• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Its about training boss. Carry how you want just train that way hammer back with safe or not up to you just get used to the safety movement.

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    Its about training boss. Carry how you want just train that way hammer back with safe or not up to you just get used to the safety movement.

Since I have carried 1911s, the cocked and locked is fine with me, but it seems the only Hi-Powers I have seen carried, were hammer down or half cocked. I was just wondering if I was missing something since I have not had experience with the Hi-Power yet.

I am not a fan of lowering the hammer to 1/2 cock.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Concealed carry

I carried a Inglis for about two-three weeks on one deployment. In low threat situations I carried hammer down with unchambered round. In high threat situations I carried it round chambered with hammer locked (safety on).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you didn't care for Condition One , why did you select a HiPower to carry ?
    Cocked and locked is Safer than half cock , or hammer down on loaded round. Condition Three is reasonably safe fron ND , but is lacking as far as being able to use when needed on purpose. When I had HiPower , the only wat it was carried was Condition One.

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    Im a 1911 shooter... I carry my 1911s Cocked and Locked.

I heard somewhere that the BHP thumb safety doesnt have the same positive on/off click that the 1911 safeties posses. Is this true?

The only way to carry a SA pistol is cocked and locked. Unless of course the chamber is empty, in which case you'd have the hammer down and no safety (pointless).

If you dont feel comfortable with C&L carry, pick up a striker fired pistol... you'll get the same trigger pull on every shot, and you wont have to worry about it I suppose.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Im a 1911 shooter... I carry my 1911s Cocked and Locked.

I heard somewhere that the BHP thumb safety doesnt have the same positive on/off click that the 1911 safeties posses. Is this true?

The only way to carry a SA pistol is cocked and locked. Unless of course the chamber is empty, in which case you'd have the hammer down and no safety (pointless).

If you dont feel comfortable with C&L carry, pick up a striker fired pistol... you'll get the same trigger pull on every shot, and you wont have to worry about it I suppose.

The roller block safety has been around for some time and is about as safe as it gets with a chambered round.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    If you are using the stock safety I suggest 1/2 cock with a round in the chamber. That is the way I used to carry it CCW. If you have an extended safety installed properly then I would consider running a Hi-Power in C & L.
    On a 1911/2011 I use a holster that has a strap that only snaps in place when in C & L mode, as the strap is intentionally too short to snap on if the hammer is down.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With due appologies to certain Old School Texas Rangers up until maybe 50yrs ago, half cock over a loaded round is probably the least safe way to carry. Not excliding condition zero.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Cocked & Locked. If this is a problem, I'd consider a holster with a safety strap under the hammer.

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    About 20 years ago, Browning added a firing pin safety to the Hi-Power. It makes the pistol much safer in cocked and locked then the older pistols. If yours has the safety, I
    would feel fine in condition one..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom