• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    I just went through this same scenario, and here is what I did.

First thing I did was to select where the safe would go, and then I measured the maximum size safe that would fit in that spot.
    Next, I measured my basement door, as well as the 90 degree turn at the bottom of my walk-up, to determine (again) the maximum size that would fit.

With those figures in hand, and knowing my budget, I went shopping.

What I ended up with was a Browning 34 cubic foot safe. It met my maximum size criteria and fit into my budget.
    Not the most high-end safe out there, but light years ahead of the Winchester sheet metal cabinet I bought on sale at BPS years ago. :)

Before the safe was delivered, I constructed a base for the safe.
    The bottom consists of a layer of 3/4" plywood, a 2x12 perimeter frame (lumber laying flat), topped with two more sheets of 3/4" plywood.

I'd estimate that the base itself weighs over 100 pounds.
    When the safe was delivered, it was set on my base and bolted down.

For handgun storage, I bought two Greystone racks from ManAboutRacks sized to fit across my top shelf.
    http://manaboutracks.com/greystonehandgunracks.aspx

The inside was configured for long guns on one side, and SBR's on the other (sitting on a shelf) which gave me storage underneath the SBR's.
    Humidity control is handled by an electric heater similar to a GoldenRod.

The Browning comes configured for long gun storage on the door, but I don't care for that feature as I use the door pockets for important papers, Passports, and similar items.

If anyone knows how to get those plastic gun bases off the doors without destroying them, I'd appreciate your wisdom. :cool:
    Removing those bases will open up space on the inside of the safe that I can put to better use.

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a Liberty in the garage. No complaints with the quality, fit or finish. Went with the flat gray finish(it's not funiture). I bought a heavy commercial quality rubber tread to put under it from Home Depot. Rubber is heavy, dense and almost an inch thick. Works for me. Of course it's full now. Don't know where I'm putting the next one.:innocent0

amish

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Fredneck
    Anyone have any comments / opinions on Cannon safes?

I'm debating what to get. A locksmith just down the street has some Cannon's, and it's a nice easy local delivery.

Although after checking out those Sturdy Safes online... holy crap do they look solid.

well just as an update I thought I would post a pic of my safe had it for a while and love it! thanks for all the advice everyone gave to help me make an informed decision.

Attachments

• IMG_9115 008.jpg
      IMG_9115 008.jpg
      49.3 KB · Views: 101

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom