• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Last night after watching Conan O'brian I am about to go to sleep at about 2:00 AM and I hear something outside that might be a scream for help. At first I let it go thinking maybe it was just my imagination, but it sounded real enough that I just couldn't just do nothing without at least investigating to make sure a neighbor wasn't being raped or somthing, so I get partially dressed, grab my CZ82 and go outside.
    About a minute outside I hear it again...."Awmeep"
    It was high pitched enough to sound like a young woman and it was coming from the direction or the house up the hill and across the street.
    My spine tingles, but I wasn't totally sure what was going on. The voice sounded almost like a muffled "AhhhHeelllp". So now my heart is racing and I wait again to pinpoint where it is coming from and then I hear again, but much louder "AHNeedheeellpp". This time it is comming from my left seemingly fifty yards away from where I first thought it was coming from. So now I am confused I wait again.
    It happens again, but this time from where I first heard it and it was an unmistakable, high pitched "HEeellp MEee". So I run inside and call 911 to tell them I hear screams of someone in distress then go back outside to wait for the cops.

While waiting for the cops, I keep hearing every 30 seconds "AhhhHeellp", but it sometimes is louder and from the other direction again.
    So I am out there listenning to scream of "bhwaaaaaaaeell".....wait....shit, now that I think about it, that might be some kind of animal.....

Well, the cops show up a few minutes later and when I describe the woman sounding scream and how blood curdling it sounded, but how it repeated the same over and over like an animal or something, that is when he told me about deer and doe.
    He said what a doe gets seperated from the mother it will whelp to let the mother know where it is and I guess the other whelp I heard was the mother responding to the call.

So go ahead you hunters and outdoorsmen (and women), laugh at this city boy for shitting his pants at the sounds of nature. :o

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    thats funny..... but I would have probably done the same thing.

DorGunR

R.I.P.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Severn
    Hey at least you did something ............what if it really was someone calling for help and you did nothing?

Don't be embarrassed, I think you did the right thing. :thumbsup:

bowtiebandit

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbia
    Did the same thing about two years ago....we had a fox move into our neighborhood. I never heard one in the middle of the night "cry". Had no idea what it was.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Did the same thing about two years ago....we had a fox move into our neighborhood. I never heard one in the middle of the night "cry". Had no idea what it was.

The first time I hear a rabbit scream was when my dog caught one stuck halfway in a chain link fence and was literally skinning it alive. I swear screaming rabbits sound just like it could be a little kid with its leg stuck in a meat grinder.
    I never knew rabbits could even make sounds, much less scream bloody murder.

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    LOl. I remember hearing that for the first time when I was 15. It sounds like some woman is being brutaly killed. It freaked me out so I know what you went through. At least you had the courage to check on it when many wouldn't have.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Screech owls will fool you pretty good as well. I've heard numerous stories about people calling 911 because of animal sounds at night. You aren't the only one.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Don't feel bad....its VERY COMMON!!!!

I'm not sure what you heard but 9/10 times it's fox. I heard a fox call and it sounds exactly like a woman screaming.

You did the right thing to fair on the side of caution. I'd much rather check and it be a fox or animal then be a person in distress. :thumbsup:

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I used to keep peacocks for a while sometime ago. Some of the first nights we bought them home they cried out in the barn at night. One night, at around 2;00AM I heard a car coming up our rather long driveway. I checked it out and it was MSP. Our neighbor behind us called them saying they heard the " muffled screams of a woman" from our property. It was the peacocks! We had a good laugh about it. Did it sound like this?......Wait for 15 seconds in...

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    So go ahead you hunters and outdoorsmen (and women), laugh at this city boy for shitting his pants at the sounds of nature. :o

It's still muzzleloader season, so this is your chance to get back at the deer.

Nonetheless - when working for EMS we have from time to time been called to "screaming like injured" persons..... usually turned out to be the 4-legged furry variant.
    Foxes - coughing like suffocating, moaning
    Deer - screaming woman
    Boar (young) - high pitched screaming, might be a child

I can understand the response, especially in a residential area.

Small deer can sound very human when they bleat.

I've got a fawn bleat call that's designed specifically for bringing in does when I'm hunting.
    I've only used it once, and it didn't bring anything in.
    The theory is that if you get a doe, or two in the area bucks might follow.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I used to keep peacocks for a while sometime ago. Some of the first nights we bought them home they cried out in the barn at night. One night, at around 2;00AM I heard a car coming up our rather long driveway. I checked it out and it was MSP. Our neighbor behind us called them saying they heard the " muffled screams of a woman" from our property. It was the peacocks! We had a good laugh about it. Did it sound like this?......Wait for 15 seconds in...

Kind of or it could be, but it was not right after the other that close between calls.
    But then again by the the time I heard it again my adrenaline was up and my memory may be skewed.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Hey at least you did something ............what if it really was someone calling for help and you did nothing?

Don't be embarrassed, I think you did the right thing. :thumbsup:
    Yeah, I would never have forgiven myself if it turned out to be one of those cases where someone was repeatedly raped or stabbed to be left to die and it was a day before someone did anything or found out what the screams were.

Glad I have a gun so as to at least be better prepared for the worst if it ever happens when I go outside.

beaglefan

Nov 29, 2008
    Essex md.
    You did the right thing.Once was awaken by scream.I did not call cops thinking it was just a drunk or druggy.Turn out a paper delivery guy was being stabbed.You better believe the next time I'm calling.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Hunters, ID what Maryland animal makes this sound: Somebody trying to start a motorcycle.

And no, the answer human doesn't count.

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick

Was woke up while camping along the Potomac to this sound. At the time I wasn't sure what it was but thought it was close to a bobcat. I was confident it wasn't a goose, which is what my wife thought. I first heard a bobcat when I was 13, I lived in Northern NY at the time. I came running inside grabbing my dad telling him there was someone being attacked and we had to do something. He went outside with me and told me that it was a bobcat. Unfortunately I can't find a good bobcat scream online. I thought it was much more like a woman than the deer or fox.

Last edited:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Was woke up while camping along the Potomac to this sound. At the time I wasn't sure what it was but thought it was close to a bobcat. I was confident it wasn't a goose, which is what my wife thought. I first heard a bobcat when I was 13, I lived in Northern NY at the time. I came running inside grabbing my dad telling him there was someone being attacked and we had to do something. He went outside with me and told me that it was a bobcat. Unfortunately I can't find a good bobcat scream online. I thought it was much more like a woman than the deer or fox.

That sounded creepy as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom