• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebalt

Nov 4, 2014
    Catonsville, MD
    desiccants are expensive online - I found a place that sells 55 lbs of blue indicating for about 150 shipped - considering most desiccants are 6.00 for 40 grams, that is about 60.00 as opposed to bulk which is 3.00 per pound... of course you get the little container but still...

I don't need 55 lbs but would split an order if someone(s) would be interested.. it comes in one big bag but could easily be split up...

mikebalt

Nov 4, 2014
    Catonsville, MD
    That ends up being 14.00 per pound.. i like the idea of a lot of it for use in a large gun safe.. not hard to make a big container out of pvc pipe and put on caps and drill holes..add a magnet to stick to the side and you can make 1 lb desiccant tubes... who knows that might be a good business to get into!

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Is there anything wrong with using Damp Rid and checking it monthly? I get a little water in the container monthly, and empty it out, and refill the pellets as needed.

Q

mikebalt

Nov 4, 2014
    Catonsville, MD
    silica gel desiccants can be recharged in an oven or microwave thousands of times... so nothing wrong with that damprid stuff but again if you do the economics of it...

mikebalt

Nov 4, 2014
    Catonsville, MD
    http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Choice-Crystals-Pail-12-Pound/dp/B0002ML1OK

There you go. Picked up this tip from some friends that use it as humidity control for cigars. The only problem is keeping cats out of your ammo box :lol2:

Unfortunately not the same stuff - can't be recharged and does not change color to let you know when its not working any longer... not bad tho if you just want to pore it into an ammo can = for gun safes and cases I want the better stuff...

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Is there anything wrong with using Damp Rid and checking it monthly? I get a little water in the container monthly, and empty it out, and refill the pellets as needed.

Q

Damprid is a bad idea with firearms..

7. "Avoid metal " appears on the container. What is the danger? DampRid is a salt product. If the absorbed moisture comes in contact with metal for a period of time, the metal will corrode.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Choice-Crystals-Pail-12-Pound/dp/B0002ML1OK

There you go. Picked up this tip from some friends that use it as humidity control for cigars. The only problem is keeping cats out of your ammo box :lol2:

What's the name for a box you keep cigars in? Oh, yeah, a humidor:

i
    deal humidity in a humidor is around 68-72% of relative humidity.Though it can go higher or lower depending on the cigar smoker's preferences, it should never go higher than 75% due to the possibility of hatching tobacco beetles. The more empty space, the more readily the humidity level of the box will drop or rise.

All humidors contain a humidifying system which keeps the air moist, which in turn keeps the cigars moist.

Not what you want to do with a gun or ammo

Sharadeth

Oct 11, 2011
    What's the name for a box you keep cigars in? Oh, yeah, a humidor:

i

Not what you want to do with a gun or ammo

You are right, but it was my understanding that the idea was to soak them a little first and the desiccant will release the water at a steady rate. If you leave them dry then they should help dry the air out.

I'm definitely not an expert on silica but that's my limited knowledge :o

7. "Avoid metal " appears on the container. What is the danger? DampRid is a salt product. If the absorbed moisture comes in contact with metal for a period of time, the metal will corrode.

Correct. It is Calcium chloride (CaCl2)- the same white pellets sold as driveway ice melt.
    It will work, but if you spill the "juice" you'll have a firearm rust nightmare on your hands. I wouldn't take the risk.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia

Correct. It is Calcium chloride (CaCl2)- the same white pellets sold as driveway ice melt.
    It will work, but if you spill the "juice" you'll have a firearm rust nightmare on your hands. I wouldn't take the risk.

Gents,

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know it was that corrosive. It's away from the metal items on the floor of the safe. I'll make sure to not spill the liquid/juice as I remove it. I'll look at the powered rod option, but how much does it cost in electricity to run them? A few bucks ($4-$5) per month is ok, but $20+, may look at the bulk desiccant option.

As a side note, if you know anyone in the aviation repair industry, they pack turbine engines, and other items with desiccants when they ship them. They usually throw the bags out. Unfortunately, they don't change color, but you put them on a rotation cycle.

Q

I use a lot of desiccant in air drying systems for ozone generators. In my safe, I use a Goldenrod.
    I have found this to be a good value...
    http://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-788...8&refRID=0YVRZ95QV48C69TGXPEV#customerReviews

I prefer the color changing beads- Royal Blue to Baby Blue to Clear/Pinkish Clear because they are very indicative of moisture removal and how soon a desiccant recharge is needed. I use it mainly for ozone production (large marine aquariums). Ozone production is very dependent on a low dew point/dry air.
    There is no question whatsoever on their condition with the type of beads linked above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom