• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pc1256

Jan 21, 2014
    Montgomery County
    So I been trying for hours but it won't budge at all.

I seemed to be staked.
    I used the proper wrench, but that broke.
    So, I got paranoid and used a big plumber's wrench... still doesn't work.
    I'm not worried about the castle nut or the plate.

What are the options I have?

*The glossy plastic is a cloth wrapped with tape, so I won't damage the buffer tube.

Attachments

• 10246558_821736907856209_7101854823941030400_n.jpg
      10246558_821736907856209_7101854823941030400_n.jpg
      59.6 KB · Views: 549

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If you don't care about the nut I would CAREFULLY cut partway through it with a dremel tool ( not deep enough to get into the threads) Then you may be able to take a chisel or screwdriver blade and put it in the cut, twist it and break it the rest of the way. The key is BE CAREFUL!

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    What broke on your wrench?

How did you secure the lower receiver while you tried to turn the castle nut?

Did you slide off the stock to keep it out of the way?

pc1256

Jan 21, 2014
    Montgomery County
    What broke on your wrench?

How did you secure the lower receiver while you tried to turn the castle nut?

Did you slide off the stock to keep it out of the way?

The little stub that holds the nut, the tool is not in the picture. It was secured it an anvil... and the stock is fixed/pinned, that's why I'm removing the whole buffer tube

pc1256

Jan 21, 2014
    Montgomery County
    If you don't care about the nut I would CAREFULLY cut partway through it with a dremel tool ( not deep enough to get into the threads) Then you may be able to take a chisel or screwdriver blade and put it in the cut, twist it and break it the rest of the way. The key is BE CAREFUL!

That's like my last resort. That's going to be a pain

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    You should be able to tell if it is staked. If so, try to pop that back. A little heat on the nut without heating (expanding) the tube may help. Maybe it has lock tite on it.

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    It sounds like you have (had :cool: ) a wrench like this:

http://www.ar15outfitters.com/AR-15-Castle-Nut-Wrench-Combo-Tool_p_318.html

Since its a pinned stock, you should get one that contacts three notches on the castle nut like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154145/tapco-multi-tool-ar-15-mil-spec-steel

...which you can probably find around. They work much better when you need to crank through staking. If you plan on replacing more than this one receiver extension, you may want to pick up one that is heavier duty and comes with a socket hole for a breaker bar.

Heating it up like Overboost44 suggests will help with any locktite that might be lurking in the threads.

If you aren't going to re-use that stock or receiver extension, do what rseymorejr says and hit it with the dremel.

And: Sorry about the pinned stock :)

pc1256

Jan 21, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Thanks everyone, but I finally managed to get everything off only damaging the castle nut, which is a bonus I get

I used an anvil to keep it in place... used a big ole ranch... A little blow torch to heat it up. Used up all my strength and finally it budged off.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Did you see anything on the threads?

It sounds like locktite red may have been put on it. But I don't know why anyone would do that.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Did you see anything on the threads?

It sounds like locktite red may have been put on it. But I don't know why anyone would do that.

You should never loctite a castle nut that is why you stake it. Is it possible the castlenut was cross threaded on?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Thanks everyone, but I finally managed to get everything off only damaging the castle nut, which is a bonus I get

I used an anvil to keep it in place... used a big ole ranch... A little blow torch to heat it up. Used up all my strength and finally it budged off.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Big Ranch? How many acres are we talking? Glad you got it off and didn't bugger up your lower.

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Glad you got it off.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep those castle nut wrenches stable? With the open design they always tend to slip off the nut when I am using them, especially if I also have a torque wrench attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom