Can reloaders sell their ammo to private individuals?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    Just curious if anyone who reloads can legally sell some of their ammo to other private individuals?
    Any explanation of why or why not is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Best,
    Jim

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    No and you wouldn't want to without a huge pile of insurance. If the ammo you load were to malfunction or blow up in a gun and hurt someone you would be responsible. Legally you need a license to manufacture ammo for sale.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I wouldn't sell any of my ammo even if it were legal. Too many things to worry about. If I do something stupid and hurt myself is one thing, I couldn't take the shame of hurting someone else by my stupidity. I'm not comfortable giving someone a box of my trap shotgun loads when we're out and want to shoot another round. But that's just me.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    This requires a 06 or 07 FFL.

06-Manufacturer of components or ammunition.

07-Manufacturer of firearms (also covers ammunition)

There is also a 11% federal excise tax on ammunition.

I used to own half of a reloading component business. We looked very seriously into becoming an ammunition manufacturer.

Liability insurance is also another big one. 10 million was a good starting point according to other manufacturers out there.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Requires both a state and federal license in Maryland and another license if you are going to possess more than 5 pounds of smokeless powder.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I'm very careful in preparing my reloads. Nevertheless, I never let anyone else shoot my reloads in their guns or my guns.

I wouldn't sell any of my ammo even if it were legal. Too many things to worry about. If I do something stupid and hurt myself is one thing, I couldn't take the shame of hurting someone else by my stupidity. I'm not comfortable giving someone a box of my trap shotgun loads when we're out and want to shoot another round. But that's just me.
    You are an honorable man, there are some people not so honorable that would sell their grandmother's teeth if given a chance. Someone at a range was trying to lowkey peddle his stuff once, luckily the word "SQUIB" flashed before me so i avoided the offer.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/person-who-reloads-ammunition-required-be-licensed-manufacturer

Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit.

No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) and 923(a); 27 CFR 478.41]
    I like this quick explanation, means, "Blow your own head off but don't do it to anyone else".....

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Pretty much what has been said. Although, during the powder/ammo shortage a couple years ago while doing my due diligence in learning to reload I found the names of two people who load for large/dangerous game for various customers. One in Alaska and the other I found while visiting family in NC, who I heard meet @ time x @ place y. So I stopped in and met a group who were just shooting the crap, I found the guy and he was able to direct me to a powder supplier with powder!:D and a unicorn!
    So, in respect to the OP, where does one go legally to find specialty cartridges that may not easily be found or ones you want to trust with your life ... Lion vs crackhead.
    If your a wealthy Dentist that wakes up and says "I want to shoot a Lion!" do you go to Dicks and buy the $89 box of 20 rnds and a backpack?
    Sorry if I am changing direction of the thread, and I am not going after lions, just a thought as I find this interesting.

Looking back at your thread topic one could say yes, Freedom Munitions (a reloader) sells to private individuals (us) but the answers are probably what you were looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom