• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockamole

Dec 24, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Hi All,

Just purchased an aftermarket Blackhawk NRS Stock for my Mossy 500 Persuader. Orginally, it came with the standard shoulder stock. Figured I'll make the 12 Gauge look nicer.

The Blackhawk grip and handling felt great. But when I try to aim, I could not focus right at the beed sight. It wasn't like this when the standard stock was on it. The stock must be too high on par with the receiver height.

Has anyone had experience with this. How did you fix the sight issue?

Thanks,

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Silly rabbit, everyone knows that you don't have to aim a shotgun.:rolleyes:

Since you're going the aftermarket route, try some ghost ring sights.

(...or do the obvious and put the original stock back on.)

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Did you put a cheek piece / riser on it ? I know some of the blackhawks come with them , if so take it off . Other then that Id go with Guthook's suggestion.Ive found the pistol grip stocks to be uncomfortable and dont function as well as they look . But its your do with it as you please ,as long as your happy .

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    It felt good on the hand, but a pain on the neck. Apparently, this model does not come with the riser. So no way to drop or raise the stock height.

Yeah I just clicked on the pic and saw its the one that come straight out from the receiver .If your not going with ghost rings or some sort of optic you need one that drops / angles down out of the receiver.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Hi All,

Just purchased an aftermarket Blackhawk NRS Stock for my Mossy 500 Persuader. Orginally, it came with the standard shoulder stock. Figured I'll make the 12 Gauge look nicer.

The Blackhawk grip and handling felt great. But when I try to aim, I could not focus right at the beed sight. It wasn't like this when the standard stock was on it. The stock must be too high on par with the receiver height.

Thanks,

I use that stock on my 870 and I put a red dot on it.

Glockamole

Dec 24, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Sounds like I might need a red dot sight. The mossy does not come with a weaver style rail on the top of the receiver so I'll need that too.

What red dot sight would you recommend that's economical?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Glockamole

Dec 24, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Could not afford the expensive Aimpoint nor Eotech Red Dot, but did manage to get the Truglo Red Dot. A Weaver style rail is attached to the top of the Mossberg receiver for the Red Dot attachment. Used LockTite so the screws don't come loose. The aiming is so much better now. Thanks to everyone for the tips.

img_3980.jpg

Also, what would be the easiest way to sight in the red dot, without having to waste a whole bunch of 12 Ga shotshells? I was also reading about the laser bore sights.

Last edited:

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    You can get a picatinny rail for about $10 to mount most any optic. Like I said before you can use the angle shims to get the correct angle or elevate the bead to use over the picatinny rail.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Hi All,

Thanks,

I've got that stock on my Maverick 88 (same gun). I need a tighter cheek weld on it versus my wood stocked 500 to see the bead. Maybe you need a larger bead if it isn't working for you?

Glockamole

Dec 24, 2010
    Baltimore County
    My previous post didn't show the pic correctly. Below is the Truglo Red Dot using the rail attached to the receiver.

img_3980.jpg

Couldn't find any shim at the local store, so decided to go with the red dot instead. It turned out pretty good. Aiming is a lot easier on the neck and eye. I can also now use left/right hand and left/right eye to aim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom