Can an AGC member please explain the Pistol Range to me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I've been a member of the AGC for a couple years and have only used the pistol range twice. Both times I went with another member who already had targets setup so I didn't need to do anything.

I went this morning on my own only to be frustrated and return home without ever removing my pistols from their holsters.

So... it's a 50 yard pistol range, right? That means 50 yards from the firing line to the berm? What are the metal stands in the center? Are they at 25 yards?

It looks to me that if you want to fire closer in than 25 yards, you need to be on the far right side. The people shooting there all looked like they had home made target stands which they had brought with them. (Like the rifle range.) How many lanes allow the placement of a target closer than 25 yards? I didn't notice pvc pipe in the ground for the purpose of accepting a stand except in maybe the first 6 lanes on the right.

Of the rest of the lanes... the ones with the metal stands out at 25yrds (?) are they even functional? Most of them look pretty mangled. I didn't wait for a cease to be called to go out and inspect them. I brought cardboard with me and thought I remembered that these metal stands were channeled so that you could slide your cardboard into them. Most appeared to be bent. Even if they were channeled to accept cardboard, I doubt this would work. It looked like most people were zip tying their cardboard onto the stands. Which is fine, I just didn't know and didn't bring any zip ties with me.

Maybe someone can explain this to me better so that I am prepared next time I go up. Ultimately, I have some new-to-me handguns that I would like to put through their paces. I don't want to do this at 25 yards. Does this mean I'm limited to just 6 or so available lanes? If I want to shoot closer than 25 yards, do I need to build my own stand? Does the AGC have plans available or does anyone know the spacing for the uprights to fit down in the PVC? Is it the same as on the rifle range? If I do decide to shoot at 25 yards, am I correct in assuming that I should bring some zip ties to secure the cardboard to the frames?

I would like to be better prepared next time I go up there.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    I've been a member of the AGC for a couple years and have only used the pistol range twice. Both times I went with another member who already had targets setup so I didn't need to do anything.

I went this morning on my own only to be frustrated and return home without ever removing my pistols from their holsters.

So... it's a 50 yard pistol range, right? That means 50 yards from the firing line to the berm? What are the metal stands in the center? Are they at 25 yards?

It looks to me that if you want to fire closer in than 25 yards, you need to be on the far right side. The people shooting there all looked like they had home made target stands which they had brought with them. (Like the rifle range.) How many lanes allow the placement of a target closer than 25 yards? I didn't notice pvc pipe in the ground for the purpose of accepting a stand except in maybe the first 6 lanes on the right.

Of the rest of the lanes... the ones with the metal stands out at 25yrds (?) are they even functional? Most of them look pretty mangled. I didn't wait for a cease to be called to go out and inspect them. I brought cardboard with me and thought I remembered that these metal stands were channeled so that you could slide your cardboard into them. Most appeared to be bent. Even if they were channeled to accept cardboard, I doubt this would work. It looked like most people were zip tying their cardboard onto the stands. Which is fine, I just didn't know and didn't bring any zip ties with me.

Maybe someone can explain this to me better so that I am prepared next time I go up. Ultimately, I have some new-to-me handguns that I would like to put through their paces. I don't want to do this at 25 yards. Does this mean I'm limited to just 6 or so available lanes? If I want to shoot closer than 25 yards, do I need to build my own stand? Does the AGC have plans available or does anyone know the spacing for the uprights to fit down in the PVC? Is it the same as on the rifle range? If I do decide to shoot at 25 yards, am I correct in assuming that I should bring some zip ties to secure the cardboard to the frames?

I would like to be better prepared next time I go up there.

If you bring your own stand you can shoot at any distance to 50 yards so long as you impact the berm. They make some green stands available to shooters that can be placed at 3, 5, and 7 yards.

You do not have to be on the right to shoot shorter distances though the club that thinks they own the pistol range tends to hold the opinion that you do. The only time the RO's should give you any grief would be when there are clubs holding an event there.

If you have any questions ask to talk to Patrick or Wade. Or you can send a PM to Delta. He's the XO out there.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    When I go to the pistol range I go over to the right and grab a lane with the metal stands which hold a standard target like the 100yds range. If you look all the way to the right, they have markers at 7, 10, and (I think) 15 yds.

Last weekend (with no wind) I was able to set my standard target frame out at 25 yds tucked between a bar and a cinderblock.

Rob.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    AGC Pistol range advice

Please note: the AGC does not want people to have pistols in holsters at the range. If you have any questions about this, you should call the AGC and talk to one of the RSO's.

There is often some cardboard that someone left on the metal frames at 25 yds that you can use. If there isn't you might find some cardboard that people leave in the rafters at the far end of the pistol range that you can use. It's a good idea to bring your own cardboard and zip ties if you want to use the 25 yd target at the pistol range. You are only allowed to put one target at a time on the metal target frames.

The RSO's want people who are shooting closer than 25 yards at the pistol range to shoot at the far end of the pistol range where the racks are. If the racks are occupied, you can take the positions available to the immediate left. I bring my own target frame with me and use the racks at the far end of the pistol range when they are available. The RSO's can sell you a target frame which is made to the AGC specifications, if you don't have one. The frame I have won't fit in both sides of the rack, so I place one side of the frame in the rack tube and the other side of my stand I fit in between the rack rails. I also made a target stand that will hold my frame out of two 24" of 2 x 4 lumber. I drilled a hole in the center of the 2x4 that is large enough for a 2" piece of PVC pipe. I put a screw through the 2X4 and into the pipe to hold it in place. I drilled a couple of holes at the ends of the 2 x 4 that allow me to put some 6 inch spike nails through to keep the frame from tipping over on a windy day. I drilled 2 holes that allowed me to run a piece of rope to each of the 2 x 4 boards to make it easy to carry.

If you don't buy one of the frames sold at the AGC, you want to make for sure your frame is tall enough to place on the rack and be able to place your target so you will hit the berm when you are shooting. Shorter frames won't allow you to do this. An advantage of having your own wooden target frame is that you would be allowed to put more than one target on the frame at a time. You are only allowed one target at a time on the metal target frames at the pistol range.

I recommend that you go to the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore website and read the range rules. If you have any questions, you should call the AGC and talk to one of the Range Safety Officers.

The AGC is a wonderful range. Every range has it's own set of rules, so it's always a good idea to read them and talk to the RSO before you come or set up.

Have fun! :)

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    It's not as stable as being staked into the ground, but I made a PVC target frame for hanging tennis balls and ping pong balls from for the rifle range, and I've used just the 'feet' of it for holding up a standard target frame for use on the rifle range. Basically just several sections of PVC connected with a T for each 'leg'.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    When I go to the pistol range I go over to the right and grab a lane with the metal stands which hold a standard target like the 100yds range. If you look all the way to the right, they have markers at 7, 10, and (I think) 15 yds.

Last weekend (with no wind) I was able to set my standard target frame out at 25 yds tucked between a bar and a cinderblock.

Rob.

Actually those markers are on both sides of the pistol range.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    The RSO's want people who are shooting closer than 25 yards at the pistol range to shoot at the far end of the pistol range where the racks are. If the racks are occupied, you can take the positions available to the immediate left.

Not one single word of that exists in the range rules. Read them for yourself, not one bit of that is true.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/rangerules.htm

Range Specific Rules

50 Yard Pistol Range
    This range is designated for the shooting of revolvers and semiautomatic pistols only, and any special shooting events approved by AGC Sanctioned Committees, Executive Committee or the Board of Trustees.

Pistols configured to shoot shotgun shells only may not be fired on the Pistol Range; they may be fired only on the Barnes and Shotgun Patterning Range.

Firing from a prone or Creedmoor position is prohibited.

When metal frames are used only a single centered target is allowed.

Zero zip nada about where or how close you can shoot when.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I thought of using a PVC stand to hold my target frame. It would be a heck of a lot lighter. Can you drill some holes in the bottom of your pvc frame that would allow you to spike it to the ground? It would help keep it from tipping over. The only problem is, that it has been so dry lately that the ground is like concrete. Same problem when shooting at the winter. Luckly, unless there is a club shoot, there is almost always a space available on the racks.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    OP, at the bottom of the range rules, (link in Bulletbill's post above), is a pdf link for building your own target frame.

My only problem was building mine with the bottom horizontal brace to low. The width is supposed to be 14" and that fluctuates a little with each of the green stands on the right at the range.

Bulletbill, I think the reason most think close shooting is only allowed at the far right is that, that is were most of the close shooting takes place. Notice that all the 25yd metal target frames are mostly on the left. If you put in a closer target you must remove the large metal frames from behind your target, so that bullet strikes the berm and doesn't damage the metal frames.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    OP, at the bottom of the range rules, (link in Bulletbill's post above), is a pdf link for building your own target frame.

My only problem was building mine with the bottom horizontal brace to low. The width is supposed to be 14" and that fluctuates a little with each of the green stands on the right at the range.

Bulletbill, I think the reason most think close shooting is only allowed at the far right is that, that is were most of the close shooting takes place. Notice that all the 25yd metal target frames are mostly on the left. If you put in a closer target you must remove the large metal frames from behind your target, so that bullet strikes the berm and doesn't damage the metal frames.

If people are leaving the metal frames up well that's on them for being to lazy to take them down.

Look that stupid yellow band on the pole don't mean a damn thing. Talk to Mr. Myers. this is a point of consternation about the pistol range for him and maybe the board will get off their asses and actually make a definitive rule about the pistol range and put it in black and white. But the simple fact is there is no rule about which lane is distance specific.

And look the last thing the guys there need is a bunch of whining about the pistol range they already have enough to deal with, well except for John he's a pain in the ass so feel free to complain to him as much as you like. They're going to go off of what is in black and white set by the board if pushed plain and simple.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Please note: the AGC does not want people to have pistols in holsters at the range.
    :mad54:
    calling BS on that

General safety, rule 6:
    On duty Law Enforcement, AGC Employees, and AGC members may transport and carry according to applicable Maryland Law.
    Having a firearm in an enclosed holster is explicitely mentioned in MD law as a viable mode of transportation

and
    rule 20:
    ...the shooting from holsters are permitted under the direct
    supervision of .... the Action Shooting Committee

So as long as I don't shoot from the holster it is fine. If I want to do holster work, I just need to get committee approval and presence of a designate.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    If people are leaving the metal frames up well that's on them for being to lazy to take them down.

Look that stupid yellow band on the pole don't mean a damn thing. Talk to Mr. Myers. this is a point of consternation about the pistol range for him and maybe the board will get off their asses and actually make a definitive rule about the pistol range and put it in black and white. But the simple fact is there is no rule about which lane is distance specific.

And look the last thing the guys there need is a bunch of whining about the pistol range they already have enough to deal with, well except for John he's a pain in the ass so feel free to complain to him as much as you like. They're going to go off of what is in black and white set by the board if pushed plain and simple.

I thought I was in agreement with you, but that it's only become a "right / left" situation, because of people using it that way. It gets yellow caution tape for an event then someone leaves it there...means nothing, but someone was lazy.

I've gotten told by the RSO to take down the metal frame in my line of fire, so that's what I do now.

I don't know any of those names you mentioned. I do hear of politics and power-plays going on...don't have time or an interest in such things. I'll be your best friend if you forgive me. :D

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    I'll be your best friend if you forgive me. :D

You already were....:D Hell, my only friend. How sad is that? The dogs don't even like me anymore :D

Look me up next time, I'll introduce you.

As far as the yellow ring/line, I believe some club painted it there it's just to the left if the half wall if you're facing the berm.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    at 25 & 50 the agc has metal frames for members to move around and attach cardboard to. these frames are on the right side of the range behind the cement wall. they must be moved out of the way if one wishes to shoot close 7 yrds and out

the metal pipes that are in the ground between 7 & 25 yrds belonged to a club and not the AGC. It is my understanding that they are currently not available for general use.

# 3
    shooting from 7 yrds out is ok as long as your round impact the dirt berm at 50 yards. You will need a target frame high enough for you the shooter to be able to hit the impact area. This all depends on your body height. I would suggest that you bring some kind of base with you to support your frame. The AGC sells pistol frames that work on this range. they should be the 24 in wide model with the swing around feet. Also be aware that the little flags in the ground mark a electrical cable that was buried at a questionable depth. this area should be avoided if you use a spike type frame holder.

the reason for no holsters is that You can not draw from a holster therefor they do not want to seen them. if you are LE or CC permit then you may wear a holster. but are not allowed to draw from it. this is because of the muzzle sweeping the line. (yes LE are trained but the yahoo that just saw an action hero doing it in a movie and wants to do the same stupid moves is putting people at risk) ((some FTO's have been granted permission to teach a limited holster draw in there classes only))

The RSO work for us to mainly keep the range safe but also to help members when they have questions. More then likely the RSO would of tried to make sure you did not waste a trip to the range. If I was there and was made aware of your frame issue and I had a loaner frame available I would of with out a question made it available to you.

It make me fell bad when members of the association come out to shoot and have to go away without shooting. This goes against what we stand for.

These are my opinions only on this issue. Please refer to the AGC range rules and ask questions to the RSO. These are our employees.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    what club do you belong to?

All these questions you have should of been discussed during your range safety orientation. It sounds like you club failed to do a proper job.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    You can also buy from the RSO what we call in the SCA portable holes to hold you stand. They are a basically a long spike with a ring wielded on, so that you push or hammer into the ground and then put the legs of your stand into the rings. I bought a set because I'm lazy and if the provided holders are not already at the range I want I use mine instead of moving the ones provided. Also holster for transporting in your range bag is fine, unless you are approved for drawing just don't strap it on.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    There is always a difference between the rules of a group, and the culture that defines the unspoken group rules. You just ran into a problem where the culture expects something that the rules have not defined.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    If you go to the agc rules

just below the section talking about pets and the Sanctioned Match paragraph

"Fully automatic fire and the shooting from holsters are permitted under the direct supervision of the Full Auto Committee and the Action Shooting Committee." cut and paste from http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/rangerules.htm

Holster are not permitted unless under the direct supervision of the Full Auto Committee and the Action Shooting Committee.

It took me time to find it in the range rules.

Yes I agree it is a little hard to find

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom