• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Ok. Here's my saga of sportorizing a Mosin (heresy, I know). I wanted a project deer rifle for my adult son. I've been looking at the ballistics, durability, flame throwing capability and decided to spoterize a mosin for him for Christmas. I have a hungarian refurb that is too pristine to mess with. I figured for a $80 Mosin and another $70 stock with a el cheapo scope, he would have a decent rifle. I made the mistake of letting him pick out the stock. He ended up choosing a bull-pup stock from Center Balance Rifle Platform Systems (www.cbrps.com). The price was more than I was expecting ($270 for the base, $80 extra to make it entirely an evil black rifle and then $17 shipping) Talk about polishing a turd. But it's what my son wanted and it was a gift so who am I to bitch.
    I order the stock in Oct 10 with an anticipated delivery of Dec 10. When Dec rolled around with no delivery, I called Bernie from CBRPS. He was having issues with his supplier and had been overloaded with recent orders for some unexplained reason. He would get it out to me as soon as possible. Mid Jan 11, I received noticed that it was ready to be shipped. I paid via paypal then told my son to order the mosin. He had researched them a bit and came to the conclusion that he wanted a hex receiver 'cause supposedly they were more accurate. Aim surplus has the hexes for $79 with an additional $10 for handpicked. He called Aim and learned that the hand picked only referred to the exterior. They do not check the bores but was assured they were all firers.

Here's the stock

The AIM mosin

Just need to clean the cosmo off and I will start the conversion. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Lordy, Lordy! look what else was in the order. Wonder how that got there??

Attachments

• P1010815.jpg
      P1010815.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 562
    • P1010816.jpg
      P1010816.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 561
    • P1010824.jpg
      P1010824.jpg
      50.8 KB · Views: 571
    • P1010817.jpg
      P1010817.jpg
      74.2 KB · Views: 557

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    I guess all you need is a laser and flashlight attachment for the revolver.
    Nah. Keep us updated though.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    No offense, because it will be fun to see the bullpup mosin, but we're talking $80 for a mosin $270 for a stock $80 for it in all black + 70 for a scope, that's $500!

For $500, he could have recently got picture 1, without the scope but with the diopter sights! Or he could have gotten a $300 SKS and a $200 bullpup kit from SG Works for a total of $500 and had picture 2 (not regulated with the factory mag).

Still a Mosin Bullpup is a cool idea.

Attachments

• DSCN1163.jpg
      DSCN1163.jpg
      89.2 KB · Views: 507
    • DSCN1068.jpg
      DSCN1068.jpg
      85.5 KB · Views: 506

GoufCustom

Jan 30, 2010
    MD
    Agreed, I want to see this. But really WTF, for $600 you could have bought a bottom of the line AR, and it would have been better.

Poor Mosin.

But, to each his own, free will is a good thing.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Sounds like something entirely different which is what makes it interesting. There are thousands of Mosins lurking in members safes that if you threw them in a pile it would take years to tell them apart.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    i'm really curious how it shoots with the bull pup stock.
    I wouldn't mind doing that but i can't get myself to spend that kind of money.

I'm having enough trouble with wanting to get a 70$ trigger for an 80$ gun.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    i'm really curious how it shoots with the bull pup stock.
    I wouldn't mind doing that but i can't get myself to spend that kind of money.

I'm having enough trouble with wanting to get a 70$ trigger for an 80$ gun.

I will say this, the two stage trigger in the M28/76 is smooth, it's a very nice two stage trigger. Not quite as good as my wifes CZ527 in match mode, but superior to it otherwise. That's saying quite a bit!

Mark

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Can I recommend sporterizing a *different* Mosin than that 1925 dragoon pictured?? That one is not as common as the wartime 91/30 types.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Here it is done as far as I'm concerned. He'll have to get the bi-pod himself and put it on. You should have seen him! He built it himself and was absolutely giddy the entire time. It's a non-destructive sporterization and I can put this old dragoon back to original with very little effort. Yeah, I could have done something else cheaper but watching him build this was worth the money. Time for the range!

Attachments

• P1010829.jpg
      P1010829.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 341
    • P1010831.jpg
      P1010831.jpg
      33.2 KB · Views: 341
    • P1010827.jpg
      P1010827.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 330

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I think it looks good! If a carbine fits (don't know why it wouldn't), that would shorten it up a bit too.

Don't worry about the price, doing something with your kids and making them happy is one of the best things a dad can do :thumbsup: Cost be damned! Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom