• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Hi folks. I've been doing a bit of reading on this subject and wanted to get the opinion of those here wiser than I am when it comes to reloading.

Last year I worked up some loads for my .308 using data in the Sierra manual. I did not go over the maximum load as I was very nervous my first time through the process.

One thing I noticed and just remembered now that I'm going to try loading up some 175 SMKs is that the min/max loads from Hodgdon and Sierra differ greatly. The max load listed in the Sierra manual is below the minimum load according to Hodgdon.

Hodgdon: Min = 42.0; Max = 45.0
    Sierra: Min = 36.3; Max = 41.7

As I work up loads and pay attention to pressure signs, should I even consider approaching the Hodgdon maximum load? Look forward to your suggestions.

Rifle: Remington 700 SPS Varmint
    Brass: Lapua
    Powder: Varget
    Bullet: 175 gr SMK
    Primer: CCI BR-2

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Give the powder manufacturer a call, ask about recent changes to the powder mixture / lot variances and mention that you have these drastically different loads in the two manuals.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    I, too, use the Sierra manual and have noticed the same thing.

I generally always check the powder manufacturer's load data and use that for maximum. The disparity is probably part caution on one side and partly due to the variance of the testing gear and practices in the tests of the loads.

I try to load to the "Accuracy" load noted in the Sierra manual. Thus far, I have not run into any accuracy load in the Sierra manual that is above the powder manufacturer's maximum.

--Dan

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    WY
    I have the Sierra Manual, too. I have found the data to be very conservative. Almost to the point of being worthless.

It is pretty much universally known in the circle of precision/ tactical/ f-Class/ whatever shooters that the 175 SMK and 45.0gr of Varget is a full-throttle load, and there are a lot of folks who shoot that exact load.

Your mileage will vary with different rifles, brass, etc- but you should certainly be able to safely start @ Hodgdon's suggested starting load of 42.0gr Varget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom