• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigEarn86

May 11, 2014
    Shooters, I have been a long time follower of this thread. I have been in Charles County since 2005. I frequent Myrtle Grove. Sad news. I just moved into a new house in January. In the vicinity of Billingsley Rd and Bensville Rd. Well I discovered an attempted break in, yesterday, via pry marks on a ground level window and they did break into my outside storage room. Stole a chain saw. Scary situation. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up and vent! I am thankful they didn't get into the house. Anyway, I am off to buy a gun safe today for all the valuables. Now I just need a dog. Anyone know where I can get a German Sheppard!:mad54:

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Wow, it is always a scary situation. Maybe invest in some flood lights, and an alarm system. Also, maybe "harden" your home a little more. Eitherway, I'm glad to hear you and your family are safe and okay.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Regrets for your misfortune. Flood lights with motion sensors would be a good addition to your new home. Dogs serve a useful purpose as both an alarm system and as a second line of defense after good locks.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Glad to hear you're safe as well.

I second the hardening of your home. Interior doors as well. It helps a person to sleep better at night.

Opinion alert: Buy a real safe. Not one of the $99.97 specials. They are very lightweight, not fire resistant, and they can be carried off.

johnb007

Jul 6, 2011
    As a fellow Charles county resident, I find this disturbing. Even more so because I'm not too far from you.

Sent from my android device using carrier pigeons.

BigEarn86

May 11, 2014
    Thanks everyone. I put a game camera out back. And I will be taking all the advice you guys have given. I am on my way Hagerstown to pick up a Patriot safe in about 2 hours. Weighs around 400 lbs. The best I can afford for now. Worst part is not knowing if they will be back. And the surprising part is that I am on a secluded piece of farm land. Maybe that made me an easy target. They even hit the window with a brick. But it did not break. Let's hope CCSO comes through with fingerprints!

Dec 31, 2012
    Shooters, I have been a long time follower of this thread. I have been in Charles County since 2005. I frequent Myrtle Grove. Sad news. I just moved into a new house in January. In the vicinity of Billingsley Rd and Bensville Rd. Well I discovered an attempted break in, yesterday, via pry marks on a ground level window and they did break into my outside storage room. Stole a chain saw. Scary situation. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up and vent! I am thankful they didn't get into the house. Anyway, I am off to buy a gun safe today for all the valuables. Now I just need a dog. Anyone know where I can get a German Sheppard!:mad54:

That's one hell of an intro post.

safe
    cameras
    dog
    lights

I think the previous posts have hit on the important things.

Having been through this I know you will not sleep easy for awhile.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    May I suggest a Belgian Mallinois? Best dog I ever had and the breed the SEALs took with them to get Bin Laden. Fewer hip problems too.

Mine lost a leg to bone cancer a year ago and he's still the best guard dog I ever had and can run circles around other dogs. Heck, a month ago he jumped a six foot fence with one back leg. I swear that dog is tough as nails.

BigEarn86

May 11, 2014
    May I suggest a Belgian Mallinois? Best dog I ever had and the breed the SEALs took with them to get Bin Laden. Fewer hip problems too.

Mine lost a leg to bone cancer a year ago and he's still the best guard dog I ever had and can run circles around other dogs. Heck, a month ago he jumped a six foot fence with one back leg. I swear that dog is tough as nails.

Of course. I'll take any suggestions. I have been to the Charles County Human Society a few times. Any other ideas of where to source decent dogs. I guess the new thing is online? Just seems sketchy to me.

Dec 31, 2012
    Of course. I'll take any suggestions. I have been to the Charles County Human Society a few times. Any other ideas of where to source decent dogs. I guess the new thing is online? Just seems sketchy to me.

There have been pups listed in the classifieds on this forum. My Chessie came from one of those listings.
    There were Shephard listings not too long ago, maybe 7 weeks.

Create a new thread
    "Looking for a dog"

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Sounds like the neighborhood we moved out of a few years back. Berryhill Manor. Nice neighborhood until....the school was built behind it, expansion of the neighborhood brought in some shady characters. Lucky for us, the housing market went crazy and we sold for almost triple what we paid for the house. Cannot wait until we can finally leave this armpit of a state. Yup, we are one of the 47&ers looking forward to leaving.

PIT BULL

Mar 5, 2013
    Best thing I ever did was move out of Chuck Co. It is a shame too,it was a good place to grow up when I was a kid.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.

Maybe an alarm system w/ motion detectors? x10 makes some neat wireless stuff. http://www.x10.com/

BigEarn86

May 11, 2014
    Thanks again everyone. I think I have done what I can for now. I will continue to harden and review the security. It is nice to have a place to go, with like minded people, when something like this happens. Be safe, and happy shooting.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your problems. Did you notify police? Even if your not going to turn it in to insurance the paper trail is important if you have another attempted break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom