• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tenhoff

Sep 14, 2012
    So I was reading the FAQs fron Delegate Justin Ready and came across this

"What are the exceptions to the handgun qualification license requirement?

In order to be able to purchase, rent, or receive a handgun without first obtaining an HQL, you must possess valid active-duty or retirement credentials from a law enforcement agency, be an active-duty or retired member of the armed forces or the National Guard with valid military ID, or be purchasing an antique, curio, or relic firearm as defined by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. So this means I don't need the HQL to purchase C&R, for example the Tokarev TTC?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Apparently its another area of confusion, I've asked at 2 shops that I will not name and both stated they require a HQL for any handgun purchase.
    Does the law mean you need a C&R FFL to purchase a C&R handgun without having to have a HQL?

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Apparently its another area of confusion, I've asked at 2 shops that I will not name and both stated they require a HQL for any handgun purchase.
    Does the law mean you need a C&R FFL to purchase a C&R handgun without having to have a HQL?

The confusion is on the part of the shops and their employees. C&R handguns do not require an HQL for purchase.

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD

Suggest that they take a look at the MSP Form 77 - the HQL exemption for C&R firearms is right on the form...I'm not sure I'd want to do business with a shop that is not familiar with the required forms.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Thanks for the info, now are they going with the ATF's description of C&R being anything older than 50 years or do they require it to be specifically listed on the C&R list?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Thanks for the info, now are they going with the ATF's description of C&R being anything older than 50 years or do they require it to be specifically listed on the C&R list?

My understanding is that more than 50 years old is automatically c&r. If its newer than that it has to be on the ATF list. For example, all models and serial numbers of the cz82 are c&r even though they are not 50 years old.

Go check out the c&r forum's faq.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I would think the smart gun dealers would get a stock of C&R handguns so they'd have something to sell to walk-ins who are unlikely to jump through O'Malley's hoops to buy a gun.

Having a few CZ82s, P64s, P1s, and Toks could prevent a lost sale.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Form 77 yes, HQL no, for C&R handguns, no 03 FFL required.

Moved several C&R Lugers and a P38 recently, no HQL necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom