Can you lighten the trigger pull on a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firestorm89

Dec 30, 2012
    I was curious if you can lighten the trigger on a Glock 17.. Without impacting the trigger safety? If so, would the be a job for a gunsmith, or is it doable by an average gun buff?

Thanks

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yes. You can polish the trigger components to make it smooth, then you can change the connector to effect the weight of the trigger. The connector is the ramp that forces the trigger bar/sear downwards. The sharper the angle, the heavier the pull, but crisper the break. Change the link to a shallower angle, and it'll be lighter(although less crisp). Check out the haley strategic skimmer glock trigger for a FANTASTIC upgrade.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Yes. It can be done
    But not recommended for carry or defensive guns

As it requires changing out the springs,connector and a lot of careful polishing

I have glocks that have triggers that rival a 1911.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Yes. You can polish the trigger components to make it smooth, then you can change the connector to effect the weight of the trigger. The connector is the ramp that forces the trigger bar/sear downwards. The sharper the angle, the heavier the pull, but crisper the break. Change the link to a shallower angle, and it'll be lighter(although less crisp). Check out the haley strategic skimmer glock trigger for a FANTASTIC upgrade.

^^^ This, plus, you can put in a "NY" spring or "NY1" spring, along with changing/polishing the connector, to change trigger feel.

Please note: IF your Glock is new, shoot it for a while before changing any of the internals.
    The mating of the parts will get the trigger to feel a little lighter.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    ^^^ This, plus, you can put in a "NY" spring or "NY1" spring, along with changing/polishing the connector, to change trigger feel.

Please note: IF your Glock is new, shoot it for a while before changing any of the internals.
    The mating of the parts will get the trigger to feel a little lighter.

I like to use a 3.5# connector and a NY1 spring. It breaks a little differently. Also had a Zevtech trigger in one of my Glocks. That is a thing of beauty.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I used a zev tech trigger parts on a target glock pistol. 17L. The trigger is about 2.5 lbs with a nice positive reset with no creep.

The titanium striker has been reliable.but I still will not trust it for defensive purposes. The trigger resulted in improved accuracy and the pistol is suitable for bullseye type shooting and long range Pistol shooting.

The zev tech fulcrum adjustable trigger is also a nice drop in option.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The trigger mechanism is very simple, the bar(25) is pushed rearward by trigger movement, the tab on top slides over the striker block safety(8), overcomes the striker spring(6) tension as it brings it to full cock position, aided by the trigger spring(34). This is the takeup stage, a light, but long pull, when the tab on the back of the trigger bar reaches the angled face of the connector(23) it is pushed down, and the tab that is in contact with the bottom of the striker(4) slides off, allowing the striker to fall. The pistol fires, the slide moves rearward and a channel in the slide that the tab on top of the connector(23) rides is has a bump that pushes it over, allows the trigger bar to slip past, rise up, and catch the striker as the slide comes back into battery with a fresh round. At ths point the trigger bar is next to the connector, not in front of it as it would be in order to engage the ramp and fire again, so the trigger has to come forward a short distance, the connector snaps back behind the trigger bar, and you can fire again with the short reset, making followup shots fast. To render the pistol "safe", you siply release the trigger, the striker lowers to 1/2 cock, the pin safety blocks the striker, and the trigger paddle locks the trigger.

You can modify the trigger, or more accurately different parts of the cycle. You can easily reduce overtravel and shorten the reset with a trigger stop, leaving all else unaffected. You can reduce the first stage takeup weight with a heavier trigger spring to assist pulling aggainst the striker, you can also lower the weight of both stages with a lighter striker spring, with a potential loss of reliability. The connectors are one of the easier, and more popular options for changing the second stage weight, and length. The angle of the ramp affects this, like pulling a sled up a hill, the shallower the angle, the lighter the pull, but the more creep and longer second stage pull needed, a steep angle increases the weight, but makes the pull shorter and crisper. You also have to overcome the striker safety button, it comes rough and steep, but can be rounded and polished with no affect on reliability, and alone makes the trigger lighter and smoother, the spring in it can also be lightened with a potentially dangerous loss of theis safety function as a result. There are contact areas on the bar and striker where metal moves aggainst metal, polishing these areas reduces friction loss, keeps dirt from sticking, and both smooths and lightens the trigger with an actual increase in reliability. The more extreme modifications involve changing angles, or materials, some nodules even have adjustments, they can give a great trigger, but can have problems with reliability or safety if not set properly. In many cases you have the option of modifying existing parts, installing factory options, or using aftermarket parts, all need to be competently worked, and tested thoroughly for safety and function.

You must also keep in mind what your purpouse is with the pistol. If you are skilled, and using it for competition with one brand/model of ammo, radiused and lighter safety button, aftermarket or reworked factory trigger, heavier connector, heavier trigger spring, lighter striker spring, overtravel stop, this will give an extremely light takeup, short crisp break around 5#, and short positive reset. If you are going to use it for defense, then some polishing, perhaps a radiused safety button, maybe a heavier trigger spring or trigger stop, perhaps a couple tweaks and improvements with extractor angle and ramp finish to improve reliability and nothing more unless you are confident in the reliability of the mods, this gives a little lighter takeup, more abrupt second stage, shorter reset, and smoother pull. For a range pistol that won't be used for defense, but will see a variety of ammo, then you can go pretty much the same direction as the competition trigger, but without a lighter striker spring, or lighter safety button spring, these mods just aren't worth the trouble outside of a few circumstances, and even then they must be carefully tuned and checked to make sure they are safe and function well.
    There is a host of options for GLOCK triggers, and in many cases it comes down to personal prefference, some aftermarket options change it to a short "single action" feel, that some like, the NY1 and 3.5# connector gives a nice light "DA revolver" feel, long smooth pull with a barely noticeable break stage. I personally like the 2 stage feel the pistol was designed around, although I do like it to be a bit more pronounced with a lighter takeup. This helps keep your finger on the trigger with some weight to pre-stage your finger, and the short positive reset makes it a fast shooter.

Glock_parts_diagram2.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The trigger mechanism is very simple, the bar(25) is pushed rearward by trigger movement, the tab on top slides over the striker block safety(8), overcomes the striker spring(6) tension as it brings it to full cock position, aided by the trigger spring(34). This is the takeup stage, a light, but long pull, when the tab on the back of the trigger bar reaches the angled face of the connector(23) it is pushed down, and the tab that is in contact with the bottom of the striker(4) slides off, allowing the striker to fall. The pistol fires, the slide moves rearward and a channel in the slide that the tab on top of the connector(23) rides is has a bump that pushes it over, allows the trigger bar to slip past, rise up, and catch the striker as the slide comes back into battery with a fresh round. At ths point the trigger bar is next to the connector, not in front of it as it would be in order to engage the ramp and fire again, so the trigger has to come forward a short distance, the connector snaps back behind the trigger bar, and you can fire again with the short reset, making followup shots fast. To render the pistol "safe", you siply release the trigger, the striker lowers to 1/2 cock, the pin safety blocks the striker, and the trigger paddle locks the trigger.

You can modify the trigger, or more accurately different parts of the cycle. You can easily reduce overtravel and shorten the reset with a trigger stop, leaving all else unaffected. You can reduce the first stage takeup weight with a heavier trigger spring to assist pulling aggainst the striker, you can also lower the weight of both stages with a lighter striker spring, with a potential loss of reliability. The connectors are one of the easier, and more popular options for changing the second stage weight, and length. The angle of the ramp affects this, like pulling a sled up a hill, the shallower the angle, the lighter the pull, but the more creep and longer second stage pull needed, a steep angle increases the weight, but makes the pull shorter and crisper. You also have to overcome the striker safety button, it comes rough and steep, but can be rounded and polished with no affect on reliability, and alone makes the trigger lighter and smoother, the spring in it can also be lightened with a potentially dangerous loss of theis safety function as a result. There are contact areas on the bar and striker where metal moves aggainst metal, polishing these areas reduces friction loss, keeps dirt from sticking, and both smooths and lightens the trigger with an actual increase in reliability. The more extreme modifications involve changing angles, or materials, some nodules even have adjustments, they can give a great trigger, but can have problems with reliability or safety if not set properly. In many cases you have the option of modifying existing parts, installing factory options, or using aftermarket parts, all need to be competently worked, and tested thoroughly for safety and function.

You must also keep in mind what your purpouse is with the pistol. If you are skilled, and using it for competition with one brand/model of ammo, radiused and lighter safety button, aftermarket or reworked factory trigger, heavier connector, heavier trigger spring, lighter striker spring, overtravel stop, this will give an extremely light takeup, short crisp break around 5#, and short positive reset. If you are going to use it for defense, then some polishing, perhaps a radiused safety button, maybe a heavier trigger spring or trigger stop, perhaps a couple tweaks and improvements with extractor angle and ramp finish to improve reliability and nothing more unless you are confident in the reliability of the mods, this gives a little lighter takeup, more abrupt second stage, shorter reset, and smoother pull. For a range pistol that won't be used for defense, but will see a variety of ammo, then you can go pretty much the same direction as the competition trigger, but without a lighter striker spring, or lighter safety button spring, these mods just aren't worth the trouble outside of a few circumstances, and even then they must be carefully tuned and checked to make sure they are safe and function well.
    There is a host of options for GLOCK triggers, and in many cases it comes down to personal prefference, some aftermarket options change it to a short "single action" feel, that some like, the NY1 and 3.5# connector gives a nice light "DA revolver" feel, long smooth pull with a barely noticeable break stage. I personally like the 2 stage feel the pistol was designed around, although I do like it to be a bit more pronounced with a lighter takeup. This helps keep your finger on the trigger with some weight to pre-stage your finger, and the short positive reset makes it a fast shooter.

Glock_parts_diagram2.jpg

nerd

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i had a couple of my glocks' triggers professionally done, but the last couple i did myself by a) getting and installing a 3.5# connector and b) getting and installing the glockworx 3 spring kit. did it myself and it is a noticeable difference, with zeo effect on reliability. i haven't polished anything yet but am sure that would be an improvement.

even with the mods, they aren't 'hair' triggers by any stretch of the imagination, and i have zero qualms carrying these guns or using at home for home or self defense.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    I have a Ghost Ranger 4.5lb disconnector in my G19. It is my carry gun and i didnt want to have a trigger that was too light. the 4.5 works great, I also did some polishing. My trigger is smooth and breaks nicely now

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom