• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • keepshooting

Aug 22, 2009
    Waldorf
    Just giving everyone a heads up...

We just finished a lengthy ATF compliance inspection. One of the inspectors mentioned that they had done a random sampling of C&R license inspections for the first time.

I was left with a distinct impression that the results of the random checks they did are being used to justify more agency resources for more wide ranging inspections.

Not that it will happen, especially if things change after the election, but just thought I'd mention it as a good time to verify your records.

-BP

keepshooting

Aug 22, 2009
    Waldorf
    Was the inspector named Nina??.. I hold a C&R and had this very thing happen last spring. I really only have a few entries in my bound book....
    Here was my experience.. See post #63.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=7978&highlight=BATFE+Audit&page=4

No, it wasn't Nina Regert (or however her name is spelled) but I know exactly who you met with. She's always been very easy to work with for us, hope you had the same experience with her.

I honestly was a bit surprised to hear they were doing C&R audits. While its always been "possible" I thought with the low percentage of dealer FFL's they audited that collectors would be an after thought.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I have a question for you:
    I got my C&R back in March. I haven't bought a damn thing with it yet. I have not even bought a book for it yet. What happens if they show up at my door and I still do not have a book?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have a question for you:
    I got my C&R back in March. I haven't bought a damn thing with it yet. I have not even bought a book for it yet. What happens if they show up at my door and I still do not have a book?

They wouldn't show up, for there is no trail to follow.

Besides, they call and make an appointment. There is a thread around here somewhere that tells you the process :)

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    No, it wasn't Nina Regert (or however her name is spelled) but I know exactly who you met with. She's always been very easy to work with for us, hope you had the same experience with her.

I honestly was a bit surprised to hear they were doing C&R audits. While its always been "possible" I thought with the low percentage of dealer FFL's they audited that collectors would be an after thought.

Yeah, she was great. Nice girl. It just took longer then I thought it would. She said "about an hour or so" on the phone and it was over 3 hours..
    In fact she sounded suprised that, at the time, I only had the C&R for around 10 months.

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    My c&r will expire next year and I have a fairly respectable list of entry’s , what happens if I don’t renew. I know I have to keep the book.

Gfacter

Oct 9, 2008
    Metro MD
    I have been using a spread sheet and print a new sheet on every new entry.

I am waiting for the hot ATF girl to call me....still waiting...

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    My c&r will expire next year and I have a fairly respectable list of entry’s , what happens if I don’t renew. I know I have to keep the book.

No, you don't have to keep the book. C&R's don't have that requirement of keeping the old books.

Mark

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    They wouldn't show up, for there is no trail to follow.
    When you say "no trail", do you mean for a gun purchase? Like when a regular FFL buys guns from a distributor?

One gun I bought came from a C & R holder in another state, and if he was never audited, there would be no way (absent an audit of my book) for anyone to know I now had the gun. Now what I've purchased from S.O.G. J & G Sales, etc .......

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    When you say "no trail", do you mean for a gun purchase? Like when a regular FFL buys guns from a distributor?

One gun I bought came from a C & R holder in another state, and if he was never audited, there would be no way (absent an audit of my book) for anyone to know I now had the gun. Now what I've purchased from S.O.G. J & G Sales, etc .......

Yep,

The BATFE has been auditing quite a few FFLs in SOMD for some reason, they're starting to make me paranoid :o

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I think I've purchased a grand total of 3 guns in 2 years with my C&R so my records are pretty sparse. I'm sure they'd have better things to do than to come and waste their time with me....either way though I have all my records in check!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I've mainly seen it happening with renewals.
    03's are getting dinged with "report of violation". This apparently stems from (lack of/incorrect) record keeping and for brand new C&R holders it seems a semi-common occurrence.

I can't find any reference to anyone receiving a fine for it, just a notice that if the record keeping didn't improve- the license could be revoked.
    You can bet on another audit to check said record keeping I'll wager...

I'm in the process of renewing my C&R. ATF cashed the check a month ago. Just waiting to see which letter I receive- audit notification or new license.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I am not the best record keeper but with my C&R bound book I stay up to date if I buy or sell its logged in right away.. BATFE scares me

empty5853

Aug 22, 2007
    Mechanicsville
    I'm in the process of renewing my C&R. ATF cashed the check a month ago. Just waiting to see which letter I receive- audit notification or new license.

Me too. It's been almost 8 weeks since I sent the paperwork in and still nothing. They cashed my check about a month ago also. Didn't know that I might get an audit notification :tinfoil:

Oh well. My BB is up to date and accurate. I'm sure it's not in the right format but.....:toothless

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom