• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I recently purchased over 300 cases for my 45-70 and they all showed up with various levels of tarnish on them. Most of them just have a few brown spots on them that clean off pretty well after a night in the media tumbler with crushed walnut. However, about 30% of them have some very slight pink spots at the base of the case, right where the rim meets the body of the case. Should all of those just be pitched? I can post pictures if that would be helpful, but the pink spots are so small that the camera might not pick them up.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Brass will tarnish. As long as there's no corrosion or metallic breakdown the case in the pic looks good to me.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Here's a fancy picture, this time I used the flash.

Attachments

• IMG_0730.jpg
      IMG_0730.jpg
      39.1 KB · Views: 267
    Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Pink is an indication that the zinc has leeched out of the brass to leave copper. If it polishes off then it should be no worry. If it doesn't polish off then you've got a pocket of copper in your brass casing. Copper without zinc is softer and won't hold up to the pressures of shooting as well as that of intact brass.

What you decide to do with this information is completely up to you. I'd be wary of using it personally.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Pink is an indication that the zinc has leeched out of the brass to leave copper. If it polishes off then it should be no worry. If it doesn't polish off then you've got a pocket of copper in your brass casing. Copper without zinc is softer and won't hold up to the pressures of shooting as well as that of intact brass.

What you decide to do with this information is completely up to you. I'd be wary of using it personally.

Learned something new.

Good info.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Well, I hit it with a stiff brush and the irksome pink tarnish came off and didn't appear to leave any pitting. I'm going to go ahead and reload it and let you know if it blows up.

Jul 1, 2012

Excellent point.... I don't know about cartridge cases but with brass instruments (trumpet etc) this pinkish-reddish color is a sign of the deadly "red rot" or "brass rot". It occurs from inside out and by the time you see it on the outside, the damage is done and there's usually a pinhole (possibly near microscopic) at the center and a fair amount of corrosion on the inside. You can clean it off the outside but the brass tubing will be very weak. It takes a good long while to form though.

These cases are probably fine but if at all possible also check the inside of the case carefully for signs of pitting & discoloration.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Good info all the way around! I honestly never even gave the pink a second thought, I guess I will have to inspect my brass more cautiously now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom