• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanseMacabre

Jun 11, 2023
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I want to buy several rifles prohibited by Maryland's "assault weapons" ban but, like many of you, am not permitted to do so. My question is as follows:

Am I allowed to purchase the prohibited guns outside of the state where it's not illegal & simply store them in a rented locker or will my MD driver's license & residency here force me to be bound by these stupid laws everywhere I go?

Asked my local gun shop owner this & he was stumped. I want a Garand, a Ruger Mini-14, a Ruger Mini-30, a whole slieu of AKs beside a Draco, & many other long guns now forbidden to me. I've wanted them for years & am sick & tired of being denied my 2A right to own them. I'm willing to store them in another state & periodically commute there to enjoy my rifles at a local range. The question I have is am I allowed to do this legally?

Any advice welcome, thanks!

~Danse

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Unfortunately, you and the FFL are required to comply with the law in both states. Because of this, an out-of-state FFL can not sell you a prohibited weapon legally.

I believe a Mini-14, Mini-30, and Garand are not banned in Maryland.

I'm not a lawyer.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Unfortunately, you and the FFL are required to comply with the law in both states. Because of this, an out-of-state FFL can not sell you a prohibited weapon legally.

I believe a Mini-14, Mini-30, and Garand are not banned in Maryland.

I'm not a lawyer.
    Only the folding stock Mini-14 is banned (by name).

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The answer is no you can't do it legally. Garands, Mini 14, Mini 30, and some AK variants are legal (including AK pistols).
    Any long gun you purchase in another state must be legal for sale in that state and your state of residence (Maryland)

DanseMacabre

Jun 11, 2023
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I was told everything I listed there falls under the ban by that same gunshop I mentioned. If I recall correctly, he told me M1s are on the list & that brings the M-14, M-30, the Garand, & the Springfield M1A1 under that category (the Springfield was what I was looking to buy off gunbroker at the time).

I'll have to dig deeper. I hope you're right & my guy advising me was wrong.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I was told everything I listed there falls under the ban by that same gunshop I mentioned. If I recall correctly, he told me M1s are on the list & that brings the M-14, M-30, the Garand, & the Springfield M1A1 under that category (the Springfield was what I was looking to buy off gunbroker at the time).

A lot of gun shops will tell you a lot of things. They ain't lawyers and sometimes give REALLY bad advice.

I would suggest getting a different opinion.

I agree with the common concensus in this room. Don't buy a banned rifle out of state. AFAIK, The mini-14 is only banned by name with a folding stock. The mini-30 and Garand aren't. The AK can be bought as a pistol or a different caliber.

Again, I'm not a lawyer.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Springfield M1A is on the ban list. M1 Garands are not. M14s are not even the same thing as an M1 Garand.

You’d have to buy the SBR versions of banned assault long guns in MD. A few people have done 15.9” barrel AKs.

You could also become a dual resident and buy stuff as the resident of the other state when staying in that state.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

You really should out this gun shop that is spreading this misinformation (presumably for almost 10 years now). Garand is specifically named as NOT banned. Mini14 (as long as it isn't a folding stock) and 30 are just rifles. Versions of M1A made by Polytech or not in 7.62 are also just rifles.

You'll see it discussed a lot here.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

Have you looked at the online naughty/not naughty list as a starting point?

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...TRUE&p_GroupCol1=MISC&PageFirstRow=101&&View={5E568F20-A495-4E49-A0E0-C53F530B98F7}

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

First, find a different gun shop.
    Garands aren't banned.
    M1A is banned with the exception of the the same rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmore

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    OP has been a member since 2011 with 4 posts… the whole post is odd. Did you just receive inheritance money or something OP?

Given your listed location, I can only assume the FFL you went to is known to be full of shit almost without fail.

If you are serious, go to Tyler Firearms and they will set you straight.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Definitely find a different gun shop.

Your informant is wildly incorrect, and so you can't really believe him about anything.

Who is this pontificating blowhard?

I would shake the dust of his shop from your feet.

If you look at the actual Ban List, you will see the Garand is specifically listed as NOT banned. Meanwhile, the M1A is banned, but it is a significantly different rifle from the Garand. Nonetheless, the Norinco version is not banned, and the Springfield Armory version in 6.5 Creedmore is also not banned. Note "Springfield Armory" is a private company. It is NOT the old Government Arsenal in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Mini 14s and Mini 30s are cash and carry, not banned except with the folding stock. Some versions of AKs are likewise not banned, but I'm not clear on which ones.

I applaud your plan to get a Garand. There is nothing like a Garand. All the others on your list are pale shadows.

You can get a surplus U.S.G.I. Garand shipped directly to your door at a very attractive price. It doesn't even have to go through an FFL. By an Act of Congress, the Civilian Marksmanship Program is authorized to ship Garands directly to the homes of qualified buyers.

Order your CMP Garand as soon as possible. For the past ten years or more, people who know have been predicting that the CMP will run out of Garands in only two more years. So do don't waste time.

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    OP has been a member since 2011 with 4 posts… the whole post is odd. Did you just receive inheritance money or something OP?

Given you’re listed location, I can only assume the FFL you went to is known to be full of shit almost without fail.

No, it says he just joined on June 11, 2023 so that would be Sunday.

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

Given you’re listed location, I can only assume the FFL you went to is known to be full of shit almost without fail.

OP showing as a June 11, 2023 join date for me.

On the LGS, where you thinking of a certain shot that may or may not be "worth a sh!t"?

DanseMacabre

Jun 11, 2023
    Glen Burnie, MD

Given your listed location, I can only assume the FFL you went to is known to be full of shit almost without fail.

Newp, only just registered my account 2 days ago. Must be a glitch. And this is my 2nd thread, plus 2 replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom