• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    So i recently found what i believe to be a good deal on on a 5.7 AR upper. It includes the upper, 5 50rd mags, and 200 rds of ammo for a little less than $700 shipped. I was thinking this would be great, but when i went to check out they're ammo selection ( i'm sure that would be a hungry toy:D) it said that they don't ship ammo to Montgomery County MD !?! Can anyone explain why this is? I've only bought ammo online once or twice so was it a fluke that i was able to get it? Thanks for your insight.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It dates back to the early to mid 80s when Mo Co passed a law saying that anyone selling ammo in that county had to be licensed and record the information of the ammo purchaser and provide it upon demand to the police there, or something close to this.
    SHortly after the law, also back in the early to mid 80s, Atlantic Guns sued the county or challenged its enforcement and won based on state preemption or something. But even if they did not win on state preemption at the time, state preemption exists today and the law is completely moot either way.

Someone has posted on this board the court case opinion where Atlantic won the case, but I always have had trouble finding it again.

There is nothing in law which prevents you from recieving ammo in Mo Co, but you have to show the ammunition supplier this is ok if they initially refuse.
    If they look up the law in the ATF book of State Laws FFLs get, they will see the "editor's note" which states the Mo Co law is moot.

Ultimate Member
    So i recently found what i believe to be a good deal on on a 5.7 AR upper. It includes the upper, 5 50rd mags, and 200 rds of ammo for a little less than $700 shipped. I was thinking this would be great, but when i went to check out they're ammo selection ( i'm sure that would be a hungry toy:D) it said that they don't ship ammo to Montgomery County MD !?! Can anyone explain why this is? I've only bought ammo online once or twice so was it a fluke that i was able to get it? Thanks for your insight.

umm, you need to get the mags out of state. Find a friend in PA or VA.

there are a number of us on here that you can ship ammo too, but keep mags over 20rnds from being shipped into the state.

we'll make that silly law go away someday. But, apparently this 20rnd limit gives us a much higher Brady center rating as a state.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

I buy from Ammunition To Go.

I buy handgun ammo and shotshells from them all the time. I am in Bethesda BTW.

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    The mags arnt an issue because I still have the lease on my old college appartment in Indiana:D and a roommate that is from here who comes home for winter break in a week or 2, but I don't want to drive 10 hours everytime I find a deal on ammo.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    AIM Surplus will ship to MOCO. Century normally won't.

Mark

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    AIM, Ammoman, Wideners have all shipped me ammo.

I would have the whole package shipped to someone out of state. If you pass let me know I have a great out of state person to dump it on :)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    AIM, Ammoman, Wideners have all shipped me ammo.

I would have the whole package shipped to someone out of state. If you pass let me know I have a great out of state person to dump it on :)

Cabelas ships to MoCo. as well. Just ordered 200 rounds of 45 ACP WWB

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom