• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kerplooey

Jul 29, 2008
    Nunyabidness
    Good morning, all. I am looking for recommendations for a good all around defense gun for my mother. She is recently widowed, but still quite spry at 71 years of age, and still looking to set out in her RV on her own. The interwebs are loaded with Top 5's of this and that, but thought I'd see if anyone had any good experiences with different calibers, frame sizes, and types (revolvers, etc.). I've also considered getting her a shotty for home and maybe something to carry when out and about. Thanks!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Good morning, all. I am looking for recommendations for a good all around defense gun for my mother. She is recently widowed, but still quite spry at 71 years of age, and still looking to set out in her RV on her own. The interwebs are loaded with Top 5's of this and that, but thought I'd see if anyone had any good experiences with different calibers, frame sizes, and types (revolvers, etc.). I've also considered getting her a shotty for home and maybe something to carry when out and about. Thanks!
    My aunt, same age, carries a smith and wesson airweight 638 revolver. She's unwilling to go bigger as she's not really a gun person and is very active. She rides horses, maintains her hobby farm, etc. A full size pistol is just not her thing. Now, that said, she is strong for her age and still runs all her own tools. The recoil of an airweight is not a lot of fun.

A couple people I know have outfitted their aging relatives with the smith EZ line of pistols. Their reduced slide effort seems to make them popular with people who have less hand strength. On the subject of shotguns, the recoil becomes a problem for older people. Why not a 9mm PCC or a 556 carbine? Less recoil than a shotgun and much more.mag capacity. I find that most people can shoot a 9mm PCC very well with minimal training.

kerplooey

Jul 29, 2008
    Nunyabidness
    You aunt sounds very similar to my mom. I will check out your recommendations. I was considering a shotgun just for the ease of clearing the door in case of an intrusion.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Even thou the EZ line of S&W seem to be attractive I have seen almost everyone who has have issues with the grip safety, and I am not talking one or two, I mean like 10.

My 76 y/o mother got a walther pdp-f and shoots it great, she can cycle the slide with out any issues. She had constant problems with the grip safety on the ez9 due to arthritis. The pdp-f is a little chunky for ccw but would work, and is a dream to shoot, I have one as well for teaching.

I would look at the ruger security 380 light rack as well, its 15 rounds 380.

I would second a 9mm ppc for the home, I used to highly recommend the high point carbine in 9mm. I know some will laugh, but they are cheap and reliable. Throw a red dot on one, preferably a 30mm one, and a flash light and they will do the job just fine. ( edit they may even be 50 state legal )

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    You aunt sounds very similar to my mom. I will check out your recommendations. I was considering a shotgun just for the ease of clearing the door in case of an intrusion.
    Shotguns, for a solo operator, are NOT great weapons. Low capacity, high recoil, hard to reload quickly, heavy ammo. Nobody who isn't a shooter will devote the time and expense to training shotgun reloading under pressure to an acceptable standard. The logical conclusion is that they will shoot the tube dry and be left with a backup (if they happen to have one on their body).

The AR15 platform is ergonomic, accurate, and extremely modular. It has some weaknesses but none of them really apply to someone in the home defense scenario (sustained automatic fire is where you typically see things happen). If it's just for the house and you are setting her up with a 9mm handgun, definitely look at the 9mm ar systems. Only one ammo to stock and they are less miserable to shoot inside than a 556 if it comes to that. Cheap to practice and.can be shot on most pistol ranges too.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Shotguns are unwieldy and high recoil.

For HD, a 9mm PCC would be ideal in this case.

For CCW, the EZ line in 9mm would work well.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Or the lawn. Ma Boggs approves.

Even thou the EZ line of S&W seem to be attractive I have seen almost everyone who has have issues with the grip safety, and I am not talking one or two, I mean like 10.

My 76 y/o mother got a walther pdp-f and shoots it great, she can cycle the slide with out any issues. She had constant problems with the grip safety on the ez9 due to arthritis. The pdp-f is a little chunky for ccw but would work, and is a dream to shoot, I have one as well for teaching.

I would look at the ruger security 380 light rack as well, its 15 rounds 380.

I would second a 9mm ppc for the home, I used to highly recommend the high point carbine in 9mm. I know some will laugh, but they are cheap and reliable. Throw a red dot on one, preferably a 30mm one, and a flash light and they will do the job just fine. ( edit they may even be 50 state legal )
    The voice of reason. :bowdown:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    From the beating dead horse department , don't ask us , it's what works adaquately for her . that she doesn't object to , and is at least somewhat suitable for intended purposes .

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    From the beating dead horse department , don't ask us , it's what works adaquately for her . that she doesn't object to , and is at least somewhat suitable for intended purposes .
    I agree with this. It is also why I have several handguns I bring to classes so people can try em. I have a decent spread of stuff for people to try. If you local ish to 21158 hit me up and we can let her shoot lots of different stuff.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Really?

Why don't we narrow down dozens of choices to several for someone that doesn't know?

From that she can decide what works adequately for her.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    I like the ez. But as someone mentioned grip safety, and also they can be easier to limp wrist. Worth shooting one before buying one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Really?

Why don't we narrow down dozens of choices to several for someone that doesn't know?

Hoisted me on my own semantics . :)

Dozens of choices can can be somewhat filtered .

* Reasonably suitable for intended purposes * can filter out the really off the wall possibilities . And any particular physical capabilities / disabilities can filter out the blatantly poor choices .

From there , there will be typically 3 or 4 * Catagories * worthwhile for her ( them generally ) to try out .

There usually isn't a watershed difference between the various gererally acceptable options within a catagory .

So have her ( them generally ) initially try out one or two representative examples of each category . Either wnd of spectrum of Hate/ Instantly Love will point a direction to explore . But keep a straight face . and don't telegraph your favorites or preferences .

If one catagory goes pretty good , and the others are Meh , explore within that catagory .

If all the original options all significantly suck , rethink the parameters , and think farther out of the box.

If all the varieties of initial options go over pretty well , you have a non problem , problem

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Would having a long gun avoid legal troubles with transporting handguns in certain states like MD?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Yes

A hi-point carbine in 45 ACP will fit the HD job nicely. Can be shot indoors because it is not as loud as a handgun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well . Deagles are BIG , with very long trigger reach , and heavy . If Mom is 6' tall , 180 lbs , and milks cows or throws hay bales every day on the farm , then maybe ?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Lots of variables to consider.

House gun/carry gun
    Handgun permit?
    Traveling with firearm?
    Hand strength/recoil sensitivity?
    Revolver/semi-auto?

For simplicity of operation, a S&W or Colt snubby loaded with wadcutters* is worth considering, especiall if carryong is an option. Small and light beats a ig heavy gun that will stay home in a drawer. I'd go with the "hammerless" (actually concealed hammer) guns; you can get a Colt Detective Spl with a shrouded hammer if you want to bump the capacity to 6 over 5.

Semi-auto adds a couple layers of complexity and strength issues; I can't even load a full magaine without a mechanical aid, to name just one.

Getting a permit is an expensive PITA unless Mom lives in a free state; traveling, or even carrying, can be a problem.

* I like wadcutters; they make a nastier hole than the typical LRN, they don't kick the crap out of you when shooting, they're good for the range as well. If she feels range ammo is too feeble for social work, Buffalo Bore has some nice but pricey alternatives in the WC format. They also use low-flash powder, which is thoughtful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom