• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squaredout

The Widows Son
    Mar 25, 2010
    Hello, Can you recommend a good 2a lawyer? Here is my story. I was a police officer for several years I left the department in 1996. I just bought a house and soon realized that a guy I arrested lives in my neighborhood ran into him at a food spot. I never considered applying for the permit until then. I applied and was advised that I had no reason for one. It was too long since I was an officer; I had no threats on my life and no large deposits. I tried to explain my issue to the Trooper and he asked if the guy threaded me I said no because He still though I was on the force. Can you recommend a Lawyer to review this issue? I know I am past the 10 days to appeal but I would apply again if needed. Thanks for your help

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Hello, Can you recommend a good 2a lawyer? Here is my story. I was a police officer for several years I left the department in 1996. I just bought a house and soon realized that a guy I arrested lives in my neighborhood ran into him at a food spot. I never considered applying for the permit until then. I applied and was advised that I had no reason for one. It was too long since I was an officer; I had no threats on my life and no large deposits. I tried to explain my issue to the Trooper and he asked if the guy threaded me I said no because He still though I was on the force. Can you recommend a Lawyer to review this issue? I know I am past the 10 days to appeal but I would apply again if needed. Thanks for your help

MSI would be a good place to start.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Herm...yeah, MSI would be a good place to start. Pop into this thread too... http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=35855 and read the whole thing. There was a post about NRA looking for "test cases" post McDonald.

Though, I thought, as a retired police officer (or perhaps you are not retired, you just resigned your employment?) were entitled to carry under the Federal Law that was enacted under Bush.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I sent him back here. There's lots of attorneys who bill themselves as "gun lawyers" but most approach it from the end of the spectrum that deals with "gun crimes" rather than administrative things like this.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Richard Gardiner, in Fairfax, VA. 703-352-7276

He's one of the nation's leading 2A attorneys - just keep in mind that to even get the guy on the phone is going to cost you, and he may not even be able to help you.

I ended up going to him for advice regarding the transfer paperwork of a Class III firearm owned by my father who passed in 1997. My mom, for reasons I still can't comprehend, never completed the transfer of the weapon to herself when he passed away, so needless to say, 11 years after the fact, she was breaking the law and the BATF could have confiscated the gun and she could have done jail time.

Fortunately they weren't hard-asses about it - apparently the BATF isn't into jailing widows or taking away inherited firearms, so they approved the transfer, making my mother the legal owner. That's pretty much what Richard Gardiner said they would do, although he offered no guarantees.

Not sure if he's the guy you want to use, but it's my understanding that he's pretty much at the top of the food chain where 2A attorneys are concerned.

As a side note, he was recommended to me through my brother-in-law who knows a guy who is a friend of Sandra Froman, former President of the NRA, and it was from her that I got his name and number.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Herm...yeah, MSI would be a good place to start. Pop into this thread too... http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=35855 and read the whole thing. There was a post about NRA looking for "test cases" post McDonald.

Though, I thought, as a retired police officer (or perhaps you are not retired, you just resigned your employment?) were entitled to carry under the Federal Law that was enacted under Bush.

That's the rub..you have to be retired...not just former. If he worked for say 5 years and then quit, he's not eligible under HR218.

MD doesn't treat it's own rank and file officers well in that respect. I know a full-time county officer who's wife was denied a permit even though he produced documented threats against himself and his entire family by a guy he arrested. I have no doubt that if it was one of the Executive Corp white shirts, it wouldn't even have been an issue and the permit would be granted no questions asked.

Squaredout

The Widows Son
    Mar 25, 2010
    Originally Posted by fightinbluhen51

I resigned in good standings and can be rehired. No bad issues here....

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    That's the rub..you have to be retired...not just former. If he worked for say 5 years and then quit, he's not eligible under HR218.

MD doesn't treat it's own rank and file officers well in that respect. I know a full-time county officer who's wife was denied a permit even though he produced documented threats against himself and his entire family by a guy he arrested. I have no doubt that if it was one of the Executive Corp white shirts, it wouldn't even have been an issue and the permit would be granted no questions asked.
    Talk about a distinct violation of civil rights. Oh I can't wait until we can sue these pricks and make them at least pay the price of the political beliefs.

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    The federal law in question, 18 USC 926C, confers a national right to carry on a "qualified retired law enforcement officer," a term that is defined in detail in the law. Among the requirements is a minimum of 15 years service prior to honorable retirement. There is a bill pending in Congress (S. 1132) which would lower this minimum requirement to 10 years, among other changes; this bill has been approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee, but not acted on by the full Senate, or by the House.

ThatIsAFact

tcb100

Apr 18, 2010
    You want to talk to Walter Booth (301) 913-0070, in Bethesda Maryland. Gun rights are his thing.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You want to talk to Walter Booth (301) 913-0070, in Bethesda Maryland. Gun rights are his thing.

Damn....that's the name I was thinking of and couldn't dredge up.

Yes...he has a very good reputation.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    If the time to appeal has passed you are out of luck. Any administrative law-type litigation requires that you exhaust all administrative remedies before you seek the assistance of the courts. Only option I see is for you to reapply and have everything lined up ahead of time (lawyer etc.) for the appeal process.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    You gotta wonder what kind of reaction Gura gets when the opposition finds out he's on the case. I bet there's a real, "OH SHIT!" moment when they realize this one isn't gonna just go away. This one is gonna ride their ass the entire way, and it's gonna be a long bumpy trip to a place they didn't want to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom