• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    Is that legal? Just wondering if I bought them online and had them shipped to a friends address in PA/VA and then got them from their house. The transaction would happen in my name/credit card.

Its cheaper and easier then trying to get them at a VA/PA gunshop and I haven't been able to make a show.

Thanks.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Is that legal? Just wondering if I bought them online and had them shipped to a friends address in PA/VA and then got them from their house. The transaction would happen in my name/credit card.

Its cheaper and easier then trying to get them at a VA/PA gunshop and I haven't been able to make a show.

Thanks.
    No problem with CDNN Sports and many others.

Last year I tried ot with Cheaper Than Dirt and they nixed it because of my Maryland CC address even though the shipping address was Pennsylvania.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Try the IP joebobs. He doesn't mind different out of state shipping addresses... I've ordered a couple dozen mags this way. :)

If you don't mind the drive, NOVA Armament carries a lot too, just call first to make sure they have what you're looking for.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Bought 2 30 round Kriss mags for my Glocks. No issues. The actual transaction is not in MD so IMO I am legal to do so.

Some folks here disagree with that.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    The language indicates that this is legal as possession is not illegal and we aren't doing any of that other stuff.

It's just fine as long as you are going to there to get them, not having them brought to you in MD.

Midway and Aimsurplus are okay with this.

Punch84

Mar 29, 2009
    Carroll County
    Biggest problem is some company's will verify shipping address to credit card billing address. They say it cuts down on fraud. Had this happen with Larue when I tried ordering their UDE Pmags. 44mag will even ship "repair/rebuild" kits to a MD address.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A couple of members here were of the opinion that if you are in MD when you purchase, it's illegal. My argument is if the vendor did not charge MD sales tax, the purchase was not in MD and therefore legal

This does not address the issue of paying the tax after the fact. That's another issue IMO.

IANAL

Last edited:

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Uh, are we all looking at JoeBob outfitters?

$14.85/pmag windowed plus "MD" code for 5% off of order (and free shipping over $90)...

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    A couple of members here were of the opinion that if you are in MD when you purchase, it's illegal. My argument is if the vendor did not charge MD sales tax, the purchase was not in MD and therefore legal

This does not address the issue of paying the tax after the fact. That's another issue IMO.

This is interesting.
    Serious question:
    Hypothetically speaking, I couldn't buy my brother in law who is a PA resident a 30 round mag. for his birthday?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMO, and IANAL, if you buy the mag out of state, and have it shipped to him, you're legal. You CANNOT have it shipped to an address in MD.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    IMO, and IANAL, if you buy the mag out of state, and have it shipped to him, you're legal. You CANNOT have it shipped to an address in MD.

My head is spinning.
    So with a MD billing address on your credit card and a shipping destination in PA:
    1. Sit in MD, buy online and ship to PA: NO
    2. Sit in MD buy online and ship to MD: NO
    3. Sit in PA buy online and ship to MD: NO
    4. Sit in PA buy online and ship to PA: MAYBE, if the vendor ignores your shipping address.
    I guess for #4 it depends on where legally the sale took place: PA or MD.
    Geesh.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    My head is spinning.
    So with a MD billing address on your credit card and a shipping destination in PA:
    1. Sit in MD, buy online and ship to PA: NO
    2. Sit in MD buy online and ship to MD: NO
    3. Sit in PA buy online and ship to MD: NO
    4. Sit in PA buy online and ship to PA: MAYBE, if the vendor ignores your shipping address.
    I guess for #4 it depends on where legally the sale took place: PA or MD.
    Geesh.

I did #1 from JoeBob's, no problems what so ever (except it took me a week to get down to the in-law's house to pick everything up).

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    I did #1 from JoeBob's, no problems what so ever (except it took me a week to get down to the in-law's house to pick everything up).

That doesn't mean its legal :) All transactions are tracked, so if they decided to go on a witch hunt you might be liable.

Sounds like I just need to call and go out of my way and buy w/ cash. Thanks for the thoughts, I'd rather just sit on the safe side of the fence.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If the vendor did not collect MD sales tax, the purchase did not occur in MD. I have bought mags like this more than once with zero issues.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    That doesn't mean its legal :) All transactions are tracked, so if they decided to go on a witch hunt you might be liable.

Sounds like I just need to call and go out of my way and buy w/ cash. Thanks for the thoughts, I'd rather just sit on the safe side of the fence.

I wonder if there is a constititional issue with any of this. It makes me wish I was a billionaire and could go around filing lawsuits against the State of MD just to find out. :mad54:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom