• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Sometimes we gun owners are our own worst enemies. How did a 16 year-old even end up unsupervised in the woods with a firearm?

Where was his dad at the time and how were the guns secured...or not?

Sometimes we gun owners are our own worst enemies. How did a 16 year-old even end up unsupervised in the woods with a firearm?

Will the parents be charged with negligence since he is a minor? I am assuming he is not the owner of the gun.

I'll probably get flamed for this,Newtowne 20 is public housing so I'll guess the gun was "hot" and his parent(s)/guardian(s) couldn't care less.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I guess a 16 year old could get a HQL. They are good for ten years.

Section 5-117.1
    Public Safety Article

Subject to subsections F and G of this article, the Secretary shall issue a Handgun Qualification License to a person who the Secretary finds:

(1) Is at least 21 years old . . .​

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Unless that area has changed a lot over the years, I'm not surprised to hear of a 16 year old with a gun down there.

Plus he supposedly threw it into the woods and nobody can find it now. Brilliant. I hope no little kid finds it.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    So he "shoots himself" (which I'm guessing hurts like hell) and his first reaction is to ditch the firearm....

At least it's more creative than "minding his own business" which is apparently pretty dangerous.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Can a 16 yo. get an HQL?

Within 3 years prior to the submission of an HQL application, an applicant must demonstrate a satisfactory completion of a Firearms Safety Training Course. Qualified Handgun Instructors can be found online (here). The Firearms Safety Training Course must be instructed by a Qualified Handgun Instructor, and shall consist of a minimum of 4 hours of instruction .

cgunnut

Mar 29, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD

Yes I agree we are our own worst enemies. However, the issue is one of society, we have abandoned our families. His "father" is probably not in the picture, divorce being rampant and all. Plus he probably didn't get trained on firearms, I am always telling my children even a 22 is deadly even if it is a tiny "cute" bullet (plus they have shot it many times :)). Sad situation, hope he isn't maned for life.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If he doesn't have powder burns, I would be inclined to say someone shot him and he doesn't want to snitch.
    He told the police he shot himself and threw the gun in the woods. However, the police can't find the gun- I'm not buying his story.

^ this

he got capped in the knee cap

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    16 yo- not allowed to posses a handgun- possession of a handgun by a minor
    Said he had it in the waistband of his pants, discharged as he was drawing it. Concealed handgun without carry permit, discharging a firearm within city limits

Threw it into the woods- obstructing an investigation. tampering with evidence
    How did he get it? stolen- another charge, obtained via straw purchase- another charge. Who did he get it from?

Police couldn't find the firearm? With all the crime scene investigative stuff available (metal detectors, etc.)? I suspect he never threw it in the woods.

And Newtowne is one of the hotbeds of drug/criminal/violent activity in Annapolis.

I too am interested in the presence or absence of GSR or burn marks on his hands, clothes, skin.

As others believe, he likely was selling drugs in someone else's territory and got capped.
    I saw this several times on trauma at Highland General Hospital in Oakland calif. Knees and elbows were common "targets".

This young man needs to be charged- For the children

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom