather pack a 9mm because I can put down accurate double or triple taps for every single shot of .40S&W.

If you like the catridge more power to you, 9mm is a good round so something with a hair more punch isn't bad, I just can't understand why 90% of the police departments in the country are all doing a massive circle jerk around the cartridge and proclaiming it to be the best thing ever.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I dont really understand why people get their panties in a bunch over this.

I shot .40 fine and have no issues with follow up shots.

My full size guns carry 12-15 rounds of it while my compact carries 10.

Both are crappy rounds for self defense....both are capable of doing the job though.

I do plan on buying a 9mm soon however just to have another "nato" spec round user in the gun safe.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    My 72 year old grandpa shoots .40 just fine. I've never heard him complain about how snappy the round is. Maybe he's just a product of his time...a time before everyone turned into little candy asses.

But then again, my 5' 3", 120 lb girlfriend can shoot it just fine too. Just sayin....

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you like the catridge more power to you, 9mm is a good round so something with a hair more punch isn't bad, I just can't understand why 90% of the police departments in the country are all doing a massive circle jerk around the cartridge and proclaiming it to be the best thing ever.

The failure of the 9mm round in the Miami Shootout to penetrate barriers. 180gr bullet 50% more mass than the 115gr 9mm. Just a little history lesson. FBI should have stayed with the 10mm but we know how that went.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    The failure of the 9mm round in the Miami Shootout to penetrate barriers. 180gr bullet 50% more mass than the 115gr 9mm. Just a little history lesson. FBI should have stayed with the 10mm but we know how that went.

So split the difference and use 147gr 9mm :)

Seriously, I have owned both, and to me its just preference. I thought both handled fine, but it is true that the .40 had a lot more muzzle flip, and my gf had issues with follow up shots. She does not have that problem with my 9mm or 45 acp

JasonN3ZBO

Sep 7, 2010
    Lovettsville, VA
    I shoot .40 and really enjoy it. I have a Sig P229 and with the extra weight of an all metal gun, the recoil and muzzle flip is dampened considerably over any of the plastic wonder pistols on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom