• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Do all LEOs understand the law as we do?

The FFL I recently used was adamant that it was illegal for a MD resident to purchase >10 round magazines out of state and bring them home. Granted, he is an elderly fellow who only transfers guns as a FFL as a hobby and for a little extra cash. But he was POSITIVE it was illegal - after it was apparent he was convinced he was right, I didn't argue the point further.

My concern is if this licensed FFL doesn't understand the law, what are the odds a well meaning LEO doesn't either?

I realize if stopped, charged, and had magazines confiscated you would have your day in court but who needs that PIA.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

The FFL I recently used was adamant that it was illegal for a MD resident to purchase >10 round magazines out of state and bring them home. Granted, he is an elderly fellow who only transfers guns as a FFL as a hobby and for a little extra cash. But he was POSITIVE it was illegal - after it was apparent he was convinced he was right, I didn't argue the point further.

My concern is if this licensed FFL doesn't understand the law, what are the odds a well meaning LEO doesn't either?

I realize if stopped, charged, and had magazines confiscated you would have your day in court but who needs that PIA.

Imagine a large tool box with a multitude of different tools... Each one serves a particular purpose.

Now replace the word "tool" with the word "law".

Different LEOs focus and specialize on different tools to do their job. A NARC LEO will be quite fluent in nearly all matters having to do with Narcotics Law and investigation techniques. A LEO who works Traffic will be well up on all matters relating to traffic law. Most will have a general idea on most other laws but will NOT be specialized or current on all new laws and many older laws relating to firearms. Therefore, you will find some who do not know as much as you do on the matter.

But, They will not want to commit any violation of your civil rights in arresting or charging you. So, they will dig into the specific laws and find out what they are... IF they come into contact with you while you are moving/transporting any firearms. This is where YOU can help your self. Carrying a copy of current laws applicable to transport of firearms and proper Identification... can help you immensely. Making sure that you are in total compliance with those laws will also be to your benefit.

Do not expect the narcotics LEO or traffic LEO to know everything... But if you get stopped while transporting... BE LEGAL and have the copies of the pertaining laws with you. AND in a calm and RESPECTFUL manner, you may offer to show the investigation LEO those copies of the CURRENT laws and therefore why you believe that your ARE in compliance with them. At that point, confirming those laws is going to be the only thing necessary to have you on your way and continuing to your intended destination.

I never locked up ANYONE who I found to be in compliance with the law. Nor did I allow such an arrest by any one of my subordinates.

That said...
    FFLs are not LEOs... And Out of State FFLs can not be expected to know or comply with Maryland Laws which are only enforceable in Maryland

tomh

Jul 21, 2008

Never assume ignorance when in fact it could be malice. You can't buy them from him, so he doesn't want any business going to PA.

NickK

Feb 1, 2016
    Just picked up 3 30rd mags and a 40 rounder for my AR15 this past weekend at Cabela's at Christiana. Couldn't have been easier. I was concerned about this as well, but the one thing that is clear in this law is that possession of these within the state is legal.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Just picked up 3 30rd mags and a 40 rounder for my AR15 this past weekend at Cabela's at Christiana. Couldn't have been easier. I was concerned about this as well, but the one thing that is clear in this law is that possession of these within the state is legal.

:thumbsup:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The FFL I recently used was adamant that it was illegal for a MD resident to purchase >10 round magazines out of state and bring them home.

Never assume people behind the counter at gun shops are experts in state or federal law. Never assume they've ever bothered to read the law. Working at a gun shop does not automatically infuse legal expertise, reading proficiency, or comprehension skills. Working at a gun shop does not automatically eliminate ignorance, stupidity, laziness, or untruthfulness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom