• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I've never handled hydrodip. It looks interesting. One thing I have noticed about the patterns I have seen so far is that they appear a little busy. Some people like that, but I don't

I did recently get one of my ARs cerakoted and I love it. It's quality finish. I think I'm going to do it to all my builds going forward. Maybe even one or two of my handguns.

zombie killer

Sep 11, 2013
    Cerakote is definitely more durable, but I think most placs are putting on a clear coat of cerakote on top of the hydro so then it just comes down to what design you want.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Usually people compare cerakote to duracoat.

I'd recommend cerakote unless you really want a complex pattern which would be hard to do with paints.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Different things.

Cerakote or Durakote are tough protective coatings to protect the metal and provide a color base.

Hydrodipping is to put a pattern on a base color. It is VERY fragile, so the design is protected by a clear coat.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Does anyone know of Polymer can be Cerakoted or does it need to be hydro dipped.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ok - I just checked and the only hydro-drip patterns I like are cammo. Since that can be accomplished with cerakote, that's what I am going with. Maybe would go for a nature pattern on a hunting rifle or shotgun, but not a tactical looking AR. I have seen skull patterns and the like that are very well done - but that's not for me.

I have used Duracoat and I think that's fine for furniture, but for barrel and receiver, Cerakote is probably superior since it holds up to higher temperatures.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Your barrel and receiver should never get hot enough to bother Durakote.

That much heat and you will have burned out your barrel, so the coating is not issue. :)

But you can Cerakote stocks and even scopes. Or Durakote them.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Part of me wants to just get a 3 color dura coat kit and do this myself. Another part of me says have a pro do it right. Will probably just take it to Bollingers. Done.

Bollinger has very fair pricing and they do great work. Im gonna be taking a Rem 700 to them soon for cerakote. They hydrodipped my wife's ar15 for Christmas. Hers is the top one we did a his&hers build as Christmas presents this year.

Attachments

• 20140106_144851.jpg
      20140106_144851.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 131

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Does anyone know of Polymer can be Cerakoted or does it need to be hydro dipped.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    Polymers can be Cerakoted, as long as you don't cure them too hot.. they have a lower cure temp table for plastics, etc.. You can also get an air cure Cerakote (no heat cure required), but I've never tried it. I have used the H series Cerakote and it's good stuff! :party29:

To the OP, H series Cerakote may not be suitable for bbls, or muzzle devices, due to the heat. Receivers, no problem, I've done upper and lowers both, but they make a high temp version for headers, etc. A buddy of mine is going to do some spraying of that on muzzle devices soon, anxious to see how it performs!

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    For those that know a little bit about Cerakote, I have a question. The Keymod Rail I plan on getting uses a special Nasa type coating instead of being anodized because the rail is made of Magnesium. The manufacture recommended not to bead blast the finish off because of the rail being Magnesium. Does anyone know if you can usually just apply the Cerakote over top the coating that's already there or does it need to be blasted first?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Many will blast, then anodize, then Cerakote, so as long as the coating is well adhered and the surface is already roughed up prior to coating with the Nasa coating and it can take 2 hrs at 250F in the oven, you should be fine. I don't know how well the Cerakote will adhere to a smooth surface with no bead blast, but if the other coating is well adhered, I think you'll be fine... it may be a little more glossy in appearance too without the beading first..

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ok - I dropped the AR off at Bollinger today for a multi-cam woodland pattern. Also dropped off my CZ 75 (which has a terrible enamel paint finish that has always bothered me). Will post pics when they come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom