• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    The only thing holding me back is the tools. I need the Armorors wrench and a torque wrench. And a few punches. I actually own some go nogo gauges.

Lowers are easy. Uppers require expensive tools.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The only thing holding me back is the tools. I need the Armorors wrench and a torque wrench. And a few punches. I actually own some go nogo gauges.

Lowers are easy. Uppers require expensive tools.

Not necessarily. You CAN spend big money on some tools if you want to, or you can save 50% and buy the same tool without the fancy name. ;)

Reaction rod for example, $100 if it's from Geissele. Less than $50 from Brownells, etc.

Clamshell vise blocks, the whole set from Wheeler is usually less than $40. And unless you plan on doing A1 carry handle uppers or billet uppers, it'll do what you need it to do as long as you don't go too crazy on the barrel nut torque.

If you need to exceed 40ft/lbs for the barrel nut, then I'd lean towards the reaction rod to keep stress off the upper and barrel index pin.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    As one who is always on the look out for AR hype BS, there is no hype with the Tubb's buffer spring.

To say my stock spring went TWANG each time the trigger was pulled is an understatement. It was LOUD. Sounded like a Jack In The Box.

Went to the range and tried my new Tubb's buffer spring for the first time today. That flat wire spring is DEAD QUIET. Well worth the $28.00 plus shipping.

Much thanks to my neighbor for the suggestion.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Here ya go.

tubbs 001.JPG

spring.jpg

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As one who is always on the look out for AR hype BS, there is no hype with the Tubb's buffer spring.

To say my stock spring went TWANG each time the trigger was pulled is an understatement. It was LOUD. Sounded like a Jack In The Box.

Went to the range and tried my new Tubb's buffer spring for the first time today. That flat wire spring is DEAD QUIET. Well worth the $28.00 plus shipping.

Pretty sure Clandestine says regular buffer springs are one of the top wear items on an AR ... one of the first things he looks at on a non-functioning gun brought to him ... but that he has NEVER seen a bad Tubbs spring. 50,000 cycle lifetime ... you'll never wear it out.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007

The hype is you paid 28.00 for a spring that doesnt make spring noises.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    ...and has 10 times the life span.

I'd hope, for 7 times the price of a standard buffer spring. I'd rather keep a few spares on hand. You also lose the ability to tell when your rifle is empty by sound if the spring is silent.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'd hope, for 7 times the price of a standard buffer spring. I'd rather keep a few spares on hand. You also lose the ability to tell when your rifle is empty by sound if the spring is silent.

My bolt holds open when empty

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    My bolt holds open when empty

I didn't say it wouldnt, but the last shot in a magazine is an audibly different sound after firing. The "Sproing" sound is much different if you're paying attention to it you can tell.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I either have JS SC springs or Tubb springs in all my guns and I have no problem knowing when my gun has run dry. It's a totally different feel as I'm sure you know and carbine length buffers generally don't even have a pronounced twang no matter what the spring type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom