• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    I have a question for those of you who have carry permits and have gone through the renewal process.

Did the wording of your restrictions change or did they remain the same?

Of course, I am assuming that nothing on your end changed prior to the renewal.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    It appears that the administration has recently moved the goal posts.
    G&S justifications that were successful a few months ago are no longer guaranteed.
    There are also reports from physicians, up for renewal, who are now being summarily denied.

Its almost as if someone in Licensing is trying to subvert from within. Either that, or they are even more hapless and dysfunctional than anyone could believe.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    I have no doubt that the goalposts have moved. My concern is with those who have actually received renewals, whether or not the wording on their permit changed.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I was caught in the downtime between SB281 being enacted and classes being available to get my renewal app in. I sent in a completed app with the whole online checklist/requirement done (minus the new 8 hr requirement not listed in the online form). I turned it in 60 days before my renewal expiration 2/22. After getting it back citing I needed the class, I was unable to get into a class until 2/22 at the earliest because no one offered it, due to lack of guidelines from MSP. I turned my app in (in person) on 2/25 and I was told they had a problem getting the class listed on the online checklist/requirement in the front of the application.
    I was told it would be 90 days until got anything back. Obstructionism at its best here.....
    My old restriction was;
    "between residence of Grace Electrical Services/bank or while transporting business currency as Owner of same(MD only)not valid where firearms are prohibited."
    I will try to remember to update whenever I get it back.........

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Wording changed now 90 BUSINESS Days not 90 days, which makes your renewal 4 months in advance of expiration date. Nice, Chris

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Got mine back today.....
    My old restriction was;
    "Between residence of Grace Electrical Services/bank or while transporting business currency as Owner of same(MD only)not valid where firearms are prohibited."
    My new restriction is;
    "Valid only between residence Grace Electrical Services or while actively involved in financial business transactions as Owner of same. (MD only) Not valid where firearms are prohibited"

Not sure what to make of it. I think they might have missed something....... I guess they're a little busy ;-)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Another odd change is on the front.
    "If expired, contact MSP prior to arrest"

Mine says this also (expires 11/30/2015).

My wording is also very similar to your new restrictions, I had mine quite a bit prior to 10/1, I don't think these are "new" changes.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    Got mine back today.....
    My new restriction is;
    "Valid only between residence Grace Electrical Services or while actively involved in financial business transactions as Owner of same. (MD only) Not valid where firearms are prohibited"

Not sure what to make of it. I think they might have missed something....... I guess they're a little busy ;-)

That just means it's only valid when you stand at a tellers window

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    Got mine back today.....
    My old restriction was;
    "Between residence of Grace Electrical Services/bank or while transporting business currency as Owner of same(MD only)not valid where firearms are prohibited."
    My new restriction is;

Really interesting change from "transporting business currency" possibly only meaning cash to "actively involved in financial business transactions" which could possibly imply anything of financial value to the business. As usual in MD not clearly explained so does this leave interpretation up to LEO? Does anyone know of any clarification regarding this restriction language?

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Got mine back today..... My old restriction was; "Between residence of Grace Electrical Services/bank or while transporting business currency as Owner of same(MD only)not valid where firearms are prohibited." My new restriction is; "Valid only between residence Grace Electrical Services or while actively involved in financial business transactions as Owner of same. (MD only) Not valid where firearms are prohibited" Not sure what to make of it. I think they might have missed something....... I guess they're a little busy ;-)

I was afraid of that. "while transporting business currency as Owner of same" was objective.

"actively involved in financial business transactions as Owner of same. " is highly subjective. Who gets to decide if your "actively involved"

I'll give you three guesses.... MSP, that's who decides.

So in a nutshell they made your permit more restrictive.

Thanks for the update!!!

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Really interesting change from "transporting business currency" possibly only meaning cash to "actively involved in financial business transactions" which could possibly imply anything of financial value to the business.

Business currency as defined by the Maryland State police is cash or checks. So as long as you are "transporting business currency" you have a lot of leeway.

The new restriction makes things very nebulous. A financial transaction can mean whatever they say it means. And actively involved, well that's the most nebulous part of it all.

When does one become "actively involved"!!!!

aaronn

Aug 8, 2013
    Baltimore
    I was afraid of that. "while transporting business currency as Owner of same" was objective.

"actively involved in financial business transactions as Owner of same. " is highly subjective. Who gets to decide if your "actively involved"

I'll give you three guesses.... MSP, that's who decides.

So in a nutshell they made your permit more restrictive.

Thanks for the update!!!

I disagree. I have similar language and I think it's way less restrictive. If I'm buying something for my company it's a financial business transaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom