• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    What all is needed from me and a person I may buy a used handgun from? Obviously this will be a legal sale and I need to know everything so that the process is completely legal. What do I need from the seller to register it? Anything else someone wants to add that may help me...

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Chris,

Where is the seller located?

In either case, you will need to have it transferred through an appropriate authority. If the seller is located out-of-state the, Seller must ship the gun to a pre-arranged local FFL01 who can then transfer it to you assuming you are eligible to own a handgun. If the seller is local, you can visit a MSP barracks and complete the paperwork there.

You will need to complete the handgun safety course required by the State and present that card at the time you do the transfer.

This is just a brief overview, does not constitute legal advice, and if I missed anything don't flame me too bad. lol.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Chris,

Where is the seller located?

In either case, you will need to have it transferred through an appropriate authority. If the seller is located out-of-state the, Seller must ship the gun to a pre-arranged local FFL01 who can then transfer it to you assuming you are eligible to own a handgun. If the seller is local, you can visit a MSP barracks and complete the paperwork there.

You will need to complete the handgun safety course required by the State and present that card at the time you do the transfer.

This is just a brief overview, does not constitute legal advice, and if I missed anything don't flame me too bad. lol.

^this

if you are both MD resident.. you can go to any MSP barracks and fill out paperwork there (leave the said handgun in the car until the trooper ask for it or need to see it.. also call ahead of time.. heard rumors some have special time for gun transfers.. assuming some locations do have those special times).

edit.. my bad.. rusty did mention the MSP route..:o

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    If you choose to go to FFL place, then either one of you (usually buyer) has to pay for FFL fee for as little as $25 to $60 or more. The plus side of this route is that you can leave your hand gun at the FFL place and won't have to see the buyer again. The transaction will then be handled by FFL at this point. The buyer will however have to pay another $10 for background check and get the barrel lock also- another $25 or so- if pistol is made after Dec31 2002. All these over the cost of pistol. Some pleace may charge sales tax also.

MSP route is probably the cheapest- $10 plus the cost of pistol. However, you have to meet the buyer twice- one to do the paperwork, one to sign the paperwork and transfer the ownship of the pistol to the buyer. ( You will need to mail these forms back to MSP soon since you no longer have posession of the pistol.) You also need to figure out what to do if the paperwork hasn't come back in about 7 days, and won't be for another two-three weeks. No barrel lock is needed, however. On average, it takes about 2 weeks to complete transaction this way.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    may want to say what your looking for, people here may have something your looking for

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I can honestly say that I have made three purchases from members of this forum. Each one has been an excellent transaction. All the transfers were done at a MSP barracks and all took less than two weeks total time.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I did a FTF transfer at the College Park Barrack. All went smoothly, but after 12 days I have not received anything back from the MSP yet. Called them today and got an answering machine, no call back from that either.

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    Jeez, thank goodness I don't live in Md. anymore!
    Around here you usually buy guns from friends at breakfast in town.
    "What are you carrying today?"
    "Really. Want to sell it?"
    "Thanks."
    So much easier.
    Come on down, y'all. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW