• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    Just bought a new leather holster for my SR 1911 and the inside of the holster is ROUGH - the nap is all hard and I am afraid to use it for fear of scratching. Anyone have some thoughts on how to soften that up - it is like sandpaper - or should I just send it back?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    you could send it back, but you very likely will get one just like it.

here's the thing, even if the nap WASN'T rough, a leather holster can still **** your shit up because of the tannic acid in the leather used during the tanning process

I would suggest, so long as the holster is a dark color or you prize function over looks, to get some ballistol and rub it into the leather.

Not only will this allow the leather to soften up on the inside, it will allow the leather to better mold around the gun, giving it a kind of springy elastic memory rather than a TOUGH resistance to all movement.

Ballistol is alkaline, and interacts with the tannic acid, neutralizing it, and transforming it into a compound that fills the pores of the leather, leaving them impermeable to water. Water finding it's way into holsters is another reason leather holsters are bad for leather, and even worse for the guns stored in them.

The ballistol will migrate throughout the holster, and become very soft and supple. Instead of harming your gun, every time you put your gun into it it will come out with a very light coating of preservative oil on it- instead of moisture and tannic acid.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I use Ballistol on my Tokarev holsters, and store the guns in said holsters. Even on my Zastava M57s which can be prone to rusting I have not had a SINGLE SPOT OF CORROSION on any of the treated holsters' guns, at least not one that appeared or got worse after being housed there.

It will darken any leather you put it on, however, making it appear wet. Leather LOVES the stuff and drinks it in like crazy, so that all the room between the fibers of the leather will be filled with ballistol. It will actually make the leather swell a tiny bit, making the holster a tiny bit tighter, but will also lubricate the inside, making it easy to withdraw the firearm when you need to.

Dec 6, 2011
    The tightest holsters that we ever issued were the Safariland SS3's. Soaking the inside with spray silicone and leaving the pistol in the holster was the best way we found to get a decent fit. I never had a rust problem even when standing out in the rain for hours at a time. Maybe it was the silicone....or maybe Beretta 92's and Glock 17/22's are just that good.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Silicone will fill that space, just like the ballistol will. However, it will not neutralize the tannic acid, and will not chemically make the holster impermeable to water thereafter.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just muscle the gun into it , snap the retention devices into place , and put it some place safe ( like a safe) for a week or two. The leather will gradually conform itself.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would contact the holster maker.

Depending on how the leather was tanned and how the leather was treated in making the holster, doing the wrong thing can damage the leather.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    I use Ballistol on my Tokarev holsters, and store the guns in said holsters. Even on my Zastava M57s which can be prone to rusting I have not had a SINGLE SPOT OF CORROSION on any of the treated holsters' guns, at least not one that appeared or got worse after being housed there.

It will darken any leather you put it on, however, making it appear wet. Leather LOVES the stuff and drinks it in like crazy, so that all the room between the fibers of the leather will be filled with ballistol. It will actually make the leather swell a tiny bit, making the holster a tiny bit tighter, but will also lubricate the inside, making it easy to withdraw the firearm when you need to.

Thanks! Will the holster bleed the ballistol onto clothes etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Last time I needed to sofen up a leather holster, I used saddle soap, rubbing it in well and then holstering the pistol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But holsters aren't supposed to be soft. Leather is supposed to be stiff. The beauty of dead cows is its ability to. Subtly mold itself for an even , close fit , while remaining stiff ( but not totally rigid ) generally.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Holsters will eventually wear the finish on any pistol, if you want to keep the gun pretty, don't keep it in a holster. Long term contact with certain things like oil or solvents can also do things to the holster, gun, or ammo, so don't coat the holster in anything if you don't know how it will react. Leather will soften and form over time, saddle soap can clean loose dye and chemicals while breaking in a holster a little faster. Silicone spray can leave a pistol gummy and slippery if used inside, although on the outside of the holster it can help repel water. Never used Ballistol in a holster, but if it works like AM says might be worth looking into. Better holsters with a velvet or suede lining are nice, I have a few, they retain a little better, but draw smoother, and don't wear the finish as much, it's an option I really like to get when I order a holster.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Thanks! Will the holster bleed the ballistol onto clothes etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The short answer to this is yes, a very very very tiny amount.

It's in no way noticeable, however. The main place that ballistol will be making it's self available is to the fuzzy, untreated, non sheened side of the leather.

The shiny side will still absorb it, and make it's self non water permeable, and a tiny tiny tiny amount will be on the surface of the leather, but not even enough to make it feel like it's oily, just slick like teflon.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Holsters will eventually wear the finish on any pistol, if you want to keep the gun pretty, don't keep it in a holster. Long term contact with certain things like oil or solvents can also do things to the holster, gun, or ammo, so don't coat the holster in anything if you don't know how it will react. Leather will soften and form over time, saddle soap can clean loose dye and chemicals while breaking in a holster a little faster. Silicone spray can leave a pistol gummy and slippery if used inside, although on the outside of the holster it can help repel water. Never used Ballistol in a holster, but if it works like AM says might be worth looking into. Better holsters with a velvet or suede lining are nice, I have a few, they retain a little better, but draw smoother, and don't wear the finish as much, it's an option I really like to get when I order a holster.

Just for the record, NEVER USE BALLISTOL ON SUEDE! It will change the color and take away from it's natural properties and beauty.

That said- love me a fuzzy holster

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    Spray silicone in the holster and then put the gun in it for 24 hours. The holster will conform to the shape of the gun, lubricates the inside of the holster for ease of draw, doesn't stain the leather and isn't harmful to the gun. Never store a firearm in a leather holster for any length of time, not even stainless.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Put a liberal amount of lube (CLP or even Vaseline!) on the pistol/revolver, then wrap TWO layers of 'Saran Wrap" very tightly, around the pistol/revolver.

Soak the leather holster in WARM water, until it's saturated.

Then, place the pistol/revolver into the holster and secure with the holster strap, etc.

Place the holstered pistol/revolver in a warm (not hot!) location and let the holster dry completely.

When the holster dries, you have a holster than is approximately .003" larger and is formed to that particular firearm.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Put a liberal amount of lube (CLP or even Vaseline!) on the pistol/revolver, then wrap TWO layers of 'Saran Wrap" very tightly, around the pistol/revolver.
    Soak the leather holster in WARM water, until it's saturated.
    Then, place the pistol/revolver into the holster and secure with the holster strap, etc.
    Place the holstered pistol/revolver in a warm (not hot!) location and let the holster dry completely.
    When the holster dries, you have a holster than is approximately .003" larger and is formed to that particular firearm.

I did exactly that years ago to make a new baseball glove conform and it worked.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Many holstermakers will point out that suede and similar linings will Incrrease finish wear. Unavoidably *stuff* and *crud* will find their way into the lining , and will be more abrasive than plain leather. That's why many makers won't offer a lining.

Any pistol that is actually carried will have some finish wear. It is minimized by being as closely fitted , to minimize the small movements of the gun in the holster.

Bfy43 shows us his old school roots ! This does go beyond mere break in to hand boning .This does what it does. It will mold the holster exactly for a specific gun. Ie no longer strictly for say a 4in K Frame , but a tapered bbl , heavy bbl , and shrouded bbl would all be different. Counter indicated for carved holster, and problematic for basketweave .

I've done a cpl , and did a Buck110 sheath inadvertently during a canoe misadventure. But for the most part I'm good with a holster that was decently dersigned in the first place , and a dry break in.

Any gun that is actually carried ( particularly blued ) will have holster wear. Honest holster wear is not a flaw , but a sign of cvharacter and a badge of honor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom