• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

...and it feels v very weird.

Having been living in Texas for almost two years now, and being licensed to carry, it's very weird and a little disconcerting on how fast you get to acclimate to always having s gun on you.

But...as of the 11th of the month we have been visiting our son and friends back here in the Peoples Republick Of Maryland, so the gun was unloaded at the border and stowed in the car truck and then in John's house. Resorted back to the old blackthorn stick, pepper spray, and sometimes a medium crescent wrench in the back pocket under a shirt tail. Like when in Baltimore going to Little Italy and dinner at Sabatino's. Their lasagna is worth killing for!!!!

So, I've been musing on how fast you get used to something. Like getting up in the morning and putting on pants, keys, wallet, gun, cell phone... just like it's nothing. I really had not given it much thought until getting here to Maryland and not having it one getting dressed in the morning. A definite strong sense of something missing. Like when you lose a tooth, the tongue keeps exploring that empty space until the implant gets in there.

Living most of my adult life in Maryland, raising a family and all that stuff, I never really thought about it much. Okay, I didn't live in a place that allowed gun carry, so I just carried a stout stick and pepper spray and kept a few other items handy like Sear's Craftsman adjustable wrench, ball peen hammer on floor of old truck, and such. I guess I was just used to it. People get used to conditions. But when conditions change it can be startling.

Don't really know where I was going with this, but just a commentary on it, and maybe a realization of and a reminder of what it was like living in a place where firearm carry is a big no-no. Makes me realize all over again how I appreciate living in a state that lets me have ALL of my constitutional rights, including the 2d amendment.

Can't wait the next few days until I hit the road out of here and back home to Texas. I'll miss the few family I have left here and the two old friends still here, but we all have phones to keep in touch.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

Having been living in Texas for almost two years now, and being licensed to carry, it's very weird and a little disconcerting on how fast you get to acclimate to always having s gun on you.

But...as of the 11th of the month we have been visiting our son and friends back here in the Peoples Republick Of Maryland, so the gun was unloaded at the border and stowed in the car truck and then in John's house. Resorted back to the old blackthorn stick, pepper spray, and sometimes a medium crescent wrench in the back pocket under a shirt tail. Like when in Baltimore going to Little Italy and dinner at Sabatino's. Their lasagna is worth killing for!!!!

So, I've been musing on how fast you get used to something. Like getting up in the morning and putting on pants, keys, wallet, gun, cell phone... just like it's nothing. I really had not given it much thought until getting here to Maryland and not having it one getting dressed in the morning. A definite strong sense of something missing. Like when you lose a tooth, the tongue keeps exploring that empty space until the implant gets in there.

Living most of my adult life in Maryland, raising a family and all that stuff, I never really thought about it much. Okay, I didn't live in a place that allowed gun carry, so I just carried a stout stick and pepper spray and kept a few other items handy like Sear's Craftsman adjustable wrench, ball peen hammer on floor of old truck, and such. I guess I was just used to it. People get used to conditions. But when conditions change it can be startling.

Don't really know where I was going with this, but just a commentary on it, and maybe a realization of and a reminder of what it was like living in a place where firearm carry is a big no-no. Makes me realize all over again how I appreciate living in a state that lets me have ALL of my constitutional rights, including the 2d amendment.

Can't wait the next few days until I hit the road out of here and back home to Texas. I'll miss the few family I have left here and the two old friends still here, but we all have phones to keep in touch.
    I hate visiting MD.

Exactly the same reasons.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've been carrying for 17+ years now, nearly every time I leave the house. On those rare occasions when I have to go unarmed I spend the whole day feeling somewhat off.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Oh, how I wish I had your problem.

Just remember, after your visit, you will be whole again.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter

Having been living in Texas for almost two years now, and being licensed to carry, it's very weird and a little disconcerting on how fast you get to acclimate to always having s gun on you...

I hate visiting MD.

Exactly the same reasons.

Yes, but as a native Merrylander, I feel much safer with you out-of-towners being disarmed.

:D

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the good news is the odds of needing it are almost zero. but still, better to have and not need than need and not have.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I've been carrying for 17+ years now, nearly every time I leave the house. On those rare occasions when I have to go unarmed I spend the whole day feeling somewhat off.

31 years here...

Left it home to take the GF and her two kids to Disney... 11 years ago... That was one week out of all those years, when I was not suitably armed.

It sucked... :tdown:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    31 years here...

Left it home to take the GF and her two kids to Disney... 11 years ago... That was one week out of all those years, when I was not suitably armed.

It sucked... :tdown:
    I was armed at Disney when I last went 5 years ago. They barely checked bags and a properly concealed firearm was no issue to get in. Against policy but not against the law. I choose my safety over policy in a business open to the public. I hear they now do metal detector screenings. I will not be going again. The place is a terrorist wet dream.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Our Patriot Picket crew carried Taser Pulse devices right on the National Mall, Saturday before last.

Why not a Taser in MD? Never be a pocket gun, but it's something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom