CCW: Full size easier to conceal for some?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    May people that advocate carrying full sized pistols: don't. Having a 1911, Glock 17 or M9 in the glove box, under the seat, in the trunk etc. is not the same as having a J-frame or a Kahr in your back pocket...

Buy whatever you will carry always, always carry whenever possible.

Good luck

Jerry

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Beware the broad brush.

Full-frame is all some of us carry, simply because we don't own compacts. The smallest gun I own is a pocket .25, that is by no means a primary - in anyone's book.

Although after 3 days straight, even with a good holster and gun belt, you do finally start to notice the weight penalty of carrying a full-frame.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I carry a CZ P-01(compact) in a Comp-Tac MTAC. No complaints. I was cleaning a few pistols tonight and wanted to see how bad my CZ P-09 (full size) would print in comparison. Not sure what's going on, but the P-09 concealed much better. Anyone else experience this?

I am currently carrying a Glock 19 and it is just to big. It was fine when I lived in Maryland and carried a few times a year but now that I live in TN and carry 99% of the time I leave my house I find the Glock 19 is too heavy. I am going to head out looking from something lighter. I am thinking the Nano might be a nice gun. A Glock 43 or 42 could work as well. The Glock 17 or 19 would make a great car gun.

Thanks
    Robert

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I am currently carrying a Glock 19 and it is just to big. It was fine when I lived in Maryland and carried a few times a year but now that I live in TN and carry 99% of the time I leave my house I find the Glock 19 is too heavy. I am going to head out looking from something lighter. I am thinking the Nano might be a nice gun. A Glock 43 or 42 could work as well. The Glock 17 or 19 would make a great car gun.

Thanks
    Robert

I guess due to the fact that I spend 8-16 hours a day wearing a duty belt laden with handcuffs, radio, pepper spray, and a big set of keys (or a Glock 17 in addition at times), I don't even notice the weight of just a full size handgun (Springfield XD45 with 13 round mag) when I'm off duty. I guess my carcass is accustomed to toting extra materialistic weight around. Of course I carried that same handgun concealed before I had my current job when I lived in a free state, so maybe I'm just use to it.
    I work out most of the time(at home) with my regular clothes on(jeans and t shirt or my work (uniform after work) including my handgun concealed and the two extra mags I carry with it. Why? Because more than likely I'll either be in regular clothes or uniform with the extra weight on if things go south. Train like you fight, fight like you train I guess...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Wow. If you're having an issue carrying a G19, maybe you need some training, better practice or something? You probably cannot get any better of a capable, easy, carry pistol than a 19.
    Most likely the best pistol in the world for concealed carry.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Wow. If you're having an issue carrying a G19, maybe you need some training, better practice or something? You probably cannot get any better of a capable, easy, carry pistol than a 19.

That's what I wanted to hear from someone like you sir!:thumbsup:
    You just tipped the scale for me in favor of the G19:)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That's what I wanted to hear from someone like you sir!:thumbsup:
    You just tipped the scale for me in favor of the G19:)

Glad I can help a fellow federal employee! Lol
    And I'm not even a Glock fan. But I do know carry and what is easy. Well, easier. Carrying isn't fun nor is it comfortable. It's just different degrees of inconvenience one is willing to put up with. The 19 is smooth, light and capable. :thumbup:

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    And I'm not even a Glock fan. But I do know carry and what is easy. Well, easier. Carrying isn't fun nor is it comfortable. It's just different degrees of inconvenience one is willing to put up with. The 19 is smooth, light and capable. :thumbup:

So its true..."You're with the Gov't and here to help." Lol
    I'll take advice and suggestions anytime from someone like you who has A LOT of experience in the matter. I'm just a pup experience wise compared to you sir:thumbsup:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Hmmmmm, just a little surprised to hear you say that. Did you ever pick up a Vickers? Between you talking to me about it and fidelity buying one I could no longer fight the urge and called BBPawn for the Vickers G19.

My Gen 2 G19 is my most often carried gun. It just feels right.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Boom, /thread.

(Blaster drops mic and walks away)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hmmmmm, just a little surprised to hear you say that. Did you ever pick up a Vickers? Between you talking to me about it and fidelity buying one I could no longer fight the urge and called BBPawn for the Vickers G19.

Nah. Just because I cannot shoot a Glock for the life of me, doesn't mean they aren't good. They're still hideous though. :)
    I shot the VP9 the other day. I like that "clicky" trigger over the Glock "clicky" though. The VP is highly accurate, even with my eyeglass needing eyes. I have the target. I'm going to mark the groups first then post it in my HK thread.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Nah. Just because I cannot shoot a Glock for the life of me, doesn't mean they aren't good. They're still hideous though. :)
    I shot the VP9 the other day. I like that "clicky" trigger over the Glock "clicky" though. The VP is highly accurate, even with my eyeglass needing eyes. I have the target. I'm going to mark the groups first then post it in my HK thread.
    BTW I texted you a pic of that Fobus, it is Glock for sure.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Depends on your love handles, and how much butt you have. Your butt will push on a longer barrel, and this forces the topmost part of the gun into your body.

Love handles do the opposite.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I guess due to the fact that I spend 8-16 hours a day wearing a duty belt laden with handcuffs, radio, pepper spray, and a big set of keys (or a Glock 17 in addition at times), I don't even notice the weight of just a full size handgun (Springfield XD45 with 13 round mag) when I'm off duty. I guess my carcass is accustomed to toting extra materialistic weight around. Of course I carried that same handgun concealed before I had my current job when I lived in a free state, so maybe I'm just use to it.
    I work out most of the time(at home) with my regular clothes on(jeans and t shirt or my work (uniform after work) including my handgun concealed and the two extra mags I carry with it. Why? Because more than likely I'll either be in regular clothes or uniform with the extra weight on if things go south. Train like you fight, fight like you train I guess...

Open Carry is way easier then concealed. Maybe because I am way overweight it makes it worse but I find my Glock 19 cuts into my gut way to much when CC it both IWB and OWB although when I open carry it isn't too bad. Pocket Carry when you are wearing something with big pockets isn't to bad either.

Thanks
    Robert

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO

Most important part right there.
    Anyone ever try a compact cz-75 variant?
    Yes, CZ-75 Compact .40. Don't normally carry it for a few reasons: using a Galco IWB meant for an XD, not the pistol I'm most comfortable firing. Don't often carry the XD for the same reason. After reading Blaster's cross draw suggestion, I'll have to give both another try.

Both of those double stack pistols print easily on me. The 1911 less so. Lengthwise, they are comfortable, weight...a CZ compact with a full mag weighs about as much as a 1911.

TL;DR - If you're used to concealing a double stack, they're a decent choice. Just note the weight and adjust accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom