• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budders7

Aug 29, 2010
    Severna Park
    I am looking to pick up some brass punches locally. I haven't found any yet so if anyone knows somewhere that definitely carries them let me know. I could get some online, but I should be picking up my lower Friday from the group buy and was hoping to build it sooner.

I am in Crofton if anyone would let me borrow some, but I would prefer to buy them.

budders7

Aug 29, 2010
    Severna Park
    Thanks for the reply. I gave up and ordered some from midway with my cases. Nobody stocks them in brick and mortar stores that I could find. No instant gratification for me.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    You can get by without using a punch. You would use roll pin punches anyway, not brass ones.

I've done all of mine like this.

For whatever reason he's now broke it down into two videos. (I guess for Youtube.)

EDIT: Just saw that you bought them. You'll find other uses for them anyway. :)

budders7

Aug 29, 2010
    Severna Park
    You can get by without using a punch. You would use roll pin punches anyway, not brass ones.

I've done all of mine like this.

For whatever reason he's now broke it down into two videos. (I guess for Youtube.)

EDIT: Just saw that you bought them. You'll find other uses for them anyway. :)

BLAST! I watched this video. I need some splaining. What is the difference between a regular punch and a roll pin punch? The tip seems to be pointy based on my googling. I ordered this
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=147183

Should I be ordering something else?

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    BLAST! I watched this video. I need some splaining. What is the difference between a regular punch and a roll pin punch? The tip seems to be pointy based on my googling. I ordered this
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=147183

Should I be ordering something else?

You'll be fine. I use an old finish punch I had from my carpentry days. It doesn't take much to get them in there. You can just about do it with a hammer alone.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The videos guthook posted will walk you through the process pretty well. I finished my "Plain Jane" build with my Spikes lower today. It was my first AR build and at first it was intimidating, but it came out just fine.

In addition to all the info on the forum here I found this helpful:
    http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Roll pin punches have a nipple at the tip to hold them on the pin as you drive it in. You'll only be driving in two roll pins (bolt catch and trigger guard). I had a set of Lyman roll pin punches I bought a while back they worked perfectly. Be sure and protect the receiver with tape when you install the bolt catch in case you slip.

The hardest part for me was installing the pivot pin detent and spring. I launched them on my first attempt. Fortunately I found them both. I don't have an installation tool, so i duct-taped the receiver on it's side to my bench, placed a cardboard box in front to catch the parts if they went flying again and held them in place with a box knife blade as I inserted the pin. It worked.

Read the build procedures, watch the videos, and understand each step. And take it slowly. I found out it's not all that difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom