• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Call the sheriff's department and report the theft and I'd call the FFL and let them know that they bought a bunch of stolen guns, hopefully they still have some/ most of them

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I’d call the police and report them as stolen, divorce the wife, and make sure charges are pressed against the ex and Brother-In-Law. Alternatively, you can swear a criminal complaint at the district court and press charges that way.

Scratch that - under Maryland law you have to report stolen firearms to the police. Do that.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    While I was in the hospital my wife had my brother in law take my guns and sell them to an FFL without my permission is that legal?
    Can you prove they were your guns and not your wife's? If yes, then they were stolen from you by your wife and BIL. If not, you're screwed and you need to have a long talk to your wife.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    BTW, I am sorry that you are having to deal with this on top of recovering from whatever put you in the hospital (hope you are on the mend). What was the wife's rationale? Did she just hate guns and took the opportunity to be rid of them, or was she looking for money to cover medical bills? Seems like a really irrational thing to do.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Q - “Can anyone take my guns to a FFL and sell them?”

A - Yes, obvious from OP

Methinks the real question should be:

q - How do I respond / what steps should I be taking when my wife and b-i-l sell my guns to an FFL without my knowledge?

OP, I wish you nothing but success and hope this thread soon contains good news for you

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If I was in this situation and didn't have children, I would be going to prison for murder. Having children would make me think twice about it, but it might still happen.

OP - you have already been given some really solid advice on this one. Question is whether you can prove you owned them. If the answer is yes, the next question is how badly do you want them back? Bad enough to bring charges against your wife? Bad enough to report them stolen and get your wife and BIL in trouble? If you do not want to get your wife and/or BIL in trouble, maybe approach the FFL and offer to buy them back for what the FFL paid for them plus a convenience fee.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Sit your wife and BIL down and tell them they have two options:
    1. Either get all your guns back and replace any that are missing.
    2. Or go to jail for theft.

Pick number one or number two!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As said ;

There is nothing Firearm Specific about that ( presuming that Wife and BIL aren't Prohibited ) . But it's still regular old Grand Theft .

[ Unless while you were in the hospital , the family was destitute , and this was the only way to put food on the table , and keep shoes on the children's feet .]

Can you prove ownership ? Hint - Any Regulated Weapons aquired in Maryland , the system has records of 77R .

Are you willing to press Felony charges against your Soon to be Ex Wife , and Soon to be Former BIL ?

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Holy cow. WTF. Good grief. Fair enough….

I have sold guns to an FFL and done consignments. I was never asked for proof of ownership. I think it depends on the county whether to check for “stolen firearms”. Guns or any other of my property, unless I was in a coma and my wife was destitute, I’d be calling a divorce lawyer in addition to talking about what redress you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom