• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do not use gravel!

Any soft dirt, prefereably screened to remove any rocks. Bank run will do, however you might get a rock or two.

3 feet is the rule of thumb (tamped will stop a 50 BMG).

However, dumping dirt into a pile. The height is usually twice the width (thickness) of the base. You want the 3 feet depth to be where the rounds are entering the pile.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    You can rent a Sheeps foot compactor or something similar to compact it into place, while doing this placing the dirt in lifts of no greater than 6" and then compacting it should yield a berm that is quite substantial and capable to withholding many rifle rounds.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Hey

I've seen stacked tires, filled, holding dirt in place. a few staggered rows so nothing slips through the cracks.
    Oh, don't use the rims. :innocent0

I like the idea of a huge mound of dirt better.

Good luck.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I plan to build a berm this spring. My plan is to stack tires 6 high, 3 deep staggered, all filled with soil. Albeit, I'll be shooting into thick woods and far from a residential area.

I expect it to stop my rounds without any real problem. I like the tires for less year-to-year maintenance as they hold the dirt efficiently.

UNcommon Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 16, 2011
    Howard County
    ...for shooting at home. Who here has done it?

What kinds of materials are you using? How thick did you make it?

I'm looking to make something that'll stop rifle rounds. My largest caliber right now is .308 Win.
    When I excavated for my 500' drive I used the soil to build a 6' T x 20 W X 100' L, planted it with pampas grass which is robust and not harmed by shooting at it. :-)

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I've seen stacked tires, filled, holding dirt in place. a few staggered rows so nothing slips through the cracks.
    Oh, don't use the rims. :innocent0

I like the idea of a huge mound of dirt better.

Good luck.

Tires are not recommended because of a tendency for low velocity rounds to bounce back or ricochet. Wood such as railroad ties is also not recommended.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Check your county rules before you go too far. Some of the counties here have to inspect your range and if that is the case I would want their guidelines before you start.

I'm used to dirt supported with the railroad ties (military std it seems).

I thought about a few plastic drums for limited use, or one of the large 300 gallon water totes filled with soil.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, depending on the county, you may not be far enough away from others to shoot.

Better to check first.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    +1 on the dirt only. I've seen many rounds ricochet off of tires and wood.
    Agreed, ours is approx 15' tall and close to 30' deep. We used soft dirt, tamped, and more dirt until the height was correct. I would note that you should build it a bit larger than your intended dimensions; as it will settle.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Another option is if you have a sloped grade, dig down and make the shooting area level. This precludes having go go upwards as high with the berm. Make sure to grade for proper drainage so your excavated area doesn't turn into a frog pond when it starts raining.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    As said above, large pile of dirt is the way to go. If you can afford a few dump trucks, and can get them where you want your berm, its not much work involved. I've been shooting in the one out back of the house for years.:)

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    As said above, large pile of dirt is the way to go. If you can afford a few dump trucks, and can get them where you want your berm, its not much work involved. I've been shooting in the one out back of the house for years.:)

You use dump trucks for your backstop? :)

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Built one. AACO officers came out and just said keep shooting. It is 7' tall x 25'. All dirt. About 4 hrs on the backhoe. Montana Gold JHP 9mm will go 12 to 18" and hold their shape. I often shoot a couple logs end grain for large caliber rifle, thumb tacks hold the targets easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom