• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadetree

Feb 5, 2013
    Nottingham
    Oldcarjunkie that's savage is great. A jap A5 mag is going to be in the safe in the near future and love to put a new one beside it, but those scary guns are eating up my fun money thanks to MOM.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Japanese A-5

I have 2 - one in Light 12 and one 12 Mag both late 80's - early 90's guns with invector (not plus) choke tubes. Love 'em both...although I shoot my Citori much more these days. My understanding is that all the Japanese guns, with or without tubes) work with steel shot provided the choke is not full...and, of course, tube guns shouldn't be shot will full chokes either. In fact, the Modified tubes for these guns are marked full choke for steel. I know of a couple people who have fit Japanese barrels to older Belgian guns because of the steel issue. Before I knew people who did this, I thought I read somewhere that a Japanese barrel had to be fitted to a Belgian gun. I don't think that was the case, however, with my 2 friends...although I can't say definitively. I also have a friend who has an old (and now well beaten) Browning A-5 Belgian that he has shot for many years with both lead and steel shot (it's his go-to goose gun) without apparent damage...although who knows what the steel may have done to the choke over the years. I personally wouldn't do this to a real nice Belgian A-5.
    Interesting...I wasn't aware of a Savage version of the A-5. I have however owned an 'American Browning' A-5 (made just after WW II) that was actually manufactured by Remington. It was a good deal less expensive than a later Belgian or even Japanese gun (although the Polychoke probably helped kill the value...even though many polychokes were factory supplied for the Remington produced Brownings). Then, of course, there were the Remington Mod 11's which were close clones as well...and almost always much less expensive. There was another take off on the Browning A-5 some years back...it was the original Browning A-500 and it's later successor the A-500R. Thses were recoil operated like the A-5, but would handle any combination of shells in 2-3/4" or 3" (I don't think the 3-1/2 12 ga shells were out when these were produced). I have one and it was my primary Deer shotgun from the late 80's - early 90's (after that I joined a club in a rifle area). FYI, I used that gun with a smooth bore RS slug barrel for a few years with standard slugs and then for a few years used it withan extended choke tube having rifling to shoot sabots. Believe it or not, the choke tube with rifling worked about as well as a fully rifled barrel (My son has a Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and I have a paradox barrel for my A-5 Light 12). Oh, yeah...there is another A-500 that is designated the A-500G...but it's gas operated as I believe the Browning Gold Hunters are. The Gold Hunter seems to the the A-500G successor (and it also handles 3-1/2 shells).

Last edited:

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I have a belgian 16 gauge, a belgian 12 gauge magnum and a savage clone...30" full choke is my got to trap gun...not bad for $175!

Attachments

• 1366671418-picsay.jpg
      1366671418-picsay.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 75
    Last edited:

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I've held a couple of the new A5's, but haven't shot one. It feels the same and points the same as the classic humpback, but the aluminum frame makes it a fair bit lighter.

As I understand the internals are based on the venerable Beretta action and gas system. So I'd expect reliability to be good. But as I said, I've not shot one.

I'll eventually own a Belgian A5, but I've not found one yet in a 20 gauge skeet configuration.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    According to Browning they are a newly developed short recoil system....but then, I not even held one.

Sorry, I meant Benelli instead of Beretta. Browning calls it the "Kinematic Action" which is essentially a modernized version of the inertia system designed by Benelli in the 1960's.

As mentioned, I've held a couple of the new A5's, but not shot one. Id like to for sure. My impression is that it would make a very nice field gun. Clay target shooting is really my interest, and for me I found it to be too light. I prefer a bit heavier gun for target shooting.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Sorry, I meant Benelli instead of Beretta. Browning calls it the "Kinematic Action" which is essentially a modernized version of the inertia system designed by Benelli in the 1960's.

As mentioned, I've held a couple of the new A5's, but not shot one. Id like to for sure. My impression is that it would make a very nice field gun. Clay target shooting is really my interest, and for me I found it to be too light. I prefer a bit heavier gun for target shooting.

Wouldn't mind putting my hands on one to try it out. I only rarely shoot my A-5s anymore, and haven't shot my A-500 in ages...but they all come up nice and handle well in the field and on the range. The A-500 was (well, is) a pretty good concept as it shot the 2-3/4/ and 3" shells interchangably in any order. I would presume the new A-5 would as well...and also handle the 3-1/2" in the mix. They look to be pretty pricey...but what isn't these days.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    My 1938 vintage Belgium Plain Jane, I love it but like most anything else Id swap it off for something else. :o

Attachments

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      39.5 KB · Views: 41
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      41.8 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member