• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I'm interested in building a 308 AR. I do not want to build a super accurate SASS type rifle, more along the lines of the original AR10. If it shoots as well as a FAL that would be sufficient.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I looked into doing this as well at point and realized it's more expensive than just buying one, for the most part.

If you are intent on building one up then just check AR15.com marketplace for the AR10 section and parts are always available. But if you are not putting it together yourself I'd say just buy something completed and swap out furniture.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    I looked into doing this as well at point and realized it's more expensive than just buying one, for the most part.

If you are intent on building one up then just check AR15.com marketplace for the AR10 section and parts are always available. But if you are not putting it together yourself I'd say just buy something completed and swap out furniture.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

I agree, I built 2, and I shoulda bought them new. The cost of parts are more than a dpms.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I assembled a .308 AR with parts bought from Midway and Brownells using a matched receiver set I bought off gunbroker. The total cost was just over $1300.

CDNN has the Armalite AR10A4 with an adjustable stock for $1099. If you want to save money, it's better to buy an assembled rifle, but if you like the task of assembling and fitting a rifle, then pay the extra money and assemble one.
    http://www.cdnnsports.com/ there are 8 rifles at this price at the time of this posting.

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    It can cost more yes, but building from the ground up not only allows you to customize to your liking from the get go but also effectively allows you to spread the cost out over time with no term limit or monthly payment schedule. Not to mention some of us have a bizarrely insatiable urge to tinker haha.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its hard to match the complete gun price. Its not like AR15's where you have multiple manufacturers building to milspec driving the price down.

I probably have $1000 in my AP4 building separate, nothing fancy.

That said, if Palmetto ever starts making their .308 recievers cheap I will be all over it.

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm interested in building a 308 AR. I do not want to build a super accurate SASS type rifle, more along the lines of the original AR10. If it shoots as well as a FAL that would be sufficient.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Would something like this be what you're looking for, assuming you haven't took care of it by now?

http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-Classic_ep_100-1.html

I have something like that on my wish list, but I would prefer to have Armalite's name on it. Problem is, Armalite only makes the dumbass flat top A4's now.:rolleyes:

So here's what I've been researching lately. I'm not interested in the clamp-on front and rear sights that Armalite sells. So, how about the idea of replacing the Armalite front sight base with that of an A2 AR-15, like what's on that DPMS? According to Armalite's website, the barrel on their rifles is .750 at the gas block, so no reason why it shouldn't fit.

Of course, it also comes with the added benefit of the libtard-offending bayonet lug.:)

Next, the carry handles Armalite sells are high, so with one of those on it the rifle may not even zero. Whereas, the one on the DPMS looks lower should line up better with the A2 front sight.

What say you all?

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Its hard to match the complete gun price. Its not like AR15's where you have multiple manufacturers building to milspec driving the price down.

I probably have $1000 in my AP4 building separate, nothing fancy.

That said, if Palmetto ever starts making their .308 recievers cheap I will be all over it.

How cheap are you looking to get receivers? PSA had blems for $99.00 a few weeks ago but alas they won't ship to MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom