• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    (Actually I'm surprised there isn't a sticky on this, or a number of threads that I could have found)

In looking for a new home defense handgun I'm obviously faced with a ton of choices in cartridge. I was reluctant to discount any because there had to be good reasons why the various law enforcement and military agencies select certain ones, or why civilians buy a certain type. However it occurred to me that the requirements for military and law enforcement weapons might not be so relevant within the confines of drywall and ranges likely to be within seven yards.

So as far as I can tell, these are the reasons for the popularity of various popular cartridges and my thoughts on them. I'm hoping you guys can straighten me out if I'm off. Also what cartridge do you use for home defense and why?

.25, .380, .38 special etc - The best gun for defense is the one you have, so I appreciate these for their ease of use in concealed carry, but is there any reason to select these sorts of rounds when you could have a full sized gun?

9mm, 5.7 mm -allows for a smaller gun for more comfortable carry without sacrificing high capacity. Also they are supposed have better armor piercing capability, but that's with military rounds as opposed to home defense hollow point variants. Also popular militarily for the lower weight of the rounds compared to a .45. Important when on the march or when you're having to deliver supplies around the world and into the middle of some desert or Jungle backwater, not so much a consideration for home defense.

.40 S&W, .357 Sig -These seem to be getting quite popular, particularly the .40. But the draw for their creation and use by law enforcement seems to come from their external ballistics at range compared to the .45. That is very important if you're going to be in a shootout while taking cover behind your squad car parked down the street from your assailant. But it doesn't seem nearly so relevant to home defense. Maybe if you've got a McMansion. But again I'm not expecting to get a shot beyond seven yards, and never more than 14, which would require me to be twisting around a staircase and them to be in the far corner of a room I could just barely see into from there.

.357 magnum, 10mm- My understanding is that the reason the .357 magnum exists is because law enforcement wanted a handgun that could punch through a car door and still take a guy out. With the slope of my yard I think I'm safe from having a home intruder crash through a wall. So all you may get for the extra recoil and the smaller hole, just turns into burying the round deeper into my wall or my neighbors. I also understand that these rounds have some popularity for being able to take down game or threats at 100 yards. But I wouldn't want to try and explain a 100 yard "defensive" shot to the police.

.45 ACP - nice big deep holes without a lot of flash or much more recoil than 9mm. It seems like the round to choose for home defense, if you've got big enough hands. 45 GAP sounds like it hasn't been so popular for some reason, with only Glock still trying to push it.

.410 bore - With a case that long I'd have though it would have a lot of potential. But everything I've been able to find indicates that you do better with a traditional bullet over the slugs, and the penetration just isn't there with the buckshot or disks, and the spread hurts shot placement. It'll still spoil someone's day, and you are making a number of holes instead of just on, but not what you want to have against a big guy in a heavy coat. I don't know how much difference it makes, but all the penetration tests I know of occurred with some distance to the target, like 25 feet or more. I wonder if things are quite different at 25 inches. Besides not losing speed to the air, you'd think they wouldn't have spread much and the first would weaken tissue and break bones ahead of the rest.

.50 AE - While I could appreciate the raw intimidation of a Desert Eagle, it sounds like this isn't popular due to the flash and recoil one gets compared to the increase in wounding. Also at something like a buck fifty per shot I have concerns about how much I'd practically train. Still though, if my efforts at work and the gym result in a promotion and a grip of iron, might this be a better option than a .45? Or for a given arm strength are you going to still be able to fire more accurately and faster with a .45 and therefore come out ahead?

Big revolver rounds- same problems as the .50AE except in a less convenient form.

Of course those are the things you could put in a handgun. I've been giving thought to the idea that none of the handgun rounds really match up with a full power rifle or shotgun. But handguns are just easier to keep closer at hand, and I think that might be even more important.

Though I'm considering going with a handgun for getting rushed, and a shotgun for "honey, did you hear something?" situations.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I think this is a personal preference, as all have their critics and champions. Myself, I would recommend a 9mm semiauto pistol first. Has a wide variety of a common caliber, cheaper, and the pistols have a larger magazine capacity. Recoil isn't too bad depending on the gun so even the wife could easily use it. Easier to load. Just pop a magazine in and keep a couple ready in case you need more. Since 9mm is cheaper it allows you more range and target time. A larger caliber is useless if you can't hit anything with it. Get used to the gun, then you can move up and get a second, larger gun. Revolvers are pretty simple, reliable, and easy to use. They just usually don't have the capacity autos do, but you can keep some speedloaders on hand. For home defense, I prefer the power of a 12G shotgun, but understand the need for a more compact tool. I would suggest getting together with member here to shoot different guns or rent some at a range and see what fits you best.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Nothing inconvenient about big revolvers for home defense. You want something that goes bang every time you pull the trigger regardless of your caliber choice.

If you don't already have shotgun, get that first.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My preferred HD caliber is .223, preferably using a 62gr soft point. Backup is, in order, 10mm 1911, .40 double-stack 1911, and 9mm CZ-75. I am now carrying a PF9 using 124gr +P ammo, as it feeds reliably and should be adequate for summer use. Winter time I carry the 10mm. I would personally prefer to carry a carbine, but it's a bit unwieldy when I'm at Walmart or Target.

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    I think this is a personal preference, as all have their critics and champions.

Well, I knew that. But I was hoping that they had critics and champs for specific reasons, and so if one clarified the intended use and user than maybe clear winners would pop out.

For example if you can't comfortably hold a .45 double stack, .45 ammo was to pricey for you, than a .45 wouldn't be for you.

Wha??

Not considering the .32ACP???

:) Actually that was included with the "etc" for the list of little rounds.

Backup is, in order, 10mm 1911, .40 double-stack 1911, and 9mm CZ-75.

Care to explain those choices? Or did you wind up with them by chance via family, friends, gun show sales, or something?

Shooter410

southpaw
    Apr 16, 2011
    ForWonOh
    home defense for me

Rem. 870 w/ one rock salt and 3 triple ought shells behind it...then I would use my 9mm after.

Nothing says "get the fvck out of my house" more than a 12 gauge opening and closing in the dark :)

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    ...then I would use my 9mm after.

Ok, but why did you pick 9mm. For example is it becuase you think it's the best cartridge for home defense, or because you like how it carries and it's just what you've got. Or something like that.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Your OP shows you have put some thought into this, but asking what caliber to use is like asking what size shoe to buy. The best caliber is the one you can handle, control and afford to practice with often.

My personal options are 357sig, 45ACP and 5.56.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Here's my take on it:

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Oh and here's your sticky:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

You'll be ringing in the new year before you're finished reading everything in that link along with all the embedded links.

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    Your OP shows you have put some thought into this, but asking what caliber to use is like asking what size shoe to buy. The best caliber is the one you can handle, control and afford to practice with often.

So generally "bigger is better, until you can't handle it well". THough even then there are difference between fat and slow vs light and zippy.

Here's my take on it:

?

Does that mean your take is that JHP variations kind of equalize the various rounds?

I'll get to the link when I've got a chunk of time.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I don't think generations of police would appreciate the .38 Special being grouped in with the .25.

I am perfectly comfortable with my choice of .38 Special as both a home defense and a personal defense round.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Care to explain those choices? Or did you wind up with them by chance via family, friends, gun show sales, or something?

Notice the reduction in power as you see my picks. I'm keeping with the school of thought of use the most powerful cartridge you can handle.

Here's my take on it:

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Oh and here's your sticky:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

You'll be ringing in the new year before you're finished reading everything in that link along with all the embedded links.

It's missing a caliber or two or three.

I don't think generations of police would appreciate the .38 Special being grouped in with the .25.

I am perfectly comfortable with my choice of .38 Special as both a home defense and a personal defense round.

The 154gr RNL load that was commonly used by police forces throughout the US was nicknamed "The Widowmaker" for a reason.

Sirex