• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    Hey gents, so I sold off my old AR to build a more "Battle Ready" weapon that can be used and abused a bit more. After reading on the forums, researching parts, and gaining some general knowledge, I'm almost ready to get this thing put together.

I've already purchased a fully assembled upper, the stripped lower is on the way, and I'll be gathering the last but of what I need to piece it together.

What should I be concerned about? What are the essential tools I need? Who wants to help cuz I'm nervous! LOL

Any sound advice, tips, tricks, etc will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Hardest task you have is putting the front take down pin detent and spring in I use the help of another person when installing mine they make a tool for it but just a waste of money In my opinion I'll post detailed pictures of step by step here in a few

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Youve got all the knowledge you need leatherneck.

I didnt use any special tools on the first 2 rifles. Its easy, i used a parts diagram from google images, and a 2 part video from you tube.

What have you ordered so far?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    There are a couple great tutorial online.

You need a wrench for the stock which I can lend you if you like. Also make sure to take your time putting the firing group together I put something in backwards and that cost me a little while to fix and I hear its a fairly common mistake.

Also make sure you do it in a room that makes it easy to find small pieces as you shoot them across the room..... You will see what I mean when you get there ;)

Have fun! I build my first lower in a hotel room on a business trip :-)

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    It'd help to know what you already bought. The upper is really what separates a bad AR from a good AR.

I look for things that are MPI or HPT and made of the right materials.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I bought the tool for the front takedown pin, the little bit it costs made it alot easier to do by myself and it was better than crawling around on the floor looking for that little detent (don't ask how I know). Roll pin punches made it easier for me also.

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    I watched Dan at GC use a razor blade to hold down the detent and spring while sliding the takedown pin through the holes. Obviously it was flat enough to let the takedown pin pass over it but strong enough to keep the detent and spring in check.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Quality iron sights (no plastic). Fixed, pinned FSB. If using optics, battle-proven only. No parts that stick out more than usual that can snag on clothing or gear. No parts that unnecessarily add weight (meaning if it has no obvious battle purpose, then it shouldn't be there).

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Take down pin install with detent and spring is fun.... Not!
    Use a large bag and do it inside that so you don't lose it from shooting across the room.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    Thanks for the replies, guys! This is what I have so far:

-Daniel Defense Upper w/ Omega X 12" rail and DD BCG
    -Troy front and rear BUIS
    -Magpul RVG
    -Magpul MOE Grip
    -Magpul CTR Stock (Milspec)
    -Troy Ambi QD End Plate
    -Spikes Tactical Stripped Lower (enroute from NM)

What I plan to purchase:
    -Daniel Defense Buffer kit
    -Daniel Defense LPK
    -Magpul BAD lever
    -BCM Gunfighter CH
    -Battlecomp 2.0
    -Aimpoint PRO

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    Wow nice setup!!

Yeah I didn't want to cut corners. Purchased my first AR without doing much research and wound up selling it. I think I'll be much happier with this one once it's all put together. Still learning about the platform...it was much easier in the Corps because you didn't need to know the intricacies, just how to shoot it...hahaha

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    WARPIG [USMC];1588933 said:
    -Battlecomp 2.0

Are you planning to run a suppressor? The Battlecomp 2.0 offers no performance benefit over the 1.0 other than the "over the flash hider" suppressors work with it and not with the 1.0.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    Are you planning to run a suppressor? The Battlecomp 2.0 offers no performance benefit over the 1.0 other than the "over the flash hider" suppressors work with it and not with the 1.0.

Not anytime soon, but I like having the option if I choose to go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom