• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    So kids are home with no school and VPN is down at work so I figured I'd get on some brass prep. I've got a bunch of LC .308 I've been tinkering with and I need to swage all the primer pockets.

I'm about 100 pieces in and the press goes POW! Hmm, that's not good. Roll it down and look things over thinking I set the brass in canted and I busted my RCBS swager pilot. Nope. Ok, run it up slowly. Front pin is separated from the press base. Stripped the threads right off. I was not running it up very hard and was lubricating the swager head with Unique. No real excuse other than inferior molding. I don't think this is a design defect since a search doesn't indicate this is a normal failure point.

I can get the part replaced from Lee for $15.00 and upgrade the old ball handle in the process for another $32.00 or I can send the entire thing back for refurbishing for 50% of retail price (no thanks).

Or... I can just head down to Bass Pro and pick up an RCBS Rock Chucker and be done with it. I was saving up for a Forster Coax but I guess that's off the table in the short term.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3406.jpg
      IMG_3406.jpg
      45.6 KB · Views: 340
    • IMG_3407.jpg
      IMG_3407.jpg
      50 KB · Views: 336

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Yeah, I considered the helicoil but the kits I've seen are in the $25 range and if indeed it is a casting fault in the base I'd rather just get a new one.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Man that is a shame, is the frame Aluminum ? I kind of stayed away from Aluminum so haven't had any issues like that . I have repaired an Alum Head with a Hela-coil but not sure in Your situation if that would Work ! Good Luck.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    The big problem I have is that I wasn't abusing the press and it broke and the Lee site says my only option is to send the entire thing in with a 50% retail payment to have it fixed.

Whereas, whenever I have had even the smallest problem with an RCBS product they shipped new parts out with no questions asked.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Dillon or RCBS for me, for this very reason. Forster is an excellent press, Rockchucker is no slouch. Hope it all works out for you.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Is that refurbishing a quote that Lee gave you? Seems like something they would want to make right rather than have more reasons out there for people to avoid them.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Looks like not enough thread engagement. I'd run a helicoil in it and get on with business. Even if you sell the press cheap after purchasing your next desired press you'll still have the helicoils for some other use.

I have a Lee original 3 station turret press I still use on occasion. Part of the bell crank/pull lever assembly stripped out/buckled. A shock washer put me back in business....for 35 years. The rest of that press may eventually die but that washer sure won't!

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Thanks all for the advice. My neighbor is a mechanic so I may ask him if he has a spare helicoil. Buying a dozen doesn't make much sense. More likely, I'll just buy the part from Lee. I bought a Rock Chucker at Bass Pro with a Christmas gift card and some cash. I didn't realize how much beefier that RCBS was until I pulled it out of the box. Also didn't realize how redneck the name was until my wife saw the box on my bench.

"So you broke your press and went out and got a... rock... chucker... ?"

:party29:

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    It's the aluminum model, about 4 years old. Huh, I thought I'd recognize the material more easily than that. Should have put a magnet on it...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Call Lee first and see what they say.

I have had good luck dealing with them.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I second contacting them. The one occasion I had an issue with a set of dies they sent me a new sizing die IIRC for free.

And yes the cast iron version of that press is heaver duty. Same as the Casic cast single stage vs Breech lock single stage presses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom