• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Understood.. the Stag was just slightly more (but again I really don't know the difference).

I agree 100%. The free floating hand guard just looks better (imo).

Thank you.. any of the 3 you prefer and why? I wouldn't be carrying mine into battle either, lol. Appreciate the response. Itll be a bit for me, but I find this thread interesting.

How does that compare to the others listed above? I don't know anything about Haniver Armory, but it looks like they build all their firearms in house? Does that make them superior in some way? They're a little more pricey then the ones listed above.

@Topshift5 just a thought... I'm sort of in the same boat interested in an AR but I opted to get a .22 built on the AR platform. Fun to learn about, shoot with the kids and not break the bank while doing so. I opted for a Tippmann M4-22 Pro. In the last few weeks we've managed to shoot a lot more for a lot less and still get the feel for it.

I know not really what you're looking for but I couldn't find anyone saying anything bad about it and it cost around $480. Just an idea, maybe it wasn't on your radar, maybe you're dead set on a "real" AR.

Thanks for the replies!
    Of the 3 mentioned I suppose I’d prefer the Windham, since I did put it through its paces pretty hard and it responded well. Not that the Stag or Ruger wouldn’t, but I just haven’t tested them in that capacity yet. I know the Windham will perform if needed. That being said, my go to AR rifle is a LWRC which I’ve also ran hard and put away wet. My go to 5.56/.223 however is a Tavor bullpup (for much of the same reason but a few others as well). But I’d stand a wall with the Windham for sure.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hi all!

I’m going to finally pull the trigger on AR15 over the weekend and I needed some opinions/guidance from those that have went the DIY Build route or Buy route and if you had to do it all over again would you still choose the same route.

This will be the first and only AR15 that we will have. We don’t plan on buying more. Maybe in the future we will expand to different firearms (shotgun and handguns).

1. The use of this AR will strictly be for recreational purposes at shooting ranges. Preferably outdoors if we can find good ones locally.
    2. Budget is ~$600 on the top end.
    3. It will get used probably once or twice a month at the range until I get bored of it.

So… after doing some research I’ve came upon this Diamondback Firearms DB15 that I can order it from local shop and get it in my hands in about a week timeframe.

My thing is should I just go for this fully ready to go out the box one or my $600 could be better spent piecing out putting together a custom one.

I came to find out if I choose to go custom route and get a stripped lower ($99 from Hanover Armories, I was told I need to go through the Form 77R process and wait a week) if I get a fully assembled it’s only the Form 4473.

For a DIY I was thinking:
    Stripped lower ~$100
    Upper ~250
    Stock ~$50
    Lower Parts Kit ~50
    Bolt Carrier Group ~ 100
    Misc parts ~100/150

If I can make a DIY that is far superior to Diamondback DB15 for a few more bucks I don’t mind going close to $700 if it can feel that much different.

Or should I just get the DB15 and spend rest on ammo and call it a day?

If you have built a rifle around 6-700 price point would you do it all over again or just go buy a new mass produced rifle and use the money saved towards ammo as theoretically aren’t all AR’s able to shoot a target down range?
    Where did you come up with 250 for a upper? I can't get a good free floated handguard and barrel for less than 350, then I have to get all the other parts.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    $600 as an upper limit is really going to limit you for what you can build or buy.

Also remember, we have the HBAR requirement, so if you want to be legal, whether you build or buy, you'll have to have a compliant barrel in any upper you have.

Regarding lower parts kits, I'd recommend the PSA MOE EPT lower parts kit:

It has everything you'll need to build out a full lower with a decent stock and grip, plus a trigger that isn't garbage - it's a single stage trigger that's pretty smooth. The pull weight on the trigger will be around 7 lbs, but you can easily do a JP springs kit that will take that trigger pull to about 4-4.5 lbs.

The AR platform is a bit of a rabbit hole - even after you have your build completed, you may well find yourself contemplating upgrades - better optic, different trigger, different handguard, better pistol grip, different stock, different muzzle device....

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Delton has rifle kits, including HBAR, for about 450; everything but the lower.

My first AR was back in the Oblamo chaos:
    Deton lower
    Delton carbine length upper.
    LWRC LPK

The thing has run flawless.

I've also bought another upper from Delton; 11.5" IIRC.
    I ordered it without the BCG or charging handle but received them anyhow. I contacted their CS and they told me to enjoy!

Per my review their products are good and company good. My other AR's are LWRC's and PWS, and I am no AR guru.

Good luck OP.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Don't bother trying to build your first. You will need tools and are likely to struggle with sourcing HBAR. Simply buy a $599 AR as mentioned from WW or Ruger , etc. Shoot it, learn how it operates and see if you really like it or if you would prefer some changes such as a different caliber, different barrel length. If so you can always build a second rifle and it will easier because you are familiar with the weapon. Also, if you Buy a MD Legal AR, it won't be difficult to sell if you decide to upgrade. If you build a Franken Rifle, good luck getting rid of it.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I know this is dumb but I prefer the look of the free float hand guard and if this had it, I'd buy it asap and get it shipped to a local FFL.
    Windham Weaponry has models with free-floated hand guards. I am old-school and prefer a sight tower that is staked to the barrel. These three registered short-barreled rifles (11.5", 14.5" and 12.5") are are my favorites. This is the way God intended AR's to be built IMHO. I am in the minority and to each his own.

sbr-556-colt-hrt.jpeg

sbr-556-bci.jpg
    sbr-556-aeroprecision.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There are so many options, and so many rifles that specialize in something, or are designed to be versatile, kinda hard to make a recommendation. Building is really the only way to get exactly what you want, provided you know exactly what you want. Buying is simple, comes with a warranty, and not everyone wants to go through the expense of acquiring tools, or take the time to learn how to build. Budget does matter, but not as much as acquiring a firearm that meets your needs. There are a LOT of people that buy a simple rifle, then upgrade part after part until you end up with the build you want, and an expensive box of useless parts. In that case, would have been far less expensive to build what you want from the start, even if it would blow the initial budget. There are also many that are perfectly happy with a simple M4 pattern rifle, and don't really want or need anything more.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    As mentioned, one advantage of buying a complete rifle is that you do the 4473 and walk off with it.

An advantage of building is that it avoids the federal 11% tax that manufacturers have to roll into the price of a complete rifle.

You don’t need to literally “build.” You can just buy a complete lower and complete upper. No tools are necessary to put the two together.

Here is an HBAR upper from a good brand that already has the hard parts built out. They’ll even attach a muzzle device for you.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I built mine because my opinion is that if you build it, you will be intimately familiar with how it works and you'll maintain it properly. Although I carried M16's and M4's in the military regularly, I learned much more about the platform by building one. I also had a 10 year hiatus when I retired so I lost knowledge.

I used Del-Ton parts exclusively, except for the 80% lower and the bolt carrier group. Del-Ton didn't have BCG's or even the parts to assemble one in stock when I was gathering my parts so I bought that piece elsewhere. I selected a mid-length, 1x9 heavy barrel.

The inexpensive trigger kit was a mistake. Inconsistent pull, very heavy and gritty. I replaced it with an ACT single stage trigger. That's the only part I'd do differently. The ACT single stage is very affordable so I dumb to skimp on such an important part.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The other disadvantage to building vs buying is price - anecdotally it just seems to be a bit more costly to build vs buy.

On the subject of triggers, I've read so many good things about the ALG ACT trigger, but I have yet to get one. I have the "knockoff" EPT in two guns and both of mine are nice triggers - a huge step up from the stock milspec triggers I've had.

With that said, the main reason I got the EPT wasn't because I bought that specifically. I bought the EPT as part of a lower build kit offered by PSA. It's a slight bump in price over the kit with the milspec trigger.

I have a Lantac cartridge trigger in another gun that I don't particularly like - I might have to try the ALG ACT in that one.

Last edited:

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Windham Weaponry:
    This. If you can spare an extra hundred or so bucks for the above, you are getting a categorically better rifle than that made by Ruger or Delton.

Buy once, cry once. Outside of upgrading furniture and a few bells and whistles, you'll not need nor want for more than this Windham can give you based on your needs.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Windham will be fine. Like others have said, there will be more. I bought my first couple from the factory. After a while you will decide what you like and what works best for you. Once you start messing with Geiselle triggers and decent optics you wonder how your first AR cost “only” $600. black rifle disease is real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom